Changing your feedback for a refund/bonus items?

Just wondering how many people will change their feedback in exchange for a refund and/or extra items.  I believe in leaving honest feedback, and think people should know if a product is poor quality or doesn't work.  Received such an item, left a neutral giving good marks for communication and effort (the seller messaged me back & forth a few times to discuss the problem and was polite and responsive) but in the end, it's just not a great product and doesn't work well.  They're offering to send a refund and other items (which I don't really need) in exchange for changing neutral to positive.  It was only a few dollars, so it's not the end of the world to not get a refund.  They also have lots of feedback so I wonder how much harm one neutral could do.  

I'm just curious, how many of you would change your feedback in such a situation (and is this legal for the seller to ask anyway, under eBay rules?).

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"how many of you would change your feedback in such a situation"

I would not.

"and is this legal for the seller to ask anyway, under eBay rules?"

I do not think so (feedback extortion) The official policy: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

"They also have lots of feedback so I wonder how much harm one neutral could do.  "

The British seller only has 5 neutral feedback in the last twelve month.  One should not make any difference.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

"how many of you would change your feedback in such a situation"

I would not.

I do not think so (feedback extortion) The official policy: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

"They also have lots of feedback so I wonder how much harm one neutral could do.  "

The British seller only has 5 neutral feedback in the last twelve month.  One should not make any difference.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Feedback has no effect on a seller's account in terms of eBay. The public relations of course is something different.

It's your honest opinion, calm and factual.

This seller may be fine, but usually these requests come from sellers desperate to save a sinking ship due to poor service and worse products. 

BTW-- if you ever run into a really bad seller, the way to 'discipline' him is through the Resolution Centre. Feedback and DSRs are just opinions, complaining to your friends. The Resolution Centre is complaining to the police.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Ebay has recently revealed Product Reviews that would be suitable for your opinion of the item in question. 

I am not a fan of Product Reviews in general but this might be a better avenue for your opinion of the item since you feel the seller maintained a professional attitude with you in dealing with your problem. 

Maintaining good feedback is more important to some sellers than it is others.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Aha.  I was pretty sure I'd read something about that but couldn't find it. 

I declined the bribe; they were still polite; end of story.

Thanks for that link.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply