Can we Canadians not buy and pay for items in US dollars anymore?

ds2286
Community Member

I just bought an item and it automatically converted it to Canadian dollars from my US paypal dollars.  I have never had that happen before??  Before if I bought something it would let me pay in US dollars from my US paypal dollars.  Did something change??

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@ds2286 wrote:

I just bought an item and it automatically converted it to Canadian dollars from my US paypal dollars.  I have never had that happen before??  Before if I bought something it would let me pay in US dollars from my US paypal dollars.  Did something change??

Was the item listed by the seller in US$ or Canadian dollars?

The seller is paid in the currency they listed in -- and paypal (if needed) will convert to the listed currency when a buyer make a payment.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@ds2286 wrote:

I just bought an item and it automatically converted it to Canadian dollars from my US paypal dollars.  I have never had that happen before??  Before if I bought something it would let me pay in US dollars from my US paypal dollars.

When you say "US PayPal dollars," do you mean your PayPal balance, as opposed to paying with a credit card or bank account?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Yes my US paypal balance. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I think eBay Canada should not allow Canadian sellers to charge in US funds. Does not make sense to me. When they are selling out of Canada. If the seller wants a certain price, then they should advertise that price in Canadian dollars. EBay should make Canadian sellers clean up their false way of doing business with it's own Countrymen!
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@ds2286 wrote:

Yes my US paypal balance. 

Okay, so back to Dennis' question:  Were you paying for an item that was listed in Canadian dollars?

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

If this was for the pen, it was listed on .ca and in Canadian dollars so as others mentioned, the seller would automatically be paid in Canadian funds.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

The item/seller is from china.  I have purchased from this seller before and paid in US dollars from my US funds paypal account.  Now ebay has converted from my US funds and made me pay in Canadian dollars.  Hitting me with the exchange??

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

If it is listed in Canadian dollars and you have no Canadian dollars to pay, it will take your US dollars, convert to Can $ to pay the invoice and also charge you a conversion fee every time.

Only solution is to have both currencies in your paypal account.

Just another money grab since Ebay more or less want you to list in Can $ by default on .ca unless you are careful and change the listing to US $

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

If you click on their listing you will see that it is in Canadian dollars.  They have some listings in  Canadian and some in U.S. dollars.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

When they are selling out of Canada. If the seller wants a certain price, then they should advertise that price in Canadian dollars.

This is an ongoing arguement.

There is an easy solution.

Search ONLY on eBaydotCA.

All the listings will show Canadian dollars, wherever the item is actually located and no matter what currency it was originally listed in.

If you Search on eBaydotCOM not only will you see listings in USdollars  if the seller listed in USD or in both currencies if the seller listed in a different currency.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@ds2286 wrote:

The item/seller is from china.  I have purchased from this seller before and paid in US dollars from my US funds paypal account.  Now ebay has converted from my US funds and made me pay in Canadian dollars.  Hitting me with the exchange??

Your item/seller may be from China, but what currency did the seller use in this listing?  PJ says the seller they found lists in both currencies.

It doesn't make sense for PayPal (not eBay) to convert a payment from US dollars to Canadian dollars when the seller has listed the item in US dollars.  That would mean that the seller would be receiving Canadian dollars for a US dollar sale and you've mentioned nothing about the payment getting converted back into US dollars.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@gweedo902 wrote:

I think eBay Canada should not allow Canadian sellers to charge in US funds. Does not make sense to me. When they are selling out of Canada. If the seller wants a certain price, then they should advertise that price in Canadian dollars. EBay should make Canadian sellers clean up their false way of doing business with it's own Countrymen!

eBay recognizes that the US market is the largest market serving most Canadian sellers, as well as the fact that the US dollar is the closest thing we have to a "universal" currency.  Do you know how much a Singapore dollar is worth right now?  Probably not.  Most non-Canadian buyers wouldn't know the value of a Canadian dollar compared to their home currency, but would have an idea of the value of a US dollar.

Back when cash payments on eBay were still kosher, my wife and I were paid in Canadian cash at par for a US dollar sale by a German buyer.  (We were impressed that they were able to procure it, mind you.)  The buyer had no idea that the Canadian dollar was worth about three-quarters of the US dollar at the time.

Most Canadian sellers have a small fraction of their sales going to their "own countrymen".  I'm not sure what's so "false" about this way of conducting sales.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@ds2286 wrote:

Your item/seller may be from China, but what currency did the seller use in this listing?  PJ says the seller they found lists in both currencies.

It doesn't make sense for PayPal (not eBay) to convert a payment from US dollars to Canadian dollars when the seller has listed the item in US dollars.  That would mean that the seller would be receiving Canadian dollars for a US dollar sale and you've mentioned nothing about the payment getting converted back into US dollars.

The item was listed in Canadian dollars. Some of their listings are done on .ca and done in Cdn$ and other listings are on .com in U.S. dollars. This particular listing was in the first group.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply