CANADIANS: Read before you purchase from the USA!!!

If you reside in Canada - and purchase an item from the USA - you need to educate yourself as to the fact that you WILL be paying applicable taxes and possibly duties on the item when it crosses the border into Canada.

Yes, if the item is shipped by postal service, your "brokerage handling fee" will be a nominal $5 or $8 - plus the applicable taxes for your province (and possibly duties, but seldom are they charged.)

And yes, MANY times the items shipped by postal service are NOT charged taxes or duties incoming - so sometimes you will escape paying the taxes that are due to the Canadian and provincial governments.

However, you should ALWAYS - and I stress ALWAYS! - calculate the cost of the taxes and possibly duties into the decision to make a purchase internationally.

Additionally, if your item is sent by the USA seller (or other international seller) through a courier service (for example, UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc.) then your applicable brokerage fee will be upwards of $25, on a sliding scale dependent upon the value of the incoming item.

Yes, these fees (brokerage, tax, duty) are ALL part of the cost of buying an item internationally and having it shipped to you in Canada.

It is NOT up to the seller to pay these for you - YOU are the importer of record - YOU are the one who will be billed for these charges - YOU are the one who will NOT get your parcel until you pay these charges.

So - before hitting the "BID NOW" button, do a bit of calculating and make an informed decision to see if it is really worth getting that imported widget!

Happy Bidding, Folks!
:-D
Photobucket

Message 1 of 628
latest reply
627 REPLIES 627

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next lives. - Kitte the Siamese

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our leg with a shopping cart, then apologizes for doing so, why do we say 'That's okay'?  It ISN'T okay.  So why don't we say 'That hurt, you stupid idiot?'

Message 2 of 628
latest reply

moogie1*
Community Member
Well done cc!!

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Too bad no one reads the ebay help files any more before they start using ebay
http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sellerguide/shipping/importing.html

Message 3 of 628
latest reply

mlj000
Community Member
And as many have stressed again and again, here and elsewhere, avoid buying items from the US that are shipped via UPS. Here is the link to see their customs clearance fees:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

GST/HST/PST is extra as is possible duty.
Message 4 of 628
latest reply

moogie1*
Community Member
It's not just UPS .. it applies to ANY courier

Message 5 of 628
latest reply

now - everybody petition the PINKS to TACK this thread at top of the discussion - so that MOST people will see it and read it...

:)
Photobucket

Message 6 of 628
latest reply

sir_edward_ross
Community Member
so that MOST people will see it and read it...

You give us humans too much credit, CC, unfortunately only a small percentage will actually see it and an even smaller percentage will actually read it, and (need I elaborate?), still far fewer will comprehend it and even fewer will actually apply the recommendations.

But, for the 1 or 2 people it will help, I do agree it would be nice to see it pinned.

La guerre, toujours la guerre. Pourquoi pas l'amour?

Message 7 of 628
latest reply

mymonkeymama
Community Member
It needed to be said, cc, AGAIN....and so eloquently!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Message 8 of 628
latest reply

petition your local pink today...

:)
Photobucket

Message 9 of 628
latest reply

Don't need to, CC. If it gets pinned, great. If it doesn't....we KNOW how to keep a thread on page 1, right? ;-)

People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next lives. - Kitte the Siamese

When we are in the supermarket and someone rams our leg with a shopping cart, then apologizes for doing so, why do we say 'That's okay'?  It ISN'T okay.  So why don't we say 'That hurt, you stupid idiot?'

Message 10 of 628
latest reply

Photobucket

Message 11 of 628
latest reply

amy111280
Community Member
Keeping this near the top.

It is so well stated. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 12 of 628
latest reply

I my seld found out the hardway , I bought a winch off a seller in usa , I thought i had a Great deal , a 6000lb winch for $23 usd , the shipping cost was like $46 due to the weight humm cool i said a winch got $79 usd like $85 - 90 canadian , being im from canada.
The seller Shipped it UPS.
I got Nailed Duty and tax Even on the shipping! :[
But what was Worse was the Brokarage Fee :<
I got nailed anouther $80 in brokarage Fee`s alone.

I could have bought the winch here for $30 less Brand With warenty and no wait. If id of Knowen of it.

So yah ill never buy again from sellers that use UPS if its Something i can get here cheaper.
Message 13 of 628
latest reply

and THAT is exactly why we're keeping this near the top until the pinks get a chance to tack it up there ... its very simple folks.. ALWAYS presume you will pay TAX and possibly DUTY on incoming items - PLUS applicable brokerage fee ($5 with post office, $25+++ with couriers)
Photobucket

Message 14 of 628
latest reply

dexmor
Community Member
This post addresses a few issues in the OP. The bottom line is this...

1. If item is being shipped VIA USPS:

If the item is valued at less than $20.00 Cdn, you will likely not be charged anything upon receipt. If the item is valued at more than $20.00 Cdn, you will likely be charged any applicable duty, 6% GST plus a $5.00 handling fee. Since CanadaPost is Federal (NOT provincial), they do not normally charge PST regardless of the province to which the item is being shipped, unless that province has a harmonized GST/PST sales tax, in which case they will.

2. If item is being shipped VIA Courier (any Courier):

Regardless of the value of the item, you will be charged not only any applicable duty, but you will also be charged BOTH GST and PST on the item (since couriers are provincially based), PLUS you will be charged a brokerage fee which as the OP stated, starts at $25.00 and goes UP from there.

In short, depending on the item, and the method used to ship it to you, a $50.00 purchase could almost double in price by the time you actually receive it. And that does not even take into account the amount that you most likely already paid for S&H. And if for any reason, you have to ship the item back, although technically you would be entitled to reimbursement of any duty and taxes paid, I would not hold my breath waiting for a refund.

Message 15 of 628
latest reply

mlj000
Community Member
Canada Post collects GST and PST in BC. When you cross the border returning from outside Canada, CCRA will also collect both taxes if applicable.

Commercial goods are subject to taxes even under $20 but Canada Post lets most of these goods through without charge. If you declare that you are bringing commercial goods into Canada you will pay tax on the total amount.
Message 16 of 628
latest reply

Canada Post charges GST and PST in Ontario to incoming parcels valued over $20 CDN
Photobucket

Message 17 of 628
latest reply

moogie1*
Community Member
Yessireee Canada Post does collect GST & PST in Ontario on incoming parcels valued at over $20CAD and also if they randomly inspect a parcel valued at under $20CAD and decide it was undervalued.

Message 18 of 628
latest reply

dexmor
Community Member

"Canada Post charges GST and PST in Ontario to incoming parcels valued over $20 CDN"

No, CP does not normally charge PST on importing goods to Ontario, especially if they are sent to a Company. The reason is simple. Both taxes are 'end user' taxes. But unlike GST, there is no way to claim back PST through the pass-through process. If you had to pay PST, then the customs docs were not completed correctly.

Message 19 of 628
latest reply

dexmor
Community Member
Followup to post # 18....

http://www.cbsc.org/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1085667966296&pagename=CBSC_ON%2Fdisplay〈=en&c=Regs

Message 20 of 628
latest reply