Billing currency

mattozz
Community Member

hi

ive just bought an item from a seller,  i'm in canada, the seller is in canada, the currency says canadian dollars yet my credit card is charged australian dollars? this has happened twice now. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Billing currency

If I look at your feedback it says you are registered in Australia.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Billing currency

@mattozz wrote:

... bought an item from a seller,  i'm in canada, the seller is in canada, the currency says canadian dollars yet my credit card is charged australian dollars? ...

eBay thinks you are in registered in Australia.

What is your primary currency setting in paypal?

There have been other buyer reports in recent weeks of unexpected currency conversions when using a credit card. Either paypal (or perhaps eBay) decided to be "helpful" and do a currency conversion (rather than let your credit card handle things).

Just my guess, since I haven't had the issue (these days I use my paypal balances or bank account when buying rather than a credit card).

-..-

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Billing currency

Any seller can sell on any* eBay site, and those listings will be in the local currency, no matter where seller and buyer may be.

If you, in Canada,  search for an item which is available to Canada, but which was listed on eBay Australia, you will see the price in Search as Canadian dollars .

When you go to the listing itself, it will show in Australian dollars with the Canadian dollar price below it for comparison.

When you are billed it will be in the original listing currency.

Which Paypal will convert to whatever currency(s) your PP account is in.

I realize this is only slightly clearer than mud, but this is an international site.

*I usually list on dotCA and dotCOM, but I have listed on the UK and Australian sites to catch some listing specials when those were few and far between and listing fees were much higher than they are today.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Billing currency

These transactions were completed with a credit card outside paypal so my primary currency shouldnt matter.

i started my ebay account while i was in australia, now im living overseas and using ebay.ca, cant find anywhere to change settings so i don't get charged the expensive conversion rates. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Billing currency

@mattozz wrote:

These transactions were completed with a credit card outside paypal so my primary currency shouldnt matter.

i started my ebay account while i was in australia, now im living overseas and using ebay.ca, cant find anywhere to change settings so i don't get charged the expensive conversion rates. 

If I understand this right you paid with a credit card at checkout and not a PayPal account.  I'm just trying to clarify.  

Is it a Canadian credit card with a Canadian bank?  You say you are living overseas, but from where, Canada or Australia?  

It doesn't really matter.  You bought the items on eBay using the eBay checkout and no matter what site you use it will convert it because it thinks you are in Australia.  If you are living in Canada then change your eBay addresses to where you are now.  You can always change them back if you return to Australia.  

Find the My eBay at the top of the page, click it, 

then find the Account tab, 

then see Addresses and change them.  

australia.jpg

Message 6 of 6
latest reply