50% UPS Brokerage fee????

kazoobers
Community Member
I bought an item that was $99.95 US. The Seller charged me $16.00 for UPS standard shipping to Canada.

The package arrived and here is a Brokerage C.O.D. due to UPS for $54.17. What a rip! The seller said nothing about additional fees due IN ADDITION to the $16.00 I paid him for the shipping. By looking under Help in eBay, I see there is nothing I can do about it.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 1 of 950
latest reply
949 REPLIES 949

n529jkjr
Community Member
i know someone who works at UPS there brokerage rates are 38% lower than other brokers which is great! and there are many valuable reasons for using UPS.
Im going to tell you all a useful tip.

when you ship via AIR with UPS there are no Brokerage Fees involved you get your shipment and thats it. so keep that in mind when someone is shipping to you or your shipping and want to save hassle.

i can list you a name of many other brokers that are high, but UPS can be quite high,
but they can be also low.
Message 41 of 950
latest reply

I'd say K&N is right up there with the high ones...

used mainly for large businesses though..
Photobucket

Message 42 of 950
latest reply

bootiette
Community Member
Like everyone else, I have my sad sob story about buying something on Ebay from the US. The lesson I've learned...if the seller won't ship US postal service (to avoid the high brokerage fees), then I just won't bid. I'm not going to get mad or sue or leave negative feedback for my bad choices. WE all have choices...choice to contact UPS and find out rates, choice to contact Canada Customs to get rates, choice to contact brokerage houses, etc.

People....life's too short to stay mad...learn from your experience and go on!!!!;-)
Message 43 of 950
latest reply

thomsontim
Community Member
You know what the same thing happened to me today.
And they (FedEX) can go f*** themselves.
I bought an item worth 66.00 us and got a bill from fedex today for another 25.00 Can.
There is no Duty owed on a hard drive as per free trade.
The extra charge is for fedex's own brokerage fee.
They claim that that is what it cost them or at least that is what they charge (ie the broakerage fee) to report to customs that I owe 4.73 GST.
Fedex added there own 19.00 fee plus GST rotflmao as if.
Here is what I am going to do.....I am going to send a money order to Otawawa for the 4.73 GST and a copy of the money order with the bill from fedex saying no thanks please dont pay the GST for me as I allready sent a payment directly to the Goverment.
Message 44 of 950
latest reply

cliff1125
Community Member
UPS Rates into Canada
http://ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html
Plus Duty
Plus GST
Plus PST
Plus 2.7% to collect the above .... X-(
Message 45 of 950
latest reply

A lil late to do that now, thomsontim, Fedex already DID the work for you and they WILL be wanting their bill paid...
Photobucket

Message 46 of 950
latest reply

kookywookie
Community Member
UPS is a scam. I bought brakes for C$40.65. UPS left notice in my mailbox asking for C$37.02 import charges!!! This is insane. C$29.55 in brokerage charges. 73% brokerage fees??? UPS can shove the brakes up theirs.
Message 47 of 950
latest reply

kookywookie
Community Member
This is the second time UPS burnt me. They did the same, as what they did to pmistel, to me. I bought a network card for US$32.00. UPS guy charged me C$21.86 at my door. About a week later they sent me another bill for C$21.86. I emailed UPS, but they ignored my email. Some time later I got a letter from a collection agency, D & B Receivable Management Services, saying I need to pay C$21.68 again. Payed the anal fornicators the C$21.68 again, as I didn't want my credit screwed up.
Message 48 of 950
latest reply

so stop buying it from another country - go down to your local auto parts store and buy it there....
Photobucket

Message 49 of 950
latest reply

yehawis
Community Member
Foe goods coming ionto Canada: UPS is gouging ebayers who should be warned in advance. The do not inform the shipper who prepays the item and then COD their brokerage fees.This is gouging and all of ebay should boycot them as a shipper.I was just charged $41.34 for a 100.00 declared value item that I won for $40.00. I refused to pay after the delivery guy gave me the package and called their 1 800 # to complain. They eventually waived the charge. Complain loudly and maybe we will all be heard!!!!!!
Message 50 of 950
latest reply

ccantlon
Community Member
I found this out the hard way a few years ago. Bought a fishfinder from Hummingbird in the U.S. The exchange rate was high but the duty almost ripped me a new butt hole.....I ended up paying 3 times what the original cost was... that really turned me off buying from the States.
Message 51 of 950
latest reply

vicjunior
Community Member
Unnecessary Percentage Scam
Message 52 of 950
latest reply

mauws2005
Community Member
It is possible to broker it yourself. You don't neccessarily have to live near the border either if the company that ships has a facility in the city you live in. You can refuse delivery at the door and tell them you are going to broker it yourself. Then you can go to canada customs office and do the paperwork, take the paperwork to the warehouse and pick up your article. Most cities have a ccr office.
Message 53 of 950
latest reply

jappanina
Community Member
Holy Moly! My good friends sent me a gift of a digital camera--very nice of them! Unfortunately, they sent it from the States via UPS. Now I actually already have a digital camera. So after the brokerage fee and GST I spent $80 for a camera (camera was $240) I don't really need. I know my friends would be mortified if I told them this so I had to just eat the charge and smile. But oh how it hurts!

I was thinking that after what they paid in shipping (who knows what), and what I paid, that $240 camera actually cost us all probably $340 dollars. It makes me sick. I wish they could have just sent me a gift card to future shop! UPS sucks!!
Message 54 of 950
latest reply

mauws2005
Community Member
If you broker the package yourself, you avoid all UPS's overinflated fees. Here's how:
Print out the final value (what you paid on ebay)
Call UPS with the tracking # and tell them you want to broker the package yourself.
When it gets to their depot in whatever city you live in, they'll call you and you can go down and pick up the paperwork from them.
Take that and your copy of your auction total to the nearest Canada Customs office. Pay the duty and taxes owed and they'll stamp your papers.
Then you take it back to UPS and they give you your parcel.

For example, in Winnipeg, UPS Depot is on Dublin and Rt. 90. You go to the clear door on the route 90 side of the building and pick up your paperwork. Take that to the Canada Customs office on Wellington (couple blocks from Rte 90 in strip mall). Once they stamp it, you go back to the UPS Depot to the door on the opposite side of the building and they'll give you your parcel.

It's a little more work, but at least you avoid paying brokerage.
Message 55 of 950
latest reply

s.brake
Community Member
i always try for the mail service. if its ups i ask myself how much do i really want the item, after adding $100 at least, and make my decision. its the way it is.
Photobucket
Message 56 of 950
latest reply

fyi, a UPS Class Action lawsuit has been filed in British Columbia on the basis that "UPS fails to obtain consumers' consent to act as customs broker, or to disclose the existence or amount of the Brokerage Fee which they charge, or to provide consumers with the opportunity to arrange for customs clearance by themselves. It also claims that the amount of the Brokerage Fee charged is grossly excessive." You can join the class action. Other provinces are expected to follow suit. See
http://reviews.ebay.ca/UPS-LAWSUIT-IN-CANADA_W0QQugidZ10000000002180422 for details.
Message 57 of 950
latest reply

hobbled
Community Member
As far as I'm concerned, UPS (which seems hardly any faster than the regular postal services) is a borderline criminal organization with its outrageous brokerage fees.
Message 58 of 950
latest reply

peterking100
Community Member
the same thing happened to me 2 times and i learned if they will not ship USPS i do not bid and if they will only ship ups and i realy want it i have to be ready to pay the bill 260.00 dollars on a 149.00 bid. never never never never never bid if it is ups only

good luck
Message 59 of 950
latest reply

alzhp
Community Member
I actually got HUNDRED PERCENT brokerage rate !!!!!! I won a Windows MCE remote @ $36 ($40 can) and UPS rang at my door with a $40 can bill !!!!!!! NEVER EVER USING UPS AGAIN. If the seller doesn't offer USPS, I ask for it and if not I won't bid.
Message 60 of 950
latest reply