50% UPS Brokerage fee????

kazoobers
Community Member
I bought an item that was $99.95 US. The Seller charged me $16.00 for UPS standard shipping to Canada.

The package arrived and here is a Brokerage C.O.D. due to UPS for $54.17. What a rip! The seller said nothing about additional fees due IN ADDITION to the $16.00 I paid him for the shipping. By looking under Help in eBay, I see there is nothing I can do about it.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 1 of 950
latest reply
949 REPLIES 949

UPS Firefly - Serenity

This made me cry a little. I'm not sure exactly why.

Take me out to the Black

Tell them I ain't comin back

I don't care

I'm still free

Since I found Serenity.

Message 921 of 950
latest reply

Message 922 of 950
latest reply

carpediuhm
Community Member

Both UPS and FedEX do this...honestly the list of fees they have is endless:

Line charges, OGD fees, COD fees, NRCAN fees, disbursement fees, ACI Fees, CFIA Fees, Government Department fees...it goes on and on.

Bay City (a customs broker I work with (not at)) is an alternative to some of the big box brands, that charges far less - Follow this link to read more about ups brokerage fees there's also a price chart that compares their fees to other brokers. 

The problem is that ultimately it's the ebay sellers who will have to switch the brokerage firm they are using. Whether its bay city or an alternative, I would seriously advise you to tell your sellers to start using other firms. 

Message 923 of 950
latest reply

rolly0071
Community Member

If you don't want to waste your own time going to Canada Customs to clear your own parcels, check out ClearSmart.ca for much cheaper brokerage rates than UPS and Fedex. Unfortunately any items over $20 in value have to be cleared through Canada Customs and duty/taxes have to be collected. I found this website is the cheapest way to clear goods.

Message 924 of 950
latest reply

rolly0071
Community Member

Check out ClearSmart.ca for cheap customs clearance rates.

Message 925 of 950
latest reply

UPS is a friggin JOKE. 189.51 for my order. I was charged 75.00 UPS fee. I almost had a heart attack!!!!!!!!! They are a total rip off. Worse than moneymart. DO NOT USE if shipping to Canada. USPS all the way!!

Message 926 of 950
latest reply

If I want to order a pair of Birkenstocks directly from Germany, would they be through UPS or USPS,(are they redirected somehow through them) or are they straight Canada Post.  I usually only order from Canada or US (but keep the cost to $20 or less to avoid any charges) but this is a larger purchase. I suppose I could just take a chance, still likely would be cheaper than here.  160+tax=180.80  Thanks anyone for you responses. 

Message 927 of 950
latest reply

@sandypurplecat wrote:

If I want to order a pair of Birkenstocks directly from Germany, would they be through UPS or USPS,(are they redirected somehow through them) or are they straight Canada Post.  I usually only order from Canada or US (but keep the cost to $20 or less to avoid any charges) but this is a larger purchase. I suppose I could just take a chance, still likely would be cheaper than here.  160+tax=180.80  Thanks anyone for you responses. 

The web site should have that information as not all companies use the same shipping method. I doubt that they would ship to the U.S. first.

Have you checked to see if they are less expensive in Germany?  If they are, it is still a good idea to check the shipping method and cost so that you have an idea of what the extra costs will be.

Message 928 of 950
latest reply

about a year and a half ago i bought a customly built computer from a site called CyberpowerPC which ended up being $930 + $99 shipping fee via UPS.. the computer was assembled and shipped from California USA to Ontario Canada.. it reached my house in about 5 days and i was told i must pay up a $198 brokerage fee.. had to tell them to hold onto it for two weeks till i got my next paycheck because i was broke.. but thats the first time that ever happened

and then i bought Gunnar's Eyewear online (Eyewear for Computers / Professional Gaming), for around $89.99 + i dont remember what the shipping cost was but i chose UPS as the shipping method.. it got to my house in about 3 days and i was charged an additional $45 fee (this time i wasnt sure if it was brokerage or taxes or what)

NOW i no longer use UPS as a shipping method.. i frequently purchase computer parts from a site called newegg (usually video cards, sound cards, lcd monitors, keyboards, valued at around $89 ~ $299) and have them ship through Purolator, it gets to my house either the same day or 1~2 days tops (unless its a weekend), but never any additional charges just a signature

so i highly suggest either Purolator or regular postal method* (if you live in an apartment building it wont be a good idea), avoid UPS at all costs especially if your ordering something outside of your own country because they will definately charge you extra

Message 929 of 950
latest reply

"i was told i must pay up a $198 brokerage fee."

You may have misunderstood the information.  The request was for taxes (GST/HST) and brokerage fee.

To calculate the exact amount of brokerage fee from UPS, please take a look at:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

As you can see, the brokerage fee on that shipment (a shade under Cdn$1000 value) would have been $67.10.  The rest of the amount requested was for taxes.

And yes $67 is a lot more than the $9.95 brokerage fee Canada Post would have charged you.  Taxes are the same.

Message 930 of 950
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

And yes $67 is a lot more than the $9.95 brokerage fee Canada Post would have charged you.  Taxes are the same.

This probably won't be a popular view, but I'd speculate that $67 is also more than the GSP's processing and clearance charges.

I suspect that it was these sorts of purchases that were foremost in the minds of those that developed the GSP.  Its "competition" is supposed to be commercial carriers, not air letter post.

Message 931 of 950
latest reply

I suspect that it was these sorts of purchases that were foremost in the minds of those that developed the GSP.

Too nuch credit, I think, marno. I think the things foremost in their minds were food and sex. And possibly grooming each other.

Message 932 of 950
latest reply

hey guys you know you don't have to use ups for broker. you can google any customs broker and just call ups and tell them that the other broker will do it. i use clearit.ca, its a completely online customs broker and very cheap and they always help me. they are a canadian customs broker though so i dont think they do it in USA. but coming into canada they are best 

Message 933 of 950
latest reply

i already gave a reply but i think i forgot the website, www.clearit.ca they are a canadian customs broker and all online. you just call ups and tell them to change broker and clearit does it soooo much cheaper
Message 934 of 950
latest reply

That this UPS scam has been going on so long is sickening.  This thread was created in 2006.  Sure, we could calculate the brokerage fees....(which most people don't even know they can do), but since they are a fixed amount based on the product purchased, they should be included in the shipping cost estimation at time of purchase.  

UPS must have a special deal with ebay to have these thefts continue for so long otherwise venders would offer more shipping choices to Canada.  

We need a proper boycott of UPS.  I've taken to writing to venders and telling them the problem but for every person who is aware of the fees ripoff, there are probably a hundred who don't know and won't find out until their package is delivered, so venders aren't really affected.  

Message 935 of 950
latest reply

I bought a watch travel case for $250, then when the UPS driver showed up on my doorstep I realized, too late, my oversight that the item had been shipped through UPS and not USPS - the end result being import charges of $94.36 and of this the UPS 'brokerage fee' (or as I commonly refer to it as the UPS ransom fee) amounted to $58.86

I would rather deal with a top hat & tails wearing, waxed mustache sporting villain who steals lollipops from babies and ties little old ladies to railroad tracks than deal with UPS again.

Someone else in this thread stated:

USPS = good

UPS = bad

Truer words have not been spoken

Message 936 of 950
latest reply

I just had the same deal.  I think it is UPS ripping people off.  I found on their web site the list of brokerage fees, what you cannot find out is the fee they charge for having to go to the trouble of charging a brokerage fee, then there is the fee they charge because the driver actually has to come to the door and have you pay him the fees.   Best answers, do not use UPS, use USPS or don't buy the item.  My total for shipping a $21 item was $45

Message 937 of 950
latest reply

Under no circumstances use UPS. I've found even FedEx is cheaper. 

Message 938 of 950
latest reply

NEVER use UPS - They are a rip-off !!  It doesn't matter whether the shipment is coming from US or anywhere else, as long as you use UPS, you will have to pay their ridiculous brokerage fee. USPS on the other hand is completely reasonable and hassle free. I have had many nasty experiences with UPS - so much so that I do not buy if the shipment option is only UPS.  

Message 939 of 950
latest reply

vilgomez
Community Member

I just learn the bad lesson today! I haven't paid the UPS fees yet and my package hasn't been delivered but I have to pay $135.87 for a purchase of US$339.13. Help what can I do?

Message 940 of 950
latest reply