China to Canada getting longer

Before ebay from to China to Canada used to take around 3-4 weeks. Lately from China stuff has been taking upwards of 2 months now.

-Is Canada post still catching up from the Chrismas rush?

-Did the mules on land or slow boats on water lose their GPS system and get lost?

It seems to me as of Christmas China delivery times have doubled and not reverted to normal yet.

Am I the only one waiting 2 months for China items or has anyone else had this problem start withing the last 3-4 months? I'm still waiting for something that was shipped on Jan.5 that said it should be here Jan.21 - Feb.5.

Bottom line of the question: DO CHINA DELIVERIES SEEM TO BE TAKING 2X AS LONG THAN 6 MONTHS AGO TO ARRIVE IN CANADA.

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

@redribbonred wrote:

Hello everyone, I get the sense that maybe the situation has been improving - are Canadian people having alot less problems with slow delivery from China/Asia?

I'd say that no news is good news.

Message 61 of 83
latest reply

I'm finding that compared to a while ago not only is it taking much longer to Canada from China.....but products from U.K. (which used to be fast) are taking much longer than the estimated arrival date. 

Message 62 of 83
latest reply

One of the beadsellers/crafters who posts here was saying she thought many packages were being inspected for fentanyl smuggling.

Which would be a Good Thing on the whole.

Message 63 of 83
latest reply

Ok, so not much of a clear answer for now. Please feel free to leave your sense of the situation or experiences with delivery times, anyone who comes by 🙂

Personally I haven't had any major problems for a couple months - on the other hand half of my Canadian customers either pay for registered mail for faster delivery, or must be very understanding of the slow delivery rates.

Message 64 of 83
latest reply

@redribbonred wrote:

Please feel free to leave your sense of the situation or experiences with delivery times, anyone who comes by 🙂

Personally I haven't had any major problems for a couple months - on the other hand half of my Canadian customers either pay for registered mail for faster delivery, or must be very understanding of the slow delivery rates.

I don't think registered mail is actually faster.  Expedited is not bad and cheap too and there is always Expresspost but that costs alot more, but that's Canada.  

If you read the thread from the beginning there are lots of comments about delivery times from users with experience.  Items from China can often take 2 months or more to arrive.  People who actually buy from there have been saying that for years and years and it is not about to change because the speed of the boats the items are shipped on is not about to dramatically increase.  

Delivery times anywhere in the world depend alot on what service is used and what is going on in the world.  After the terrorist attacks in France  international mail service really ground to a halt for a time but seems to be back to normal now.  It all depends on so many factors. There is no one single neat pat answer.

Message 65 of 83
latest reply

For this month at least, I'm having a resurgence of some complaints about slow delivery to Canada. Most packages (all airmail) are taking over a month, and even registered airmail from nearly 7 weeks ago hasn't been delivered yet, according to the system.

It's really sad.

This is since I saw a vanishing of complaints around July...

Message 66 of 83
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@synaptic2112 wrote:

. I might be hitting at the wrong person, the seller. What will happen if Ebay keeps just handing

out refunds without fixing the problem or at least helping to find out the problem, is that these sellers may not sell

to Canadian buyers anymore.

All we want is the problem to be addressed.... and fixed. Hopefully in a timely fashion.

synaptic:  

When you trash these sellers you are not helping the problem.  You are making it worse for everyone.

In fact, keep doing that and these sellers will disappear from eBay.   Cut them some slack!

Everything these sellers do indicates that they are working much harder than the rest of are just to stay afloat.

They are effusively polite and refund immediately at the slightest hint of a problem.  

They have nothing to gain by shipping slowly or not shipping at all and a lot to lose.

The sellers I've encountered are doing everything right,.  eBay can't fix the problem any more than the sellers can.

However, there is in fact something buyers can do to address the problem.  

@sylviebee wrote:

@synaptic2112 wrote:

. I might be hitting at the wrong person, the seller. What will happen if Ebay keeps just handing

out refunds without fixing the problem or at least helping to find out the problem, is that these sellers may not sell

to Canadian buyers anymore.

All we want is the problem to be addressed.... and fixed. Hopefully in a timely fashion.

synaptic:  

When you trash these sellers you are not helping the problem.  You are making it worse for everyone.

In fact, keep doing that and these sellers will disappear from eBay.   Cut them some slack!

Everything these sellers do indicates that they are working much harder than the rest of are just to stay afloat.

They are effusively polite and refund immediately at the slightest hint of a problem.  

They have nothing to gain by shipping slowly or not shipping at all and a lot to lose.

The sellers I've encountered are doing everything right,.  eBay can't fix the problem any more than the sellers can.

However, there is in fact something buyers can do to address the problem.  

When ordering items from China, order 3 months in advance,.

Ebay feedback option expiry in 60 days.
Item number NOT FOUND after 60 days.
Item NOT received on delivery date after 60 days.
Resolution center : refund request option NOT available !

After 90 days or 3 months ? Bleep

Message 67 of 83
latest reply

layton405 wrote: 

Ebay feedback option expiry in 60 days.
Item number NOT FOUND after 60 days.
Item NOT received on delivery date after 60 days.
Resolution center : refund request option NOT available !

After 90 days or 3 months ? Bleep

I answered you here:

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Slow-or-lost-shipping-from-China-to-Canada/m-p/359951#M32...

For an ITEM NOT RECEIVED, you have plenty of options:

You have 30 days AFTER that LAST date of delivery has passed for a claim on eBay.  Use the RESOLUTION CENTER  link at the bottom of the page. 

If you have waited too long and you let it pass, go to PAYPAL where you have 180 days from when you PAID.  Use the Resolution Center link there under TOOLS. 

Or call your credit card company for a chargeback.  The timeframe depends on the card.

Message 68 of 83
latest reply

Thank you for your post. I personally would prefer paying a few dollars extra to sellers to ensure I get my items. Im glad you are offering it to your Canadian customers

Message 69 of 83
latest reply

To note: the registered mail hasn't really helped, at least not this year - even with it, some packages have taken over 3 months. (the log of the tracking number hasn't been updated even once on the Canadian side for nearly 1 year - they just deliver it when they can, and there's no updates on the tracking system).
I don't recommend registered anymore but offer as an option. We will try +signature mail, see if it helps. It costs roughly $1 extra.

In summary I think its Fentanyl scanning+overabundance of packages from Asia/Pacific that are main reasons for slow processing and delivery to Canada. Fentanyl since December 2016 most likely, as thats when packages really started slowing down even more.

But letting customers know in advance of mailing items, by sending them a message if they're from Canada, has been the best way to improve business and understanding with customers 🙂

Message 70 of 83
latest reply

@psychoticcomics wrote:

I have read some of the responses and as something someone with Canada Post I can say this is later delivery is partially the result of China not paying Canada Post for many of the extra services ( ie: registered items). This did cause a lot of issues as to how things from China where handled. And, also yes Canada Post has fallen behind in the amount of packages waiting for delivery.

I hadn't heard this side of the story before. That's interesting and good to know. Thanks for the info!

Message 71 of 83
latest reply

Same here. I've ordered over 50 things from China and, because that's the only place I can afford most of these items, I have to buy it from China.

But items are arriving nearly 2 months late after having already waited 2 months. This is just ridiculous.

They refund sometimes but are hesistant and would most likely offer you a replacement, which I have taken on some occassions but even the replacements never arrive.

I've lost some money so now every time my item does not arrive I just ask for a refund. 

This is very saddening. 90% of my items arriving extremely late.

Message 72 of 83
latest reply

Yesterday I called Canada Post, and complained about  items being shipped from Asia taking many, many weeks to arrive. I was informed that the majority of shipments come through the Vancouver depot, and that they're experiencing a '35 day backlog' at that location. That's a 5 week backlog! That's a very good reason why your eBay packages from Asia are taking so long to arrive to you.

Message 73 of 83
latest reply

Google 'fentanyl'.

Nearly 1000 dead in BC last year.

120 suspected just in March 2017

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/public-safety-and-emergency-services/death-investigation/statistica...

Message 74 of 83
latest reply

Sorry China. I won't be doing any more business with you. Too many "lost" packages, delayed delivery or no delivery at all. Tired of it.

Message 75 of 83
latest reply

In the past week a few Canadian customs informed me they received items (from Taiwan) - they all took just under 3 months for delivery.

I'm sure many Chinese/Asian sellers will continue to ban sales to Canada. 99% don't have the English/communication skills we have so for them that's a far easier option. I calculated Canada is about 3% of our sales. They are about 20% of my workload as customer service. 😕

Message 76 of 83
latest reply

Like you, I'm done buying any items from China. The last four eBay orders took more than 10 (up to 14!) weeks each to arrive. It's not worth the ridiculously long wait. 

Message 77 of 83
latest reply

Check out CTV News Vancouver story June 5, 2017
"Delivery delays: Online customers waiting months for orders from China"

It's Canada Post/CBSA is causing months delay.

some exerpts:

" E-commerce from China is putting a huge burden on Canada Post and that means you could be waiting months for your online purchases to be delivered.

The McLaughlin on Your Side team has received several emails from viewers frustrated by the long wait times for items ordered online from China. Our investigation has revealed it’s because of an explosion in e-commerce that has caught Canada Post and the Canada Border Services Agency off guard.

The problem is spreading from coast to coast with Vancouver being the point of entry for all shipments from China and it’s clogging up the system."

-----------------------------

Excuse #2:

“The problem with these is they’re using an envelope that was a product developed years ago for minor items,” said Canada Post Communications Manager, Jon Hamilton.

CTV Vancouver exposed how some consumers are waiting up to six months for online shipments from China to be delivered to their home but in response Canada Post makes no apologies.

The small packages can’t be sorted on automated machinery, they often have errors in the addresses, and they need to be hand sorted."

Message 78 of 83
latest reply

You forgot this excerpt:

CUPW spokesperson Anju Parmar says postal workers are working seven days a week and that the CBSA is largely responsible for the backlog.

The trailers cannot be sorted until they are cleared by CBSA and concerns over fentanyl coming in small packages could be slowing things down. Last year, the CBSA seized 10,348 items at the Vancouver International Mail Centre. Eighty per cent were narcotics.

And once cleared, many Chinese packages need to be hand-sorted because of size and problems with barcodes.

Message 79 of 83
latest reply

WOW - that is my experience exactly as of late. Same experiences, observations and outcomes. This is especially true in relation to electronic parts (my hobby is tube amps) and I would pay the extra to get them here in a decent time (Digikey - no more than two days) and the extra cost for the parts IF THEY WERE AVAILABLE. They are not for the better part leaving China as my choice.

Message 80 of 83
latest reply