Am I screwed?????

I have been waiting for close to 3 weeks for a package with an item I bought here on ebay. It's coming from the U.S. and it was sent First Class Mail. I crossed the border into BC and went to the RICHMOND Depot. As Of the 18th of October it's still there. According to the person I talked to at Canada Post the package has been processed 4 times. But the tracking # I was given has not been updated. I contacted the seller an he informed me that once it's left the U.S. there nothing that can be done. I don't know why this item is still in RICHMOND. I was told by Canada Post it should be delivered this week but I have my doubts. Has anyone else had a similar problem or had a package held up at the RICHMOND BC depot.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Am I screwed?????

I had one bounce back an forth between Montreal and a smaller community in Quebec at least 8 times, more I think. It got there from here in Ontario only after I had them investigate. In all it took about 6 weeks. Fortunately the buyer was very patient. Try communicating with the buyer and explain what is happening.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

OP is the buyer!?

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

No you are not "screwed"!

"close to 3 weeks" What exactly does that mean? Delays happen, give it some time. You have at least 30 days from the last estimated delivery date to open a claim if necessary.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

I contacted the seller an he informed me that once it's left the U.S. there nothing that can be done.

He's wrong.

Since there is a tracking number the parcel is unlikely to get lost in the system.

It is not at all unusual for a parcel from the States to take 20 days to get to a Canadian address. Some are faster. A few are slower.

The 'tracking' number is just as likely to be a 'Delivery Confirmation' number. This means that instead of recording the number every time it stops, the parcel will be recorded as delivered, when it is delivered to you.

The reason for tracking is so that the seller will not be hit with fake claims of non-delivery. It does the buyer no good except to get his knickers in a twist when he tries to follow a package online when the status is not going to be updated.

The package is in Canada.

It will be delivered.

And remember that both Canada and the USA had national holidays in October.

So if 22 days (allowing for Colombus Day/Indigenous Peoples Day/ Thanksgiving) have passed, including weekends:

Go to your local Postal Outlet and ask if it is there. You'd be amazed how often it is because the delivery notice was not handled properly.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

hedge88
Community Member

I had a package from the US to Canada take 3 weeks to get to me.  It had tracking, but wasn't scanned at all for two weeks.  I still don't know what it was doing in that time!  It arrived in New York and disappeared.  Finally it said it entered Canada, on the same day it was delivered. 

Another parcel from the UK, not through ebay, went to the UK postal depot and then the airport, twice.  I have no idea why.  I think sometimes they do not scan properly and get sent back.

I'm sure your parcel will eventually be delivered.  The postal system is a bit like a washing machine, and you have to let it cycle. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

No, you are not.  It is in the system, and the system information system is FAR from perfect.  On the whole, it does a pretty reasonable job, but sometimes it just doesn't get updated.  Could be as simple as the person on the job missed scanning that parcel at a step along the way, etc.   I have had a parcel that never showed being dropped off- just label created, and I certainly did drop it off and it got delivered without a problem. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

I used to get CDS from a seller in Calif. The packages routinely used to take 3 weeks to arrive in my Thornhill, Ont. mailbox. Several times after getting leave feedback reminders I'd contact her and she told me it was most likely sitting in Canada Customs.

I've had the same response more or less from other sellers based in the U.S.

One DVD from a seller in Texas was send with a tracking number which I followed daily. It went from Texas to Chicago. After it left Chi-Town it disappeared for 10 days before it appeared in Canada Post tracking! The site mentions that if a parcel is held up in customs they have no way of knowing until they take possession for delivery.

As an aside I get CDS from U.K. and German sellers in my box in 10 working days.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

I appreciate the advice from everyone. I contacted Canada Post again and they opened a Service ticket. This time they told me it's stuck in Customs which is in the same building as Canada Post. They still aren't sure it keeps getting processed and not shipped out. Hopefully the service ticket will get things moving.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

The item arrived last week just fine. Still don't know why it took so long.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

Twenty days is not unusual for delivery from the USA. Thirty is about as long as a buyer should wait before starting a Dispute.

But both Thanksgiving and the American Columbus Day occured this month which would slow down delivery.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

cottotr0
Community Member

i have two packages from Canada stuck in the Richmond processing.

Two weeks one going on 3 . Complained to seller, post office and the mayor. No one will do anything except say its in transit, its not our fault, you must be patient during covid.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

Not only should we be patient because of COVID-19, but we also should be planning ahead and sending off holiday presents early this year:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-post-holiday-shopping-1.5771194
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2014

The problem with zombie threads is that the information and advice may be out of date and incorrect.

It is best to start a new thread rather than to latch on to one which may be misleading.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

If the estimated window for delivery eBay gave you has closed, you have 30 days to open a Dispute as Item Not Received in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping delivery) you will be refunded.

If the purchase shows up later, you should be able to return the refund using PP's Send Money service, although this has become more difficult since 2014.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

@reallynicestamps wrote:

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2014

The problem with zombie threads is that the information and advice may be out of date and incorrect.

It is best to start a new thread rather than to latch on to one which may be misleading.

Careful. If enough of these threads rise from the grave, we'll get this:

Zombie Thread Dance Off

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

mcrlmn
Community Member

Oh my! Zombie thread!

Some things never get old.

I never thought to phone the mayor of Richmond.

There's one for the think tank.

I never would've thought of that myself.

I'm waiting for a package from Virginia that cleared customs on October 13 and has been in Richmond ever since.

I'm not concerned.

It'll show up soon.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

Update:

2020.10.28.png

Delivery tomorrow.

"be patient during covid"

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Am I screwed?????

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 19 of 19
latest reply