China to Canada not arriving?

So, for a few years now I have been ordering cheap items from china, that otherwise are overpriced or not available locally (take for example, bright LED flashlights, laser lights, audio/video cables and adapters etc etc..)  The shipping is usually 20-30 days, however since last September most of the items I have tried to order simply never showed up. And it's not just me, on another popular Canadian automotive forum many members have complained of the same issues in the past 6 months.   I ordered 4 things in October( all on different days from different users), requested a refund at day 45, items never arrived. Ordered 2 things in december and only one arrived, and recently ordered a dozen replacement automotive light bulbs on the 12th of January and so far, nothing has arrived.

I know these are cheap items with standard int'l shipping, but all of the ebay users were long time & well established Chinese sellers, with plenty of good feedback. Most were able to provide me with a "proof of shipment" via hong kong post or whatever local postal service they were using.  Anybody have any similar issues? Is this a canada customs thing or are they falling off the boat on the way over?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

II have the same issue, this is the 3rd item that I ordered 

after 60 days, sellers confirm it was sent, something resent it

never got it

never had any problem being refunded, but I find it also strange

either it is a custom issue, or sellers are betting  that because these are cheap items, not sending might not generate a request for refund....

any news on your searches?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

There are many Chinese sellers who seem to have stopped sending anything.

I suppose with cheap items, they hope their buyers will forget the order.

When they get a complaint, they promise a replacement.

Which never arrives, because it was never shipped.

There's good money is selling stuff that does not exist.

Never accept an offer of a replacement.

Mark Day 30 after purchase on your calendar. If the item does not arrive, start an Item Not Recieved Dispute.

Good sellers sometimes go bad.

And btw, 98% is not a good seller.

Most Chinese sellers are fine, but there are so many of them that there are also a high number (if not percentage ) of baddies.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I've been having the same problem. Ordered 2 separate items from separate vendors, both with a 99.5% rating and plenty of good feedback. The items never arrived despite both items being registered. The tracking numbers were last recorded leaving Shangai, China and never made it to Canada.  I received a refund and both vendors were really nice about it but still, this is very strange. It never happened to me before and than in the last 2 months this happens twice. 

I guess I'm not alone.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Shadow--  This is one case where the items probably were sent. Did the sellers actually use 'registered'? Unfortunately this has become a code word for 'steal me'.

The more modern services are express* and priority, which are electronically trackable by Paypal. Registered is not.

Registered is often more expensive, slower and less secure than the more recently invented services.

* The services have different names from different postal services.

What'd y'all order a dead guy for?-- Jayne Cobb

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Out of 80 items I've ordered in the last 4 months 60 of them have NOT arrived! That means I have a 75% chance my item will NOT arrive. This has held up MANY projects I've been working on etc. I CAN'T afford to order from China anymore.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

conservative4s wrote:
Out of 80 items I've ordered in the last 4 months 60 of them have NOT arrived! That means I have a 75% chance my item will NOT arrive. This has held up MANY projects I've been working on etc. I CAN'T afford to order from China anymore.

If you are going to dig up old threads why not find ones that are more recent.  Although it just goes to show that some things never change.  

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Why-don-t-items-from-China-to-Canada-arrive-And-why-does-e...

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Long-shipping-and-deadlines/m-p/361137#U361137

If you just want someone to blame, then blame China for manufacturing deadly drugs and making these lethal substances available for purchase online, 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/carfentanil-exports-china-ap-investigation-1.3795415

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I have the same problem, however, sometimes I get the packages much much later on after getting a full refund.  I cannot imagine this will be sustainable for Chinese sellers and I'm worried that they will simply stop serving Canada.  By the way, the CBC is not real news.  

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Same problem here.. I lost many orders from China and some trickled in after three months.  The orders that did not arrive, I lost $$$ on them, because the delay was too long and I couldn't take any action... very frustration.

Never before have I experienced this (in over 18 years of both buying and selling on ebay).

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

That this is a longstanding problem is obvious from the dates of the earlier posts from 2014.

However-- a late item that is past the eBay deadline (estimated delivery +30 days) for a Claim, can still be refunded through Paypal, which allows 180 days from payment for Claims.

If and when the purchase finally arrives, the buyer can return the refund using Paypal's Send Money service. Because these companies are large and busy, it would be helpful to include the original eBay and Paypal transaction numbers when the repayment is sent.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

hey good info.. I will claim through Paypal.  Thank you!

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I have just recently found this to be a huge problem.  I spend 6 months in the US and 6 months in Canada.  I never have any problems with items ordered from China being sent to the US but 80% of what I order when in Canada just never arrives and it has gotten progressively worse in the past year.

However....I have seen tracking information that shows that the items are being sent to Canada but it just stops there.  I actually suspect something is happening at Customs - are they rejecting these shipments, dumping them, stealing them??? I have one Vendor that I have dealt with for many years in China that has told me that she will no longer ship to Canada because her orders are disappearing.  I don't think it is always scammers from China.......What's up Canada?

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

happening at Customs - are they rejecting these shipments, dumping them, stealing them??

None of the above.

CBSA is being extremely vigilant about fentanyl smuggling and is carefully checking parcels coming in from China.

Deaths from the drug were over 900 here in BC last year.

Eventually the parcels are returned to the mailstream.

BUT

China has been working the letter rather than the spirit of the Universal Postal Union regulations to claim 'developing nation' status on their payments to other postal systems, when for more than a decade they should have been paying higher rates.

As a result, US, Canadian and European postal systems are putting no priority on delivery of cheap /surface/ untracked parcels from China.

It will arrive.

Eventually.

In the meantime the Canadian buyer has two choices.

• Make a Paypal claim for non-delivery and repay the refund when the parcel does arrive. (It doesn't always, because some sellers are crooks.)
  • Ask before buying for Air Mail and tracked delivery.

Many would also say 'don't buy from China' but that is a disservice to the majority of sellers who provide exactly what they advertise.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I'm having the exact same issue as original poster. 

When an item doesn't arrive after the latest estimated date I open a refund request and leave a note telling seller that if item finally does arrive at a later date and is satisfactory I will reimburse them the refund. I could be more lenient and wait a little longer after latest estimated delivery for items to arrive but I dont feel that is fair being the customer for these reasons:

1) Item should have arrived within sellers estimated delivery date

2) Seller should adjust his estimated dates to something more accurate

3) Me the customer has waited over a month with hopes to receive package within estimated date

4) The possibility the seller hasn't even shipped the item with intent to scam

5) Maybe the package was lost or stolen?

Most items do eventually arrive much later than the estimated delivery date. So when they do arrive I backtrack and send them back the original payment through paypal. 

But due to the increase of items not arriving i'm starting to think maybe they aren't even being shipped and the seller is trying to scam me? 

It's a pain because even though they are cheap small items I look forward to getting them in the mail.

A similar issue I have had in the past is buying an item (that is priced much cheaper than what its worth) only to have the seller not respond and eventually be kicked off ebay for fraud. 

I think the latest I received a package from China was over 3 months! 

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

I do not think that the seller can "adjust" the latest estimated delivery date. 36 (working days) from shipping date seems to be the longest time eBay will allow.

What I hate the most is the fact that eBay allows 36 working days to ship an item but only 60 calendar days to leave feedback. So this gives around 5-7 days to leave feedback after the latest estimated delivery date.  Also, I have 30 days after that date to file a claim for item not received. I should have the same amount of time to leave a feedback imo.  However, after 60 days, your item "disappear" from the default buying history view so does your ability to leave feedback so does the estimated delivery dates.  If you deleted your email from eBay when the item was shipped, you have no way of knowing until when you can file a claim for item not received sine you do not have access to the latest delivery date anymore.

True that these problems occur only with Chinese sellers since shipping takes so long.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2014

The problem with ancient threads is that the information in them maybe outdated and now incorrect.

But due to the increase of items not arriving i'm starting to think maybe they aren't even being shipped and the seller is trying to scam me? 

Yes.

But not a new scam.

One poster in an old thread that rose from the dead today, mentioned not receiving over 60 items in three months.

Open the Unpaid Item Disputes, get the refund.

That will slow down, if not stop the scammers.

And, as you say, if the order does eventually appear, the honest seller can be reimbursed by using Paypal's Send Money service.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

In these "items not received" cases I purposely don't leave any feedback for the reason you stated. No point leaving feedback you cant change then the item arrives at a later date making the feedback inaccurate (because it cant be edited after so long)

Another thing to mention in this above situation is that the seller will usually ask me to leave positive feedback after they refund me through an item not received claim. It's like they think I owe them good feedback after making me wait over a month and not getting what I ordered. I'd imagine they prefer me leaving no feedback rather than negative feedback.  

As for 36 days being the longest estimated delivery time frame I did not know that. 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Feedback has no effect on a seller's account.

It does of course serve a public relations function with future customers, but so few members leave it now that it is close to irrelevant even for that.

Less than 40% of transactions have feedback, and I suspect most of that is from sellers.

I'd imagine they prefer me leaving no feedback rather than negative feedback.  

No feedback and neutral feedback don't even affect the percentages.

So, yes.

It's worth looking not just at percentages but also at the actual comments.

A very busy seller can have 100% positive fb, and hundreds of negs.

Which is not a bad thing.

Some people just can't be satisfied, for instance.

If a seller has 100 FB and 2 negs, he is not a very good seller.

If a seller has 100,000 FB and 200 negs, there are unlikely to be problems because: ratios, but we should read those negs for patterns of slow/non-delivery , poor communication, or garbage products.

the longest estimated delivery time frame I did not know that. 

I've heard of longer.

But eBay gives the buyer a 'last estimated date' for arrival, after which the buyer has 30 days to open a Dispute.

With PP, the buyer has 180 days for Dispute after Payment.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Never had a problem with items from China not arriving .But have had a very long wait for some.Most  items sent with Free Shipping are very slow to arrive.Some as long as 6 months .And that one came from Singapore. Mostly this is due to Canada customs and Canada post.This type of economy shipping takes the lowest priority.I have suspicions that someone isn't getting their cut but that's just my opinion.  Any thing that I have purchased with standard shipping or better has arrived within a week or two.It would be advisable for sellers to offer these options .Standard International shipping is only usually a few bucks more.So now I only buy from sellers that offer Standard International or better. 

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

I have suspicions that someone isn't getting their cut but that's just my opinion. 

Yes and no.

YES--China Post has been taking advantage of the 'developing countries' part of the Universal Postal Union treaty of 1874 to underpay the actual cost of delivery of their parcels in First World countries.

As a result, Canada Post and most other Western postal systems are putting a very low priority on handling these shipments, especially if they are not sent with Confirmation of Delivery or Express services.

NO-- CBSA is monitoring shipments from China for fentanyl, which has killed over a thousand Canadians in the past 12 months. While China has now banned the drug, and is cooperating with Canada on this, it will be some time before the traffic is stopped.

If you want it fast, and by fast I mean within a month, you should ask the seller BEFORE BUYING, if you can pay for the option of tracked, express shipping.

You can't get it both fast and cheap.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply