Counterfeit products from France?

Hi all, I come to you for advice as I find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I purchased some Kylie lip kits from France - they were cheap, yes, but I used tutorials online to analyze the photos and make sure they were not knock-offs. But when they arrived, sure enough they were oh so slightly different from the photos, and matching the knock-offs in the tutorials. He must have used stock photos. I tried the product anyways and it's not anything like the real product, which I own a few of.....

So I contact the seller and explain that I'm under the impression that these are fakes. He says, no problem, return them to this address in France.

Hm......

So despite the sinking feeling I have, I go onto Canada Post's website and use their shipping calculating tool. $40 to send these counterfeit products, with a tracking number, back to the guy that ripped me off. The total of the lipsticks by the way, including $15 shipping, was $70 CAD. Now I know from past experiences that there's a big confusion about who pays the return shipping on eBay Canada.... the seller is supposed to send a return shipping label, but if they're international then they can't do that, so it's basically up the buyer to trust that the seller is a nice, honest person and will refund them the return shipping upon receiving the item.

This guy has already ripped me off once so I don't really trust that he won't do it again.  I noticed he has some other feedback regarding counterfeit Kylie products now as well. 

I emailed him a screenshot of Canada Post's quote and asked him if he'd send me the money to return it. Other than that, I don't really know where to go from here. Any advice would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Open a formal 'Item Not as Described' claim with ebay under the Moneyback Guarantee citing that the product 'does not seem authentic'. The seller is then obligated to send you funds for Return Postage if he cannot produce a return postage label directly. If he does not do either, escalate to ebay as soon as you can and explain the problem as best as you are able. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Ebay will obligate the seller to send either a return label or funds to purchase return postage as one of the requirements that must be met before the next step is taken. This is part of the Returns process. If the seller fails to do so by the point in time which ebay deems it necessary, escalate the case. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

You should never had paid for shipping upfront.You should have opened a claim and Ebay supposedly would have had the seller send you the return postage up front or you would of received a refund and garbaged the product

Have you even opened an INAD case with Ebay?

If not, do so immediately.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Open a formal 'Item Not as Described' claim with ebay under the Moneyback Guarantee citing that the product 'does not seem authentic'. The seller is then obligated to send you funds for Return Postage if he cannot produce a return postage label directly. If he does not do either, escalate to ebay as soon as you can and explain the problem as best as you are able. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Oh, and don't leave any kind of feedback about this until the matter is concluded. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Now I know from past experiences that there's a big confusion about who pays the return shipping on eBay Canada....

Not really. For an Item Not As Described it is the seller who pays.

the seller is supposed to send a return shipping label, but if they're international then they can't do that,

True.

But this is the seller's problem not yours.

If he cannot provide proof that he has sent the return postage in some form, he loses the case and you are reimbursed.

This is a problem for us sellers who ship internationally. EBay or Paypal needs to set up some sort of escrow service to cover this exact situation, where the return postage is held and only released to the buyer when a shipping label is printed.

I have hopes that Shippo which apparently works internationally, will find a way to address this problem.

Since they seem unable to inform Canada Post that they are an accredited purveyor of shipping labels, I don't plan to hold my breath.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Oh boy do I feel ya femmefan! I'm a long time ebayer and have never really grasped international returns, and as a result have lost what I imagine by now has amounted to a significant amount of money because I've been too scared to return the item and be out even more money than I was before. So I totally agree,I wish there was a more clear protocol in these instances.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

So I just tried opening a case with eBay and it will only let me select one item at a time, there are 3 items in total, do I have to open 3 separate cases?

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Yes. Open a case for each item which is Not As Described.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

The protocol is not unclear for a buyer. If you don't get what you ordered, the seller is obligated to fund Return Postage through eBay's 30-day MoneyBack Guarantee.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Does it actually say that somewhere though? I'm reading through it and it says the seller might ask you to return it and to use tracking, but nothing of a guaranteed refund of return shipping.
http://pages.ebay.ca/ebay-money-back-guarantee/how-to-help.html
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Ebay will obligate the seller to send either a return label or funds to purchase return postage as one of the requirements that must be met before the next step is taken. This is part of the Returns process. If the seller fails to do so by the point in time which ebay deems it necessary, escalate the case. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

AHA!!

According to the Shippo spokesperson during the recent discussion-- we can use Shippo to print a USPS Return Shipping Label.

To answer your USPS return label question, which is related to carrier accounts, Shippo does come with master accounts immediately upon sign up. USPS and DHL Express (for US originated shipments) are two of them.

For returns from the US to Canada, you’ll need to manually input the order information.

1)  Take note of your customer address and package information. On the Orders page, head to "Create Order"

2) Input your customer's address as the "Sender Address", and input your return location as the "Recipient Address"

3) Input your package information, customs details, and select from the available USPS or DHL Express rates.

4) Purchase label, download, and send to the customer.

You'll be charged for the label as usual in your invoice. If your customer does not use the label, you will receive a refund after 30 days – which also voids the label.

Since I have so far been unable to print a Canada Post Shippo label, and rarely use labels anyway, I can't confirm this information.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I opened case for each item under the option that the items were not as described, explained how I believed them to be counterfeit, and the seller immediately accepted the returns. It then informed me that the seller isn't able to send a shipping label, and that I should purchase a label and "we'll ask the seller to reimburse you."

How does that work? I purchase the label, they ask him, and what if he says no? Then I'm still out the return shipping. I don't know how to proceed again.

Appreciate the help.... again.... thanks!....

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Can you help me dutchman48? I opened the claim, eBay informed me the seller wasn't able to send a return shipping label, and now, as I had feared, it's asking me to pay for a shipping label and "we'll ask the seller to reimburse you." How will they do that? Am I guaranteed to be reimbursed for it? Because you mentioned eBay would make the seller front me the return money, and that's not looking to be the case unfortunately...
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Have you considered calling Customer Service for the reassurance you seek? It's under Help & Contact. Narrow it down to an issue with Returns. It seems to me that you would like an absolute answer and Customer Service is the one to give it to you. We are members ourselves and despite being able to guide you with our own ample experiences and expertise, we cannot make promises to you for ebay to keep. You'd best be served by getting them directly from ebay if that's what you are looking for. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@gilliankehler wrote:

.... How does that work? I purchase the label, they ask him, and what if he says no? Then I'm still out the return shipping. I don't know how to proceed again.....

When ebay 'asks' a seller to do something (to paraphrase The Godfather) it's an offer they cannot refuse. Funds will be granted to the buyer, or the seller's account will be sanctioned and monies given to the buyer from ebay with the seller held accountable for that. The MoneyBack Guarantee is clear, and if a buyer is making a valid claim under that guarantee, they are protected. If you require confirmation and/or elaboration of the specific workings of that MoneyBack Guarantee, and you are not comfortable in taking our word for that, you must call Customer Service and speak to a representative who would be pleased to walk you through the steps in detail. 

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for the help everyone, sorry for wanting to be 100% sure but $70 is $70. The guy just ended up sending me a refund for the items which closed the case before I had to make the decision to buy a label or not. Although I would have enjoyed spending his money to send his **bleep**py counterfeit products back to him, it would have extended the stress of money being held in limbo. As usual I appreciate all your wisdom:) 

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

You are very welcome. I'm glad to hear the case was resolved as it should be and in a timely manner.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply