Can't really track global shipping program - Frustrated

I do not like the global shipping program.  It's ability to track items is seriously flawed.  I live in a rural area and do not get ANY deliveries other than post .  Here is my experience:

I bought an item in the US shipped through the ebay shipping program.  I get an ebay tracking number, and a USPS tracking number.  The ebay tracking number doesn't tell me much about when to expect it.  The USPS number says the item is being sent expedited, and will arrive in two days.  When I update this number, in two days, the status shows it is being delivered.  It was only delivered to the centre in Erlander, Ky.  It sits there for several days.  I have no idea who has it, or what is happening.  If I check the other link (USPS) the only information that it was delivered, which doesn't tell me much or where or how it is being delivered.

The global shipping number can't be tracked outside of ebay, and the domestic shipping number is only for USPS, and shows it as delivered.

I have to logon with different devices, as different devices show different details.  None shows what carrier the item is being transported with, or when the actual realistic delivery date is.  A week wide guess really doesn't cut it.  I don't know if it is being shipped by mail, courier, or by an old guy who is now looking for my house on foot.

Finally, if I go in with one device, I get a link to the fact that this is supposedly being shipped by CanPar.  However, when I click on the hyperlink, I get taken to Canpar and told that that item can not be found.  This has been the case for several days.  I also got an email notice that Pitney Bowes (Ebay shipping) has prepared a delivery label for my through Canada Post.  But no parcel has arrived at Canada Post with that delivery label on it.

I want the ability to know WHO is shipping my parcel, and what the tracking number is ON THEIR SYSTEM.  Why does Ebay obfuscate this information?  And why does the information depend on what device  you are using to retrieve it.  Right now if I go to the Ebay site on my Win8 computer running Chrome, I do NOT get anyway to access the Canpar tracking number (even if it is apparently not correct).  The domestic shipping information that I get on this computeris a week old, and still shows that the package was delivered by USPS!  However, if I use the Ebay APP on a IPad, I get the Canpar information.  If I use the ebay App on a smartphone, I cannot access ANY domestic shipping information.

I need to know who has it because if it is not being sent by CanPost, the courier will not be able to deliver it due to my rural location, and will also have no way to contact me as I do not have a listed phone number.  This is simply dumb.

EBAY!  WHO HAS MY PARCEL AND WHY WON"T YOU LET ME KNOW THIS AND TRACK IT PROPERLY!

Message 1 of 143
latest reply
142 REPLIES 142

Possibly a little harsh.  Remember that for many, 'Tracking' is a matter of faith, not reason, and the love of it passeth all understanding.

Message 41 of 143
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

Possibly a little harsh.  Remember that for many, 'Tracking' is a matter of faith, not reason, and the love of it passeth all understanding.

Hmm, I find no tracking to be more a matter of faith. The seller gets the buyers money, supposedly ships and marks the item as shipped. Or the equivalent when using a non-tracked shipping service in PayPal. Only when the item arrives does the buyer know it was really shipped.

A tracked shipping service with updates as the package progresses through it journey is more reassuring to the buyer and requires much less faith that the package was mailed and on the way to the buyer.

Message 42 of 143
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
Hmm, I find no tracking to be more a matter of faith. The seller gets the buyers money, supposedly ships and marks the item as shipped. Or the equivalent when using a non-tracked shipping service in PayPal. Only when the item arrives does the buyer know it was really shipped.

A tracked shipping service with updates as the package progresses through it journey is more reassuring to the buyer and requires much less faith that the package was mailed and on the way to the buyer.

I think the point is, why do buyers need tracking to confirm what they already know?  Either they have their item in their hot little hands or they don't.  Tracking doesn't change this state of affairs.

Message 43 of 143
latest reply

And it is in some (unethical) ways better for the buyer not to have tracking, since it protects the seller against phoney non-delivery claims.

I'm not too serious about that.

For sellers, tracking is often an unnecessary expense and insurance against loss or damage in transit would be more useful. Of course, that means the insurer must be willing to process those claims from the seller  transparent ly and rapidly.

USPS offers very cheap tracking and eBay believes all postal systems work exactly like USPS.

Message 44 of 143
latest reply

USPS offers very cheap tracking and eBay believes all postal systems work exactly like USPS.

True, dat!

In Britain we just post stuff off and it arrives. I think it is pretty sad, and a poor state of affairs when PO counter staff are instructed, as they are, to vigourously upsell Special Delivery (extra cost about £5) to people who just want to send a package. I often see this while standing in a PO queue, they ask what is the package worth and 'Do you want it to arrive tomorrow?' sort of implying that if they don't pay the extra it may not arrive at all.

It is amazing how often people fall for it.

They don't ask me, unlesss they are new, because I tend to be awkward.

Message 45 of 143
latest reply

Twenty Days ?? That is just stupid !

Message 46 of 143
latest reply

In any case. Tracking is irrelevant to the buyer. For the buyer it is only there for the warm fuzzies. If the item arrives and you are not home, the shipper (CanPar or Canada Post) will leave a notice about where and when it can be picked up. Or with some couriers, how to reshedule.

Tracking is absolutely relevant to the buyer. They do not leave notice about where and when it can be picked up. They just leave it on the door step in plain view, for anyone to take. Ironically called "safe drop". I've given up complaining. Seems the service is even worse now, where by I've been home and opened the door to find a parcel by surprise as they never even rang the doorbell or knocked. Anything that I am not certain will fit in the mailbox, I have sent to my work address. 

Message 47 of 143
latest reply

They just leave it on the door step in plain view, for anyone to take. Ironically called "safe drop".

I think this means the location is considered a 'safe drop' , not the action of leaving it.

You can put a notice on your door "Do not safe drop".

You can complain to the postmaster (not the manager of the postal outlet) about the practice.

You can ask your sellers to mark the parcel 'Do not safe drop".

You can add a larger post box to your porch that will accommodate most parcels.

Message 48 of 143
latest reply

This was very helpful

Message 49 of 143
latest reply

thompaar92
Community Member
Thank you very much! Very helpful information. I was currently experiencing the same situation with a global shipment to Canada, so thank you! I wasn't able to track my item for the last 3 days. All it said was that it was "delivered" in Erlanger KY. Called the number and they set me up with a Canada post tracking number.
Message 50 of 143
latest reply

carms58
Community Member
I am not buying another single item that uses the Global Shipping BS- done with the **bleep**py overpriced WAY slower service.
Message 51 of 143
latest reply

I try and avoid GSP where possible, mainly for the hassle. But I have noticed a few things.

If your seller uses FedEx/UPS for continental US shipping, it arrives faster at the GSP Hub. If they use USPS, that can add at least a  day or two. I recently tracked two purchases, made within one day of each other. The first one has an estimated arrival of April 15, second one has April 11 as expected delivery.

They both arrived on March 24 a the GSP Hub. FedEx was the faster despite my purchasing that item a whole day later (and keep in mind sometimes it may take a seller at least one business day to get shipping going)

I find the two points where everything drags heels is the wait time for someone to re-pack the item and fill customs paperwork out then send it across the border (I understand it's a qcue system, packages wait in turn to get dealt with) and as they lumber across Canada by Canada Post to my final destination because the border crossing PB uses is near Ontario.

Now if my seller used USPS and just mailed the item like a replacement part I ordered a few weeks ago, it would have arrived by now. The last item arrives in about 6 days.

With GSP Tracking is critical because you never know when some monkey pulled the wrong lever and your item was put in a compacter instead of a sorting machine. Because my packages are no longer delivered to my house (to save the sanity of my family from receiving 30 packages a month!) I rely on tracking to know when to go to the "warehouse" as I call it, also known as work. (So sometimes I go in on my day off just to grab a package. Like tomorrow, if Easter Monday had not just been, my 6 packages would be here already...but instead they are dropped off tomorrow.

In general tracing is more peace of mind and a gesture of confidence that your seller has followed through and mailed the item. Often I see new sellers who ship by Parcel and don't upload tracking info. I actually track my shipments on my phone with a cool tracking app that gives me updates 24/7 as packages move closer.

My customers often want to know where the part is (small shop) so with tracking I can tell them roughly where it is, which makes them happy. I don't give ETA's but can tell them..."oh your new part is in Ontario...or Edmonton" and that relieves the "wondering".

For others who don't sign up for Canada Post program to hold packages, it can be a hard time to deal with incoming packages especially when GSP doesn't require a signature, so anyone can take it. That's maybe the worst...signature confirmation is like an extra dollar or so....and it would probably help them cut down on wrong deliveries etc. (well to a degree, it's easier to drop a package then require signature)

What I do know is that if the items are not here by the estimated due dates, I open claim. Simple as that. Don't offer a service if you can't deliver what you promise. 

Message 52 of 143
latest reply

<< if the items are not here by the estimated due dates, I open claim. Simple as that. Don't offer a service if you can't

deliver what you promise. >>

Were you aware that sellers do not choose the delivery dates?  They have nothing to do with that whatsoever.

And that an "estimated due date" is an estimate and not some sort of "get it by Friday or it's free" guarantee? Smiley Happy

Message 53 of 143
latest reply

I refer to eBay when it's GSP items. When a seller is direct shipping to me I'll wait an extra week no issue but...when dealing with GSP however I have little patience.

eBay pushes GSP strong but hasn't answered many concerns of buyers.

I don't begrudge eBay from making a buck, but do it smart. Let other have  no issues with it and people will flock.

Oh well. My rant for the day. And yesterday.

Message 54 of 143
latest reply

Awesome! Thanks so much for this, I called and said I was looking for a Canada Post tracking number and they helped me right away (and the person was actually really nice).

Message 55 of 143
latest reply

TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery

Message 56 of 143
latest reply

This GSP IS FULL OF IT... Attention EBAY get your **bleep** together. Need more up to date and accurate information

Message 57 of 143
latest reply

@joerizla wrote:

This GSP IS FULL OF IT... Attention EBAY get your **bleep** together. Need more up to date and accurate information

My hypothesis is that Pitney Bowes has the "up to date and accurate information" but this information doesn't always get successfully communicated to eBay's servers.

Having said that, having this information doesn't change the fact that you either have or haven't received your item.

Message 58 of 143
latest reply

Merci beaucoup de l'Informations 1-866-235-9627 j'ai Appelé il MON Donné le numéro de Suivi poste canada.

Encore Merci très apprecier.

Jean-Marc

Message 59 of 143
latest reply

Mine says the exact same location
Message 60 of 143
latest reply