Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

@pocomocomputing wrote:

When I was in Whistler, BC, a really small resort town as you know, the post office there has two red boxes outside, one labeled local mail and one for the rest of BC. So it appears to me that some cities as you said keep their local mail and sort it locally. This was a couple of years ago.

My town and at least a couple of others I know of used to have a similar dual red box system until a few years ago.  I suspect that Whistler has also lost theirs.

Message 5881 of 6,171
latest reply

There are two red boxes outside our Post Office (Fort St.) and outside our Postal Outlet (Oak Bay Avenue). None have that local/other labels anymore, but I suspect they did at one time.

Since 2013 all mail from Vancouver Island is sorted on the Mainland.

So if I sent an invitation to an Easter Tea to my cousin across town, it would go to Vancouver for sorting, then back to Victoria.

Seems legit.

Message 5882 of 6,171
latest reply

Unbelievably, or maybe not, there are people on this thread for over four years, I will not be one of them.

I've just had my first run in with the Global shipping program and I'm not impressed. Even considering that an independent broker or UPS processing my item might have been more expensive than Pitney-Bowes, I'd still have had the item in a sort of reasonable time frame, my small package went from Chino, CA to Erlanger KY in roughly 30 hours, four days to Chicago and another day to Canada, I assume Mississauga and it has been another 11 days to travel the remaining 50 kms an still not delivered.

As much as I disliked UPS charges, alt least you would get the item in a reasonable time, I see absolutely no value added by having Pitney-Bowes stuck in the middle of this, all it does is slow shipping. From my perspective it is a horrible mess and I will not deal with any seller that uses the program but I will tell sellers when they have lost a bidder.

Message 5883 of 6,171
latest reply

@quantummi wrote:

I will not deal with any seller that uses the program but I will tell sellers when they have lost a bidder.

Seeing as many sellers who have the Global Shipping Program on their listings aren't even aware that it's been automatically applied by eBay, they'd probably be surprised to learn that they lost a sale that they weren't expecting in the first place.

Message 5884 of 6,171
latest reply

My experience also. This was my first attempt, and it will be my last. The item I purchased has still not arrived, three weeks after the transaction was completed. It sat at customs for ten days before being cleared, at which point it appears to have returned to the US  via Chicago. Heading into week four, I have still not received it and have no anticipated delivery date. I understand the problem this service was trying to solve - that many US sellers don't want the headache of shipping to Canada - but it's ended up making me less, not more likely to buy from US sellers. Good luck with your item 😞

Message 5885 of 6,171
latest reply

Sounds like the GSP and PB are using the USPS route more and more now.
Whether that was a choice by PB without ebay knowing or a choice of ebay's, who knows but this route is making the GSP even worse.
I never thought it could be but the Erlanger to Chicago USPS route with 10 days in customs is a total joke. 

Message 5886 of 6,171
latest reply

@bobenis wrote:

Whether that was a choice by PB without ebay knowing or a choice of ebay's, who knows but this route is making the GSP even worse.

I still suspect it's a case of a Pitney Bowes subcontractor or someone working for that subcontractor who doesn't fully understand how the program is supposed to operate and is screwing up and using mail consolidation rather than freight consolidation services for GSP items bound for Canada.

I suggest you email Pitney Bowes support with queries if you'd like to try finding out what happened with your shipments and why.

http://www.pitneybowes.com/us/support/account/global-ecommerce-cross-border-shipping-support.html

Message 5887 of 6,171
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@bobenis wrote:

I still suspect it's a case of a Pitney Bowes subcontractor or someone working for that subcontractor who doesn't fully understand how the program is supposed to operate and is screwing up and using mail consolidation rather than freight consolidation services for GSP items bound for Canada.

I suggest you email Pitney Bowes support with queries if you'd like to find out what happened with your shipments and why.

http://www.pitneybowes.com/us/support/account/global-ecommerce-cross-border-shipping-support.html

I doubt that...highly unlikely that one person is repeatedly making this same mistake over many months without it being noticed or changed. 
These people above had their items come the same route, via Chicago, and wait at customs for 10+ days. 
This is a conscious decision by PB and ebay is not being forthright with this "new" process. 
You need to stop defending PB and ebay on this, Tom. 
They honestly are not out for our best interests here. 

Message 5888 of 6,171
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
The reason I doubt this is a Pitney Bowes decision is that my wife's recent purchase (MP3 player) did not go through USPS and I suspect this is the case for most GSP shipments. One more reported instance of a GSP item being routed through Chicago doesn't necessarily mean that tons are.

If you want to try to get some answers rather than theories or hypotheses, you're going to have to dig out your GSP shipment numbers and try contacting Pitney Bowes.
Message 5889 of 6,171
latest reply

Well my last 2 have been through Chicago USPS.

The other 2 chaps who just posted here are the same so it appears to be a trend but as I said before, perhaps they are doing this as a trial via those GSP auctions which do not have any duty charges on them?

I am seeing more and more of those popping up and there does not seem to be any pattern behind those which do and do not have a duty charge. Perhaps PB knows how to skew the system to send certain items via USPS without them being taxed via a NOEEI 30.37(a) exemption?

Message 5890 of 6,171
latest reply

@bobenis wrote:

Well my last 2 have been through Chicago USPS.

The other 2 chaps who just posted here are the same so it appears to be a trend but as I said before, perhaps they are doing this as a trial via those GSP auctions which do not have any duty charges on them?

Given that there are likely hundreds if not thousands of items passing through the Global Shipping Center before being handed off to a variety of subcontracted freight agents and logistics companies, I'm not sure if a small handful of reported incidents of USPS delivery constitutes a "trend" of any kind.  I'll grant that there may be some sort of experiment going on, but I don't think the items having zero "import charges" (those charges are actually just added to the shipping charge) has anything to do with it as my wife's MP3 player didn't have a line item for import charges, either.

@bobenis wrote:

I am seeing more and more of those popping up and there does not seem to be any pattern behind those which do and do not have a duty charge. Perhaps PB knows how to skew the system to send certain items via USPS without them being taxed via a NOEEI 30.37(a) exemption?

Those items that appear to be sent through USPS are going through a mail consolidator in shipments that probably have a mix of GSP items and items from other senders.  They all have to be accounted for somehow.

My understanding about the AES exemption that you note is that it's about a requirement to file an export license and has nothing to do with the item being taxed.

Message 5891 of 6,171
latest reply

OK, nevermind then.

Message 5892 of 6,171
latest reply

ddh1
Community Member

Re: Global Shipping Program. For shipping to Canada, import fees may not apply. For example, with shipping to Canada most items coming into Canada are not subject to any import fees and/or duties, this is determined by Canada Customs when the item crosses the border. Under the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) of which Canada, the USA and Mexico are part of, many items are exempt from import fees, and/or duties, such as some parts, items made in USA, Mexico, etc.  As well, with this "Global Shipping Program", the item is not shipped directly to the buyer, but to a "central shipping center" (Pitney Bowes), further increasing the amount of time it takes to receive the item. This program takes money from the "buyer" and gives it to the "middleman" - and of course a cut for e-bay. For the many items that are exempt from import fees and duties, the "Global Shipping Program" continues to collect those fees from the buyer even though the items may be exempt. So if Pitney Bowes collects import duties and they do not apply, who keeps that extra money? The Global Shipping Program is a rip-off for the buyer. Ebay and Pitney Bowes are in many cases in violation of the North America Free Trade Agreement. The "Global Shipping Program" is something that should be under review by the Canadian, American, and Mexican governments for violation under the NAFTA agreement. I urge all Canadians to boycott anyone using the Global shipping program, something every seller on ebay should consider. As a buyer, and if I'm the one paying for the shipping, I have the right to choose how an item is shipped and the seller has the right to apply conditions, such as insurance, tracking etc. If I get items shipped without the Global Shipping Program, the items are usually delivered to my door without any import fees, duties or taxes.

And why is there no feedback for the shipper? The feedback only affects the seller, and unfortunately if there is a screw up with the shipper, a negative feedback that may apply for shipping would unfairly affect the seller in a negative way. I know why there is no feedback for the shipper - because Pitney Bowes with their Global Shipping Program would have a 100% negative rating!!!!

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

Message 5893 of 6,171
latest reply

ddh1
Community Member

Re: Global Shipping Program. For shipping to Canada, import fees may not apply. For example, with shipping to Canada most items coming into Canada are not subject to any import fees and/or duties, this is determined by Canada Customs when the item crosses the border. Under the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) of which Canada, the USA and Mexico are part of, many items are exempt from import fees, and/or duties, such as some parts, items made in USA, Mexico, etc.  As well, with this "Global Shipping Program", the item is not shipped directly to the buyer, but to a "central shipping center" (Pitney Bowes), further increasing the amount of time it takes to receive the item. This program takes money from the "buyer" and gives it to the "middleman" - and of course a cut for e-bay. For the many items that are exempt from import fees and duties, the "Global Shipping Program" continues to collect those fees from the buyer even though the items may be exempt. So if Pitney Bowes collects import duties and they do not apply, who keeps that extra money? The Global Shipping Program is a rip-off for the buyer. Ebay and Pitney Bowes are in many cases in violation of the North America Free Trade Agreement. The "Global Shipping Program" is something that should be under review by the Canadian, American, and Mexican governments for violation under the NAFTA agreement. I urge all Canadians to boycott anyone using the Global shipping program, something every seller on ebay should consider. As a buyer, and if I'm the one paying for the shipping, I have the right to choose how an item is shipped and the seller has the right to apply conditions, such as insurance, tracking etc. If I get items shipped without the Global Shipping Program, the items are usually delivered to my door without any import fees, duties or taxes.

And why is there no feedback for the shipper? The feedback only affects the seller, and unfortunately if there is a screw up with the shipper, a negative feedback that may apply for shipping would unfairly affect the seller in a negative way. I know why there is no feedback for the shipper - because Pitney Bowes with their Global Shipping Program would have a 100% negative rating!!!!

Message 5894 of 6,171
latest reply

Agreed.
I cannot recall the last time I was charged duty on an item coming from the US to me via direct shipping. 

If the item is $150US+ I do, from time to time, get charged taxes but rarely duty. 

I am sure a part in that is due to so many items coming through the border that officers just let those lower priced items slide otherwise the build up of backlogged parcels would be overwhelming. 

GSP is a ripoff 100% and I have paid those "import fees" with them on items that were originally made in Canada...how ridiculous is that?
Same goes for US made items...it is a money grab and I sure hope ebay pays for this one way or another. 

Message 5895 of 6,171
latest reply

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program? - Nothing. I feel like I was forced to pay it.

• Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers? - The Canadian buyers should have a clear option to chose whether they prefer a CSP over other options or not. 

• What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program? -  For shipment into Canada, import fees may not apply, but through GSP we are forced to pay it upfront, on any value.  As mentioned below, this is determined by Canada Customs when the item crosses the border.

• How have you managed to search for items outside the program? - Unfortunately, it appears like some sellers may not be aware that the CSP option is on with their listing.
Message 5896 of 6,171
latest reply

@ddh1 wrote:

Re: Global Shipping Program. For shipping to Canada, import fees may not apply. For example, with shipping to Canada most items coming into Canada are not subject to any import fees and/or duties, this is determined by Canada Customs when the item crosses the border.

All items sent by mail or courier with a declared value of over C$20 and even some valued below that amount are subject to being charged taxes and duty (if applicable) by Canada Border Services.  It's just that the volume of parcels is so great that quite often a judgement call is made not to assess and charge taxes and duty.  This is a different kettle of fish than "determining" that an item is taxable or dutiable.

@ddh1 wrote:

Under the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) of which Canada, the USA and Mexico are part of, many items are exempt from import fees, and/or duties, such as some parts, items made in USA, Mexico, etc. 

NAFTA does not exempt items from HST, GST, PST, etc.  Otherwise those items you buy from stores that are made in Mexico would also be tax-exempt.

@ddh1 wrote:
The Global Shipping Program is a rip-off for the buyer. Ebay and Pitney Bowes are in many cases in violation of the North America Free Trade Agreement. The "Global Shipping Program" is something that should be under review by the Canadian, American, and Mexican governments for violation under the NAFTA agreement.

There is no NAFTA violation being committed here.

@ddh1 wrote:
if I'm the one paying for the shipping, I have the right to choose how an item is shipped

I've never had the choice of shipping method for a listing where the seller ships directly to me, unless you consider "take it or leave it" to be a choice.  Have you ever purchased from a seller offering multiple shipping methods directly to Canada?

No question that the GSP can get pretty pricey, but there are other shipping methods that can get expensive if used inappropriately.  For example, shipping a postcard by express mail isn't exactly cheap.  The GSP is priced to be competitive with parcel post to Canada, not small packet/letter mail.  You're probably accustomed to purchasing small, lightweight, and modestly priced items, and the GSP tends to suck for those.  It's much better for pricier, heavier items.

In addition, I have yet to find a shipping method that charges less than Canada Post does for processing and collecting taxes and duty when they are accessed by CBSA.  

I have a feeling you have yet to be hit with UPS or FedEx's brand of import charges for a ground shipment from the United States.

Message 5897 of 6,171
latest reply

My last three ebay purchases from the US have had the GSP charges applied. I used to wait two weeks for items ordered from the states; now I wait no less than 3 weeks. The added wait time coupled with the added cost (items are now more expensive with the GSP fees added than they were before) mean that I will never purchase another item that has the GSP fees added. Period. The last US item I looked at was a straw cowboy hat that had a cost of about $63. It was about $17 for shipping but another $21 (33%!) for the GSP. I won't pay that. Pitney Bowes will never see another red cent of my hard earned money.
Message 5898 of 6,171
latest reply

@bio_necro wrote:

The last US item I looked at was a straw cowboy hat that had a cost of about $63. It was about $17 for shipping but another $21 (33%!) for the GSP. I won't pay that. Pitney Bowes will never see another red cent of my hard earned money.

By my calculations on a straw cowboy hat of unknown country of manufacture, Pitney Bowes would be paying on your behalf roughly US$11 in duty plus another US$11 in Nova Scotia HST.  Then there would be another five bucks or so in customs processing fees added to that.

The "import charges" are the GSP's way of you paying Pitney Bowes back for what they paid the feds and whoever's doing the customs clearance work.  In the case of the hat, they might be doing this at a loss.

GSP charges generally make sense (although a rather expensive sort of sense) when you break them down, but there have been so many complaints about them that they're now getting pretty buried in the costs quoted on a listing page, making them harder to tease out.

Message 5899 of 6,171
latest reply

Yeah... Ebay loves using and defaulting to the GSP.
Just wait for a few to justify or make excuses for ebay shortly lol.
Message 5900 of 6,171
latest reply