50% UPS Brokerage fee????

kazoobers
Community Member
I bought an item that was $99.95 US. The Seller charged me $16.00 for UPS standard shipping to Canada.

The package arrived and here is a Brokerage C.O.D. due to UPS for $54.17. What a rip! The seller said nothing about additional fees due IN ADDITION to the $16.00 I paid him for the shipping. By looking under Help in eBay, I see there is nothing I can do about it.
The money's the same, whether you earn it or scam it.
Bobby Heenan
Message 1 of 950
latest reply
949 REPLIES 949

Much depends on the nature of your purchase.

If you are buying jewelry for example, there may be duty (depending on the country of manufacture) and/or excise (luxury) tax in addition to GST/HST/PST.  The rate depends on your province of residence.

On a Cdn$380 purchase (US$ 339), you should also expect to pay a brokerage fee of about $54, plus COD fees and disbursement fees.

For more information on UPS fees:  http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

"what can I do?"  Get your credit card ready to pay the driver at time of delivery.

Message 941 of 950
latest reply

Feeling ripped off 😞
Message 942 of 950
latest reply

FWIW, your seller probably thought he was doing you a favour. Domestically (within the US or within Canada) UPS delivers a fast, secure, relatively inexpensive, and tracked service.

Internationally? Not so much. In fact, not at all.

You would be paying duty and Canadian sales tax to any carrier, including Canada Post or PitneyBowes/Global Shipping program. The only difference is that UPS' customs brokerage fee starts at $25 while the GSP is about $5 and CPO is $9.95.

It is NOT your seller's responsibility to know Canadian import regulations. It is yours, since this is your (and my) country.

Message 943 of 950
latest reply

I recently got screwed by UPS too,the seller shipped UPS,and when it arrived I was away working,so 3 attempts ,then sent back to seller.  I phoned UPS and pleaded for them to hold it until I got home from working ,but they said no.  And they still want me to pay the brokerage fees even though,I don't physically have the item.    And the seller will be getting negative feedback,for screwing me over!!!

Message 944 of 950
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

A few years ago,the first item I bought on eBay was a DVD player.

I live in Canada, was on eBay.com (US), and thought I got a great deal...

Until I received the package and bill.

The duty, taxes, shipping, and exchange added up to more than I paid for the player.

I attributed it to my own ignorance and lack of due diligence; which my review substantiated.

It was a lesson well learned and never repeated.

You must always inform yourself and be assured before you buy.

If you have quires contact the seller. Quite often the seller will be experienced and knowledgeable in these matters.

Message 945 of 950
latest reply

sanbhul-0
Community Member
UPS is **bleep**, sorry but I bought two items, final price being 33usd, ups guy came to my door with a 25.05 dollar COD!!! Thats more than half of the cost of my package. AVOID USING UPSSS!!!
Message 946 of 950
latest reply

Not exactly COD.

About $6-10CDN of that was the duty and SALES TAXES on a $40USD item.

The rest was the UPS 'customs brokerage fee'.

It is not unusual for US sellers to use UPS domestically because they will carry large items, track faithfully and deliver everywhere.

However, all couriers are legally obliged to assess, collect, and remit duty and Sales Taxes to imports valued over $20CDN (~$16USD).

Your seller probably thought he was doing you a favour, since the international rates appear lower when he buys the shipping label than USPS rates do.

It might be helpful to him to send a polite message telling him about your experience with UPS, before leaving feedback. He really may have meant well.

Message 947 of 950
latest reply

Biggest rip offs ever. never use UPS for international delivery. their brokerage fees are a joke.

I bought a $50 item which is only a few grams in weight, and the UPS fee itself was $25 and then I get a notice from UPS saying that I owe them $47 in custom fees. 

After checking into it I see that only $11 of that is government charges and the rest are their 'brokerage fees'. What a scam! So basically they are charging me $55 ABOVE any custom duties to get me a little package.

Message 948 of 950
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2016.

I hope eBay soon gets around to locking threads after six months or so of non-use.

A lot of the information in zombie threads is out of date and inaccurate.

BTW $50 USD is $65 CDN.

Whether duty is charged or not, Canadian sales taxes will be.

And yes, $25 is the UPS flat rate for customs brokerage.

This is not your seller's fault, but it would be polite to let him know what happened through Contact Seller.

He may also find this useful:

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

The Shape and Size box is the pertinent one for him. It gives him First Class International Parcel Rates which includes Confirmation of Delivery.

Message 949 of 950
latest reply

Hey everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 950 of 950
latest reply