50% UPS Brokerage fee????

kazoobers
Community Member
I bought an item that was $99.95 US. The Seller charged me $16.00 for UPS standard shipping to Canada.

The package arrived and here is a Brokerage C.O.D. due to UPS for $54.17. What a rip! The seller said nothing about additional fees due IN ADDITION to the $16.00 I paid him for the shipping. By looking under Help in eBay, I see there is nothing I can do about it.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 1 of 950
latest reply
949 REPLIES 949

The seller may not have even known about the brokerage fees. That is strictly UPS. The seller doesn't get a penny.

Besides, it's your responsibility as the importer to know the rules. Unfortunately, how you found out is how a lot of us find out.

But $54 on a $99 item does sound a bit high. Did you check the UPS invoice to see if the item was valued at $99?

From now on, if at all possible, have items from outside Canada shipped by postal service. Some sellers insist on using couriers, however, so make sure you find this out before you bid.

What do you get when you divide the diameter of a jack-o-lantern by its circumference? Pumpkin Pi.

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our leg with a shopping cart, then apologizes for doing so, why do we say 'That's okay'?  It ISN'T okay.  So why don't we say 'That hurt, you stupid idiot?'

Message 2 of 950
latest reply

nicki9912
Community Member
it is not the seller's responsibility to know what our brokerage fees are

its up to us as individuals to research this

always avoid UPS, unless your item is under $20.00 Canadian

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

we canadians want to deal with USPS = Unites States Postal Service, never UPS

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Vote Here For My DustBuster

please visit my FIRST video slideshow "Buster – The Wunder Dawg"

Photobucket
Message 3 of 950
latest reply

nicki9912
Community Member
Oh jeeze, marnie sniped me , while I was diggin up the link !

marnie, you little ole snipper you

Photobucket
Message 4 of 950
latest reply

What do you get when you divide the diameter of a jack-o-lantern by its circumference? Pumpkin Pi.

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our leg with a shopping cart, then apologizes for doing so, why do we say 'That's okay'?  It ISN'T okay.  So why don't we say 'That hurt, you stupid idiot?'

Message 5 of 950
latest reply

nicki9912
Community Member

Photobucket
Message 6 of 950
latest reply

kazoobers
Community Member
"its up to us as individuals to research this"

Only if I knew about "brokerage fees". I have bought a significant number of items from the USA and never came across this until now. I have learned a lesson.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 7 of 950
latest reply

possibly $38 brokerage and $16 gst/pst (if you are in ontario) - you'd pay the taxes anyway on the item (its charged on the converted value of the item from US funds to CDN funds) - and the brokerage you will pay when it is shipped by a courier service, as mentioned

brokerage will be a nominal $5 or $8 when you receive it by mail - plus of course the applicable taxes

so yes, you paid about $30 more to have it come by courier
Photobucket

Message 8 of 950
latest reply

sir_edward_ross
Community Member
so yes, you paid about $30 more to have it come by courier

and that is on the cheap side of what I use to estimate UPS brokerage fees, ($40 - $60).

so all things considered kazoobers, you got lucky your mistake only cost you $30. :^O

USPS = good

UPS = bad

Vote Tux! Best Penguin in Town!

La guerre, toujours la guerre. Pourquoi pas l'amour?

Message 9 of 950
latest reply

It sucks, doesn't it? I once bought a computer case online for $100 US, shipped via UPS (keep in mind this was before I knew the horrors of brokerage fees). Well, the UPS brokerage guy opened the package and re-assessed it for about $550 (assuming it was a complete computer), and charged me an insane brokerage fee plus about $120 in taxes and duty. It was so bad that I had to refuse the package, and ended up losing everything I paid. A pretty big loss, but it was still better than paying $200 in fees. Even if they'd assessed the proper amount I'd still have lost my shirt.

That was before I knew there was a way to dispute those types of charges. If you ever get ripped, remember that you can plead your case. I believe I downloaded a dispute form from Canada Customs, and it did work.
Message 10 of 950
latest reply

d888g
Community Member
Firstly, someone should make this note "sticky" so that all canadians know the perils of UPS.

Secondly, is there a prefferred shipping method from the states? that is, what should one use to ship stuff to Canada, USPS Air vs surface vs the gauranteed rates?
Message 11 of 950
latest reply

moogie1*
Community Member
Preferred ship method from the USA is USPS Air ..unless of course the item is too heavy or too large

Vote for BUSTER and nicki9912 .. ebay Cutest Puppy Category
Message 12 of 950
latest reply

alusus, UPS can not open packages or re-assess the value of the contents. Canada Customs would be the one opening & re-assessing. After re-assessment you would be charged a brokerage fee for the new value.Canada Customs needs the money anyway.:-D
Message 13 of 950
latest reply

I received a package from UPS once on behalf of a friend. She had bought perfume for $50-US and I paid on her behalf another $35.00 UPS brokerage fee. The UPS guy told me that many people refuse them, they are sent back to the seller and other arrangements made.
This particular seller did not indicate UPS.
I myself will not bid on an item when the seller only uses UPS and when I email for shipping cost, I always ask if they use UPS, then when I have won the auction I will remind them that if my item is sent UPS I will refuse delivery and explain why. US sellers don't know or care what UPS charges. They probably lose alot of business dealing only with UPS. Always ask, even if it isn't mentioned
Message 14 of 950
latest reply

you were lucky the perfume made it through - they are not allowed usually
Photobucket

Message 15 of 950
latest reply

realterm
Community Member
UPS is a scam. I just bought an item for $100 from the US thru Ebay.
The item arrived and UPS wants about $50 for Brokerage COD. What the f*ck is that!!!There was no indication by the seller that I had to pay additional amount. Ebay should make buyers aware of this SCAM.
Message 16 of 950
latest reply

You say perfume shouldn't have made it through - why ?
Message 17 of 950
latest reply

There was no indication by the seller that I had to pay additional amount. Ebay should make buyers aware of this SCAM.

As I said earlier, the seller may not even be aware of this, and even if he is, it is the buyer's responsiblity as an importer to know the rules. But I agree that eBay could do more to let members know about brokerage fees.

You say perfume shouldn't have made it through - why ?
Perfume is considered a dangerous good (flammable liquid) and not allowed to be sent via Canada Post. However, in the case referred to above it was shipped UPS. I don't know if UPS has the same restriction.

Message 18 of 950
latest reply

UPS is not a scam, its a business
Photobucket

Message 19 of 950
latest reply

od5ooa
Community Member
Sorry, but for US->Canada it's a SCAM/Rip-off/une arnaque.

I once bought something worth 40USD from US.
The UPS guy automatically put a 100$ value on the package without asking the sender. (That's how i could dispute the charge and get reimbursed.)

And don't defend them UPS with the "Canadian customs is evil" theory, because the same Customs inspects _ALL_ packages legally entering Canada through anywhere, not only those from UPS. The law is for everyone, yet only UPS has problems. Guess where the failure is.
Message 20 of 950
latest reply