Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

I am not in favor at all of that Global Shipping Program.  It add to the cost of the items and the buyers should have the option of deciding whether he wants it or not. 

Most of the time,, in fact , there is no Imported fees or charges at all so why putting that.

Do you plan to correct that....or should I refrain my purchasing through eBay?

Message 181 of 6,171
latest reply

Purchased over 600 hundred items with shipping from USA to Canada via USPS by First-Class Mail, delivery give or take 14 days with no hassles and no damages Completely satisfied with USPS and they beat Canada Post hands down in price & service. Live in Alberta and it cost more to send the same item from here to B.C. than it costs to have the item shipped from Florida to Alberta ......... go figure!

Now eBay doesn't even show in the listings sellers that ship to Canada, bidder must contact sellers to see if they will ship to Canada. What a hassle that is. Had just a few sellers reply they will ship via GPS .... my reply is "No thank you but thanks for your time"

From what I gather, when seller signs on with eBay's GPS from that point on they can not list any other method of shipping. eBay will not allow them to do so but could be wrong about that.

Does eBay even want Canadain bidders any more?
Message 182 of 6,171
latest reply

Now eBay doesn't even show in the listings sellers that ship to Canada, bidder must contact sellers to see if they will ship to Canada. What a hassle that is. Had just a few sellers reply they will ship via GSP .... my reply is "No thank you but thanks for your time"

They will show as shipping to Canada if the seller has  put in international shipping rates, otherwise they won't. Put it down to idle or ignorant sellers. Quite sensible to avaoid the GSP ones unless the package is very heavy.

From what I gather, when seller signs on with eBay's GSP from that point on they can not list any other method of shipping. eBay will not allow them to do so but could be wrong about that.

The seller can opt out for any individual listing or for all, but since a lot of them don't even know they are signed up, they are not likely to opt out. Once listed as a GSP item, that item is stuck with the GSP costs. Unless they revise it before any bids are made or a BIN is done. Once bid or bought it is too late.

BTW, it is GSP, GPS is your sat-nav. Global Positioning System.

Message 183 of 6,171
latest reply

No, you don't ship with Pitney Bowes for a sale made through the GSP, but Pitney Bowes does arrange the shipping for you, as per the terms and conditions you agreed to when you committed to making payment for the item.

http://pages.ebay.ca/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

Having said that, it does appear that some sort of glitch or sloppiness is at work here.

How much are you getting paid to side with enay and paypay?

Message 184 of 6,171
latest reply

@mitchmitchell007 wrote:

Most of the time,, in fact , there is no Imported fees or charges at all so why putting that.

Slight clarification to that point:  Much of the time, an item from the U.S. may be subject to taxes (and possibly duty) and fees, but Canada Border Services and Canada Post don't charge the importer for them.

Message 185 of 6,171
latest reply

@angus_coin_shop wrote:

How much are you getting paid to side with enay and paypay?

Probably not nearly as much as you got in kickbacks from a certain retailer of angling supplies.  😉

Message 186 of 6,171
latest reply

i think that's the whole problem.. the sellers just don't realize someone else is making a good buck off their sales.
how do we get them all educated on the GSP?messaing sellers one by one is of small benefit.. we need to let everybody know.
but how?

Message 187 of 6,171
latest reply

There is nothing you can do about it.  Suck it Up Buttercup!

EBay is sneaking the GSP into listings without the sellers' knowledge.

I know because I was signed up for the GSP on one of my accounts and I sure didn't do that.

In other cases sellers are intentionally signing on but have no idea what it looks like for buyers because they never see it.

They have their country set to the US and so everything looks the same to them.

You can email sellers about it.

That will probably get your item shipped without the GSP.......

but as far as making a difference to the system .............  :  It's a total waste of time.

Not even a drop in the bucket.

There is nothing you can do about it.

It will get worse.  In time there might be a change but that's well into the future if ever.

New sellers keep getting nailed.

Experienced sellers who don't want it have already removed it.

I'm guessing that sellers who do want it are usually the Big Box Store types.    Maybe they like it and for sure eBay likes them.

Message 188 of 6,171
latest reply

@tikazyg wrote:
i think that's the whole problem.. the sellers just don't realize someone else is making a good buck off their sales.
how do we get them all educated on the GSP?messaing sellers one by one is of small benefit.. we need to let everybody know.
but how?

The .com site has discussion boards, too.  🙂  I would, however, counsel against using the International Trading board as it's already filled with GSP posts from upset buyers and the regulars there already advise sellers posting there that it's usually a no-go proposition for the types of items that they're selling.

Message 189 of 6,171
latest reply

"but Canada Border Services and Canada Post don't charge the importer for them."

Small correction.. Canada Border Services doesn't instruct Canada Post to charge the importer for them.  Canada Post does not ever make that decision themselves. CBS applies the invoice to the package for them to collect.  Picky technicality but figured I'd toss it in 🙂

Okay :

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?

Nothing.  2 items purchased with this program, one arrived broken (according to seller was repackaged without half of its packaging etc.), the other one was repackaged as well, from a box to a plastic envelope (again according to seller) but was not broken.

• Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?

Remove the GSP program.  Let sellers, buyers and the Canada Border Services look after applicable charges and taxes.

• What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?

I don't like paying for shipping twice, and I won't purchase anything that gives me an 'estimate' and tells me 'final values will be calculated at checkout', at which point I am commited to honoring the purchase.  Call me a silly consumer but I like to know the total cost BEFORE I commit to buying.  Duh.  If I walked into a china shop for that porcelain figurine and the seller said "it might cost $35 but it might cost $40... can't tell you till you're at the checkout" I would look at them like they were out of their mind (here's looking at YOU ebay! 😉 )  Then I would walk out and not buy anything.

• How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

I have but I'm not telling you.  I have little trust or confidence in ebay with respect to this program and I'm not so sure that asking that question isn't just to find out how much more you need to 'hide it' from buyers.  I'm sure if you wanted to come up with something to enable buyers to search for items that didn't use the GSP you could do that without our help, so I strongly quesiton the motives in asking that, sorry.

On another note, I recently asked a seller of an item I wanted who had the GSP on the item if he had listings without the GSP or could make one.  His first response to my pm?  This seller had 1,000+ feedback, so not a 'newbie'.

"Whats the GSP?"

I sent him a screenshot of how the listing appeared to me and showed where it had the GSP info and 'estimated' costs, gave him links and explained my point of view.  Unfortunately by the time I'd received his response I'd purchased the item from another seller.

He thanked me for the information and said that explains why the bottom has fallen out of his sales to Canada.   He said he used to ship 3 - 5 times a week to Canada and it has dropped to 1-2 times A MONTH.  Asked me to be sure to contact him in future if he had something I wanted, as he had no trouble listing it without the GSP and would be more than happy to.

15 - 20 lost sales a month.. thats substantial.  He's not getting any money and neither is ebay.

You can have all the details on this program that you want on information pages but the plain fact is that shopping on the internet is supposed to be EASIER than heading out to the store to hunt something down.  Or to find something unusual.  It's not supposed to involve a half hour of reading and then another half hour of trying to decide if what was read is decipherable.  People aren't interested in that.  There's a lot of people that say "hey the information is there, too bad for you if you didn't read it first" but thats not what shopping online - and formerly on ebay - is supposed to be about.

Message 190 of 6,171
latest reply

ive already stopped buying alot from ebay, now if i do buy from ebay, its hard as hell to find someone without this dumb gsp!

Message 191 of 6,171
latest reply

jose............  

It's still possible to work around the GSP, but what you're describing is the Big Picture.

Buyers are frustrated with the system.

Who wants so work this hard to spend money?

Eventually buyers leave.

I'll always buy here but this is my job.

For casual buyers:  It's a different story.

I'm at a complete loss to understand this move on eBay's part.

They've made buying here a PITA to appease a few US sellers.

Was that intentional or a poorly thought out maneuver?

I have no idea.

Message 192 of 6,171
latest reply

ut.babe wrot

"but Canada Border Services and Canada Post don't charge the importer for them."

Small correction.. Canada Border Services doesn't instruct Canada Post to charge the importer for them.  Canada Post does not ever make that decision themselves. CBS applies the invoice to the package for them to collect.  Picky technicality but figured I'd toss it in 🙂

That's actually not quite what I meant, although I can appreciate that my wording may have been a bit confusing.  Canada Border Services charges the buyer for taxes (and duty, if applicable) while Canada Post charges the importer a C$9.95 processing fee, so both entities are charging the importer, not just one.

@ut.babe wrote:

On another note, I recently asked a seller of an item I wanted who had the GSP on the item if he had listings without the GSP or could make one.  His first response to my pm?  This seller had 1,000+ feedback, so not a 'newbie'.

"Whats the GSP?"

I sent him a screenshot of how the listing appeared to me and showed where it had the GSP info and 'estimated' costs, gave him links and explained my point of view.  Unfortunately by the time I'd received his response I'd purchased the item from another seller.

He thanked me for the information and said that explains why the bottom has fallen out of his sales to Canada.   He said he used to ship 3 - 5 times a week to Canada and it has dropped to 1-2 times A MONTH.  Asked me to be sure to contact him in future if he had something I wanted, as he had no trouble listing it without the GSP and would be more than happy to.

15 - 20 lost sales a month.. thats substantial.  He's not getting any money and neither is ebay.

I'm not sure if this is your wording or a paraphrasing of the seller's wording, but I don't get the sense from your post that the seller has necessarily lost overall sales.  Shipping 3-5 times a week to Canada versus 1-2 times a month may not mean that nobody is buying the items that aren't getting shipped.  Those items may be going to U.S. buyers instead.

In other words, you could well be reporting that Canadian sales now make up a smaller proportion of sales for this seller.  The seller's overall sales may still be about the same with the GSP with the balance now being made up by non-Canadian buyers.

Am I making sense?

Message 193 of 6,171
latest reply

Was that intentional or a poorly thought out maneuver?

I'd say the odds are at least 10 to 1 on 'poorly thought out'

All big companies eventually run out of talent and employ hacks or the over promoted, and the result is this sort of cunning plan.

Message 194 of 6,171
latest reply

I understand what you're getting at. I don't know of course, he didn't elaborate on overall sales and I didn't ask but judging by the tone of his message it was a loss of sales that he had noticed and wondered about. I think he might have assumed lack of demand but now wonders if it is because of the GSP on his listings. He did not indicate in any way that his sales were the same, just not international, he indicated he was just flat out missing those sales.

There. Clear as mud 😄
Message 195 of 6,171
latest reply

Ok, went and got the message. Sellers wording exactly :

"I was wondering what happened to my canada sales. I used to ship at least 2 to 5 items every week but those sales have shrink to 1 or 2 a month."

So I'd say its a loss of sales overall.
Message 196 of 6,171
latest reply

Let's put up a list for buyers to sign up and promise not to buy from ebay for a month.

Here's me signing up,.

1)patken123

Message 197 of 6,171
latest reply

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but what do sellers see when they look at their listing that offers international sales?  How do they get into the GSP without being aware of it?  In my experience, the GSP has been as much, often more, and sometimes significantly more than the seller's shipping fee, and this is not on hgih priced items.  It makes me wonder why a seller would want to participate in the program, as I assume they are not getting any of the GSP fees.  If they aren't aware of it, how do we make them aware?  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out international sales are going to drop with this additional fee.

Message 198 of 6,171
latest reply

patken...... one problem with what you're attempting is that there are buyers who will never sign that petition.  I am one of them.  Even though the GSP makes my job more difficult............ several times a day ............. It's still my job.

A second problem is that only a very small percentage of buyers will ever see your petition to sign it.  I don't know the stats......... but maybe 1-5% of eBay buyers ever visit here.

I know I never dropped in once as a buyer.  

A third problem is that you're posting the petition on a eBay board.  This is their ball game.  

Message 199 of 6,171
latest reply

780maxim wrote:  It makes me wonder why a seller would want to participate in the program, as I assume they are not getting any of the GSP fees. 

GSP promo.JPG

Message 200 of 6,171
latest reply