Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Chat-with-the-eBay-Global-Shipping-T...

There are some interesting points.

The main one to strike me was  refunds.

Quote from out of the blue.(box)

(1) Return from buyer to seller

GSP does not currently support returns from the buyer to the seller.  The seller and the buyer can arrange a return together.  In such a case, the import/PB fees would not be refunded to the buyer as the amount was utilized to ship the order forward and, in case import charges were required, those funds have been used to clear the order through customs to deliver to the buyer.

Items not as described --- as a buyer you not only have to pay return shipping but you lose the shipping from Ky. to you and any taxes paid.

"You can't have your money back because we have spent it."

I can't see any common or garden ebay seller getting away with such reasoning.

Message 61 of 6,171
latest reply

" in case import charges were required, those funds have been used to clear the order through customs "

This is a sad commentary by eBay on its alleged lack of knowledge of Customs procedures worldwide.

eBay is telling the world it does not know how to claim back duty and taxes paid at time of importation when the goods are returned to foreign sellers (I knew how to do that when I was first involved with importing at the age of 18).

The reality of course is different.  eBay knows, Pitney-Bowes knows.  What they do not want to do is work on your behalf to get your money back because there is no profit in it for them.

That my friends is the real problem.

Message 62 of 6,171
latest reply

The two items were very small, very light collectibles of a similar nature. I don't think that duty would have applied on either one but I'm not an expert.

The weight and dimensions of an object have nothing to do with the value of that object. A US postage stamp sold this week for $500,000 in auction. (It was an Inverted Jenny and the buyer got a huge bargain compared to what the item has sold for over the past few years.)

Message 63 of 6,171
latest reply

How soon  can we expect an itemized invoice from Pitney/Bowes ?

We can not use  the GST as an ITC if it is not listed on the invoice.

Also what is  the P/B GST/HST registration number ?

By law this number must appear on all invoices where GST?HST is collected.

Kalvin- This is an important point, especially for BTB buyers and sellers. Apparently the interns who put this flawed program together did not know that merchants registered to remit taxes get rebates on the taxes they pay. However, we need Pitney- Bowes registration number to get our rebates.

Businesses have to make remittances monthly, so without that number, thousands of your professional sellers are not getting the rebates they are legally due.

Generally, as the foofaraw dies down, I think the program will be worthwhile for Canadian sellers and for Canadian taxpayers, since it will encourage buying Canadian and will put a few million dollars more against the debt Harper has been racking up over the past few years.

Message 64 of 6,171
latest reply

Be careful with that "untaxed".

Remember that it would only be "untaxed"  IF the value of the item was under $20 AND the parcel was not randomly chosen by Canada Post/CBSA and charged duty/tax/service fee, which theoretically and legally any $20+ import could be.

Most of the long time sellers posting here are aware of this and much of the angst among importers comes because CP/CBSA have been carefree about making those charges. I'm enough of a protectionist to think that perhaps CP/CBSA is doing the Canadian economy a disservice by their laxity. And enough of a free trader to think that the line for personal imports should be the same $200  for both those who are able to drive across the border and those who are using third party shippers like the postal system or a courier.

Message 65 of 6,171
latest reply

"perhaps CP/CBSA is doing the Canadian economy a disservice by their laxity."

I most definitely agree with you.

Message 66 of 6,171
latest reply

I can't see any common or garden ebay seller getting away with such reasoning.

I was thinking something similar when I heard about that.

It is ok for a seller to have to refund a buyer for buyer's remorse and be out the original shipping cost but PB can' t do the same. Sheesh.

Message 67 of 6,171
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I am going to try that line next time the taxman comes calling.

Sheesh indeed!

Message 68 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello again afantiques. I thought the response I posted on the other thread might also be useful here. 

+++++

Hi afantiques. 

I took a look back into yesterday's Live Chat thread, and found another answer that also talked about returns under the GSP. I will paste that below. 

Also keep in mind that eBay Buyer Protection still applies in GSP transactions. As outlined in the Buyer Terms & Conditions 

http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

The thread below makes a couple distinctions that I thought might be useful. Returns from buyer to seller vs. refund, the different types of SNAD scenarios, etc.

It is somewhat complicated. I am certainly still trying to keep it all straight myself. Here is a cut&paste from an answer Dallas (from eBay) privided yesterday:

+++++

Hi fruitacres,

Good questions - and tough ones.

Dallas, if there is no program in place for a buyer with a SNAD to return an item purchased to the seller of record (with mandatory delivery confirmation like domestic returns I would presume) does that mean

1. Foreign buyers do NOT have to return SNAD items for refund?  (seems completely unfair to sellers), or

If the SNAD is Pitney Bowes fault (for example, damaged in shipping during the international leg of transit), then no retun to the seller is necessary, the buyer does need to file a claim, but they will be made whole by eBay (for the total order cost, including the amount that was paid to the seller and the total amount the buyer paid to Pitney Bowes - international shipping, handling, customs, duties, taxes - total amount).  Pitney Bowes is responsible in that case, so the the seller is not held at fault for the SNAD and the seller keeps the money they received - the seller's portion is paid back through the dispute process by Pitney Bowes.

If the SNAD is not due to a Pitney Bowes error (for example, wrong color of item from what the buyer purchased), the normal eBay process applies for SNAD.  The buyer does need to return the item to the seller.

2. Foreign buyers DO have to return items at their own cost and method like normal prior to receiving a refund

Yes, specifically for a SNAD where PB is not the party at fault, the standard process would apply.  The buyers do have to return items, which would be at their cost if it is the buyer's fault - for example, buyer remorse.  It is always best if the seller specifies in a return policy who pays return shipping. 

And then, where do buyers return their item?  Pitney-Bowes or seller?

Since returns are not facilitated at this time by GSP from the buyer to the seller, the buyer would need to arrange the return directly with to the seller.

Because that (SNAD) is a big hangup from particpation in GSP whereas sellers might rather deal wityh a buyer using a re-shipper and thus buyer ggives up all BPP by forwarding?

So the buyer would not forfeit their protection in this case returning directly to the seller.  I am not certain if this answers your last question - if not, can you please visit the Seller Central board and open a thread and we will be sure to get back to you. 

+++++

Message 69 of 6,171
latest reply

Hello femmefan1946 and nuvistors.

I'm going to send these questions along to some additional eBay team members. Please stay tuned. 

Thanks.

-Ben

Message 70 of 6,171
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Be careful with that "untaxed".

Remember that it would only be "untaxed"  IF the value of the item was under $20 AND the parcel was not randomly chosen by Canada Post/CBSA and charged duty/tax/service fee, which theoretically and legally any $20+ import could be.

Most of the long time sellers posting here are aware of this and much of the angst among importers comes because CP/CBSA have been carefree about making those charges. I'm enough of a protectionist to think that perhaps CP/CBSA is doing the Canadian economy a disservice by their laxity. And enough of a free trader to think that the line for personal imports should be the same $200  for both those who are able to drive across the border and those who are using third party shippers like the postal system or a courier.

I actually deliberately compared the GSP sale to an untaxed postal shipment for a couple of reasons.  The first is that books aren't subject to the $20 exemption from taxes the way most postal imports are, so there's no need to wonder about the shipment's declared value.  The second reason is that if I made the comparison more "apples versus apples" and compared it to a taxed postal shipment, there'd likely be protests from users who would pull the "my stuff never gets taxed" card.

I think it's pretty easy to conclude that if one can get an item shipped through the GSP for only 36 cents more than the same untaxed one sent through the postal system, then that item sent through the postal system and taxed is going to be even more expensive than the equivalent GSP shipment.

If you follow the link I posted to the thread on the .com boards, you should be able to do a comparison of the two listings yourself to see if my number crunching is still correct.

Message 71 of 6,171
latest reply

I'll repost my response to your reply 🙂

That is fairly clear, if muddled, but it does not address in any way the fact, as stated in the quote I pasted ( I did read the entire chat and all the posts) that there is no refund to the buyer in a SNAD claim (not the fault of the shipper) of the international shipping and taxes paid, which could well be as much or more than the basic cost of the item, the amount that I understand would be refunded.

The buyer who buys a $200 camera,say, and pays $50 shipping and $50 Import charges (I am using UK import VAT levels here to estimate this) will have paid $300. If they then discover that the item is faulty, they open a SNAD claim and under normal terms as outlined above, return the item to the seller at a cost to them of, say, $30, and  they will be refunded $200 by the seller..

The cost of this experience to the buyer, through no fault of their own, (unless choosing a seller with a faulty item was a buyer fault) amounts to $130, and they have no camera.

I would be delighted to have it as a statement of policy that the ebay rep 'mis-spoke', as they say. and that this would not be the case, but as it stands I fear it would be. and my hypothetically 'protected' buyer will lose $130 from the $330 they spent: a figure they might not consider amounts to 'shopping  safely on ebay'.

These situations should be rare, but just a few customers going totally postal about the money thay have lost, with ebay's connivance, it might be said, will not be good adverts for ebay.

In terms of effective advertising spend, I'd say one customer's negative word of mouth would need several hundred or even thousand dollars media advertising to balance.

The risk of this sort of occasional claim can be calculated, and indeed if you read the terms and conditions it seems that the import charge make up already includes a contingency amount to cover errors and ommissions.

Adding maybe another dollar to cover a complete refund to all buyers whatever the problem (within the buyer protection guidelines) would be a far better idea than stiffing the buyer with a 30% or more dead loss.

Some flaws in this program that should never have made it to the live testing have now been ironed out, but others remain and there seems to be a lack of will or ability to tackle problems a competent manager would never have allowed to arise in the first place.

You replied

It seemed very odd to me that a buyer would be out any $ in a case like the one you describe above (or below, as I type this). So I went back and took a look at the Buyer Terms & Conditions page, and found #4a:

"eBay Buyer Protection. Your purchases of GSP Items on eBay.com are covered by eBay.com’s eBay Buyer Protection policy if your purchases otherwise meet the policy’s eligibility requirements and conditions and do not fall within an exclusion or coverage limitation. eBay.com’s eBay Buyer Protection policy may be different from the eBay Buyer Protection policy (if any) on your own eBay site of registration. If you are eligible for eBay Buyer Protection and eBay finds in your favor in a case stemming from your purchase of a GSP Item under the Program, the applicable coverage amount will include the Program Fees that you paid for the GSP Item."

So the way I read this is that if the item is SNAD, and not the fault of the shipper, the buyer has to ship it back to the seller. If the seller is found to be at fault, the buyer will be refunded an "amount will include the Program Fees that you paid for the GSP Item."

Not trying to argue, or split hairs. And again, you know these policies better than I do. But to me it sounds like the buyer is protected and reimbursed (eventually ....) in SNAD cases. It's simply a matter of whether the reimbursement comes from eBay/Pitney or the seller. 

and I replied

But to me it sounds like the buyer is protected and reimbursed (eventually ....) in SNAD cases. It's simply a matter of whether the reimbursement comes from eBay/Pitney or the seller. 

A fair response, the policy does indeed read that way. But then, in my hypothetical case, is the seller going to be debited for an extra $100 to cover the amount that it was clearly stated is not refundable from ebay/PB?

. Is the seller warned that by using the GSP they are making themselves liable for ALL GSP fees including the ones kept by ebay/PB that they never see in their accounts. I feel that if this is the case, it should appear quite prominently in the terms and conditions. Sellers may not fancy laying themselves open to liabilities unknown to them (sellers do not see GSP costs or the total the buyer is charged) with every listing.

We seem to have a clear contradiction here. I am not in a position to resolve it, but I would assume you have some sort of ebay chain of command that you can climb up till you reach someone with a definitive answer. Although they may shoot the messenger. 😞

It is quite possible that it is a situation no one has given any thought to. In view of the liabilities for buyer or seller that I have outlined it is about time they did.

Which is how it stands at present.

This is all a bit lengthy but I think the points raised are important and should be considered by buyers and sellers.

Message 72 of 6,171
latest reply

CANCEL THIS HORRIBLE PROGRAM!!

Nothing more then a cash grab!

Goverment doesnt need your help to collect taxes duties or any other fees!    TRUST ME!!

If it's not broke don't fix it!!!  Sellers did just fine without this terrible program.  STOP IT!!

They don't even combine shipping!!! 

Just a HUGE scam and I plan on warning people and if things don't change I'm gone!

Message 73 of 6,171
latest reply

The Global Shipping program has saved me lots of money because I rarely buy on Ebay anymore because I won't buy from US sellers that use it and most of the stuff I was buying before this program started was from the US. So thanks Ebay, my bank account loves you. But if you ever get rid of the program I will shop more often.

Message 74 of 6,171
latest reply

I gather there've been changes involving "Pitney Bowles" .

Extra charges tacked on by them for "Shipping Costs".

What is going on? Apparently this began in July 2013.

Seems to me some middleman's making a tidy little sum here!

I've bought many nice things on eBay in the past & have 100% excellent feedback.

However, if this goes on, & especially for non-new items, I'll most probably stop buying from the US through eBay.

It doesn't happen with UK items.

Message 75 of 6,171
latest reply

Great ! So we'll finally start REALLY being eBay.ca  !

I Won't be buying from the States any more until this secrecy stops.

I want to know what I'll pay BEFORE I pay.

Is it even legal to have hidden costs like this?

And how does the seller feel when he/she gets sale after sale cancelled when the buyer sees the REAL cost that was concealed before?

Hope the ranks of Canadian sellers will swell proportionately to the awful mess  the GSP has caused.

No-one likes even the APPEARANCE of a scam, dear eBay !

As someone else has said here, WHO IS RUNNING THE SHOW ? PITNEY BOWLES or eBAY ??

Message 76 of 6,171
latest reply

A specific example of this "extra" charge of $10.28 might help me with an analysis, but I can tell you that the Pitney Bowes charges on a Global Shipping Program are the import charges the buyer has to pay plus the cost of shipping the item from the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky to where the buyer is located.

The eBay-related charge you'll see is the item price plus whatever the seller was charging to get the item shipped to the Global Shipping Center.  (It will be their first listed shipping charge for within the U.S.)

You should still be paying the same total you saw at Checkout.  It's just that the total payment gets split up between the seller and Pitney Bowes.  Does that make a bit more sense now?

Message 77 of 6,171
latest reply

I want to know what I'll pay BEFORE I pay.

Is it even legal to have hidden costs like this?

GSP items do show the costs, and once you hit the 'Buy' button you go to a second screen where the actual price is confirmed, at that point you can back out and forget it or commit to buy.

This is hardly a hidden cost, unless you simply fail to read what it says on the screen.

I am not saying GSP is a good idea, but let's be factual about this.

The only way the GSP charge would come as a surprise at all is if you are logged into ebay.com and have changed the 'ship to' address from Canada to USA. After that a cookie would cause your ebay page to show you items  with US shipping costs.

If you went to buy one it would revert to a Canadian shipping cost, but at that point you could simply back out.

Message 78 of 6,171
latest reply

OP, just avoid sellers with 'import charges' as well as postage showing on the listing..

This scheme has been around for almost a year now.  Read the threads about the Global Shipping Program for far more than you ever wanted to know.

Message 79 of 6,171
latest reply

Some of the GSP listings shown to Canadians are quite a mess.

Some of the BINs priced over CAD20.00, with bidding starting under CAD20.00, are showing  import charges which may be based on the BIN price.

There is no explanation given on the listing, or the links provided, of what those import charges are based on, that I could find.

I expect most Canadian buyers would bypass the item and the seller loses a potential bidder. 

Some large price discrepancies on the import charges shown between ebay.com and ebay.ca on the same items are ongoing, also.

At least a couple of GSP listings aren't showing any shipping or import charges to Canada, nor are they shown at the links .

Items #281183480466 and 281183486475.

Maybe the charges would show up if a bid was made and maybe the buyer could retract their bid, just wonder if that could reflect poorly on a buyers record.

The seller is trying to opt out of the GSP to avoid any potential problems.

Lots of potential for confusion, anyways.

HEROSCAPE 1.JPG

Message 80 of 6,171
latest reply