Do we really need the Global Shipping Program for Canadian buyers?We have Canada Customs already?

It looks redundant to do the job of our Canada Customs by a foreign company Pitney Bowes?

It also looks like they want to mirror the services of the Government Postal Systems?

They also charge a brokerage fee on top of that?

I have been an Ebay customer for so long.

Once I used the Global Shipping Program I had no choice because the seller uses it.  I bought an item from a fellow in New York State, I am in Toronto Canada

The Parcel went to Pitney Bowes in the Mid West, They repackage the item and it took them two days to sort, and prepare etc.

It was shipped finally. It took the Parcel a long time to arrive. On top of that there was a tracking number with no Courier company name. So all I have is a useless tracking number. I had no way to find out when the Global Shipping Parcel will arrive.

the funny thing is if the courier delivers and nobody is home they give you a tag to pickup at their Depot usually far in the boonies, and no bus goes there? If you don't have a car tough luck. The reason you bought is for the Parcel to be delivered to your door?

So sorry Ebay Sellers who uses The Global Shipping Sorry you probably lost a lot of Canadian Buyers?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Do we really need the Global Shipping Program for Canadian buyers?We have Canada Customs already?

not CANPAR BUT A WELL KNOWN COURIER

Which one? We are all members here, and any extra information we can get is useful.

I have heard of one instance where the courier used was FedEx , but the usual courier mentioned is CanPar.

It's a stupid system for low value items, although I believe it has been mentioned that it can actually be a money saver on high value or very bulky items which would definitely be pulled by CBSA if they were shipped postally.

My one and only GSPpurchase was a book that was cheaper, including all the GSP charges, than any other available on eBay or Amazon but over $20 IIRC.  And yes, it was repacked (with a notice) in KY into a  24"x12"x6" box, although it was probably originally sent in an envelope. Which leads me to think repackaging is not done to reduce the size of parcels.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Well in the greater Toronto area, CanPar just has the one depot and it is in the west end near the airport. For those of us in the east end, it's a long drive and on public transit--forget it. So I don't ever use the GSP, lest CanPar be the shipper. It is dead to me. I still manage to buy most of the things I really want from non-GSP sellers, but recently was looking for an older Hallmark Christmas ornament and ALL the sellers offering it (all in the USA, none in Canada) used the GSP. Managed to find a non-eBay online seller who shipped USPS.

Maybe the GSP works well for bulky items or some other things, but no one will ever convince me its introduction was a good thing for most buyers in Canada. My eBay buying dropped by 75% after its introduction, and what I do buy now is mostly from the UK or EU. I know the GSP has infested the UK, but not as yet to the extent that it has the USA, and long may it stay that way.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

being discussed everywhere.. just avoid sellers who only offer gsp..

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@jiminiequick wrote:

It looks redundant to do the job of our Canada Customs by a foreign company Pitney Bowes?

It also looks like they want to mirror the services of the Government Postal Systems?

They also charge a brokerage fee on top of that?

I have been an Ebay customer for so long.

Once I used the Global Shipping Program I had no choice because the seller uses it.  I bought an item from a fellow in New York State, I am in Toronto Canada

The Parcel went to Pitney Bowes in the Mid West, They repackage the item and it took them two days to sort, and prepare etc.

It was shipped finally. It took the Parcel a long time to arrive. On top of that there was a tracking number with no Courier company name. So all I have is a useless tracking number. I had no way to find out when the Global Shipping Parcel will arrive.

the funny thing is if the courier delivers and nobody is home they give you a tag to pickup at their Depot usually far in the boonies, and no bus goes there? If you don't have a car tough luck. The reason you bought is for the Parcel to be delivered to your door?

So sorry Ebay Sellers who uses The Global Shipping Sorry you probably lost a lot of Canadian Buyers?

If you purchase an item from the United States that's shipped by ground through a carrier such as UPS or FedEx, your item won't be cleared through Canada Border Services, either.  And you'll pay a lot more in brokerage at your door or some weeks after the fact than you will through the Global Shipping Program.

As far as I know, it's only items sent through the mail that get inspected and assessed any taxes and duty owing by Canada Border Services.  All other shipping services have outside or in-house agencies handling the customs end of things.

When it comes to the shipping itself, did your item arrive within the delivery time estimate stated on the listing page?  If it did and you needed it sooner than that, why did you purchase the item anyway?

Yes, the ability to track GSP items online is pretty dicey.  From what I've been able to piece together, Pitney Bowes has the tracking information, but it doesn't always get transmitted to eBay.  Another poster on another thread recently posted a link to a Pitney Bowes page that they seemed to be suggesting would work for GSP shipments but I haven't heard any verification of that from another user yet.

I've purchased only two items through the Global Shipping Program, but I did my homework first and found it worked quite well for the type of merchandise I bought.  Not every shipping method is suitable for every single shippable item out there.  My advice for the GSP is to buy from sellers who use it if it makes sense and you can put up with some of its quirks, and don't buy from sellers using it where it doesn't make sense.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

If you purchase an item from the United States that's shipped by ground through a carrier such as UPS or FedEx, your item won't be cleared through Canada Border Services, either.  And you'll pay a lot more in brokerage at your door or some weeks after the fact than you will through the Global Shipping Program.

As far as I know, it's only items sent through the mail that get inspected and assessed any taxes and duty owing by Canada Border Services.  All other shipping services have outside or in-house agencies handling the customs end of things.

When it comes to the shipping itself, did your item arrive within the delivery time estimate stated on the listing page?  If it did and you needed it sooner than that, why did you purchase the item anyway?

Yes, the ability to track GSP items online is pretty dicey.  From what I've been able to piece together, Pitney Bowes has the tracking information, but it doesn't always get transmitted to eBay.  Another poster on another thread recently posted a link to a Pitney Bowes page that they seemed to be suggesting would work for GSP shipments but I haven't heard any verification of that from another user yet.

I've purchased only two items through the Global Shipping Program, but I did my homework first and found it worked quite well for the type of merchandise I bought.  Not every shipping method is suitable for every single shippable item out there.  My advice for the GSP is to buy from sellers who use it if it makes sense and you can put up with some of its quirks, and don't buy from sellers using it where it doesn't make sense.

Good post!  Informative, truthful, and still very kind. Can we pin it to the top of the buyer boards somewhere?  🙂  

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Canada Post to me is the best!

If they deliver and you are not home they leave you a tag to pickup next day at a Canada Post Outlet near you and not in a far away unknown place to pick up.

People complain Canada Post cost a lot more. To me for the services they provide me it is justified.

Canada Post is so Humongous they are everywhere. They even had a profit last year HOORAY FOR THEM

It is totally amazing for a Government agency their size to turn in a Profit!

They are everywhere for a retired person like me, this is convenient.

Stats Canada says there will be a flood of retiree coming in the next ten years.

This is just my personal opinion.

Good Job Canada Post, Thanks!

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Oh I just want to add when you have to pay Customs duties, fees, and Taxes for your Parcels. Canada Post Tags those to your Parcel and you pay when you pickup. Again same as The GPS services.

To me at least I know when I pay Canada Post my Money went to My Government Coppers and not to a foreign Company imitating the same services.

To me The GPS is good only for Big Businesses, and not for a small fry' like me.

Oh when I spoke to The Courier Company that tried to deliver my parcel thru GPS service their Agent told me they deliver first to the  Businesses establishments first and residence later.

So sorry I won't buy in to the GPS service.

Good Luck to All.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Oh I forgot to mention the GPS system uses multiple couriers to do the shipping for them as explained by them. So tracking can be awfully confusing.

I would like to give multiful  kudos to Canada Post, You see a private courier company when they deliver they give you a note for a second delivery but that is depends on what kind of Services the shipper used on that Courier Company. Or like what I said you will be given a tag to pickup parcel at depot or pay extra to deliver to you again.

Now here is the reason why to me Canada Post is the greatest Service for. My argument is when they deliver and you are not home they leave you a tag to pickup the next day at THE NEAREST POSTAL OUTLET CLOSSES TO YOUR HOME. Not in some far away unfamiliar place place to pick up your parcel.

I really admire how Canada Post turned a profit last year inspite of there humongous operation.

They have Outlets everywhere, totally amazing. People complain of the Postal service high cost, to I say that is justified by thr service I get. I am a retired individual and I don't want to be running around for my Parcel. Stats Canada says

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

The Global Shipping Program is a SELLER PROTECTION  program.

Any effect on buyers is coincidental.

The Seller is protected by using cheap domestic tracking to the GSP plant in Kentucky.

After that responsibilty for delivery is handled by the GSP.

The Seller is also protected against negative feedback about foreign duty and sales taxes or late delivery.

And provincial and xenophobic Sellers are reassured that they are not really shipping internationally but still have the enlarged international market.

They repackage the item and

No.

They don't.

If the Seller did not make it clear what was in the parcel, it might be opened and assessed, but thousands and thousands of packages going all over the world are pouring into the plant hourly.

Repackaging every parcel would be impossible and impossibly expensive.

This urban myth has been debunked by afantiques, who has actually visited the UK GSP plant.

The GSP takes the word of the Seller on the contents of the parcels they recieve, unless there is a reason to be suspicious.

So all I have is a useless tracking number. I had no way to find out when the Global Shipping Parcel will arrive.

Another poster worked this out for buyers who have not yet received their GSP shipment.
TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery

I had no way to find out when the Global Shipping Parcel will arrive.

If the purchase item arrives when you are not home, the carrier (usually Canada Post) will leave a Notice telling you where and when the parcel can be picked up.

Usually this is your local Postal Outlet.

The other company mentioned frequently is CANPAR, but mostly in urban areas.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Just to let you know the package was repackage as labeled by your Pitney Bowes GPS depot in Kentucky USA.

Remember the Package Originally came from NEW YORK STATE. It went on a merry go around!

My Canada Post employee friend told me it will definely be faster if Seller used USPS Postal system was the shipping used in the first place! He said the possible delay will be in the Customs check which is now has a faster system of processing. Except during the Christmas season.

There was no GPS shipping before on Ebay. Business went on.

the seller should know that when you use Ebay or any Auction based business there will always be risk, in fact in any business.

That's why business now has risk management experts, right?

What about Buyer protection! I have been an Ebayer since March 2000. I never had problems till your GPS shipping system.

Oh I forgot to say I had the GSP courier Tag. I called courier and was told I have to pickup at depot. Boy I had to ask my friend to drive me to the boonies location of courier. Help pay him gas. If only I had a tracking number that actually showed approximate delivery dates. Do you think at this point i would really care about seller protection? What about me the disgruntled buyer?

Sorry, But I don't buy it. (GSP)

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

The courier at that time is not CANPAR BUT A WELL KNOWN COURIER AT THAT TIME.
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

@jiminiequick wrote:

Just to let you know the package was repackage as labeled by your Pitney Bowes GSP depot in Kentucky USA.

I have yet to see a Pitney Bowes GSP sticker that states that the item was "repackaged".  All the stickers I've seen state that the item was "resealed".  To me, "repackaged" means that the item was put in a different container possibly with different protection for the item.  Is this what happened to your item?

@jiminiequick wrote:

Remember the Package Originally came from NEW YORK STATE. It went on a merry go around!

My Canada Post employee friend told me it will definely be faster if Seller used USPS Postal system was the shipping used in the first place! He said the possible delay will be in the Customs check which is now has a faster system of processing.

In my opinion, the Global "Shipping" Program would be better labelled as a forwarding service.  I think this would help buyers with their expectations of the program and their understanding of why items don't always take the most direct route to their destination.

Also consider that the program serves about a hundred other countries and not all of them have customs services (or mail services, for that matter) that are as efficient as ours.  From that perspective, the GSP may actually work in the favour for those living in these countries.

@jiminiequick wrote:

There was no GPS shipping before on Ebay. Business went on.

the seller should know that when you use Ebay or any Auction based business there will always be risk, in fact in any business.

That's why business now has risk management experts, right?

Not everyone in the United States is a business expert, even the 45th President.  A lot of eBay sellers are just home-based sellers who have little to no experience selling in other environments.  They tend to take eBay's gospel about shipping with tracking, insurance, etc. as "protection" to heart and conduct themselves accordingly.  They also don't have the same sort of appreciation of life in other countries the way many of us Canadians do.  In the past on the .com boards, I've read many posts who liken shipping overseas to flushing their items and money down the toilet.  These sorts of images tend to resonate with the naive, unfortunately, who don't realize that shipping a five buck stuffed toy to France is a different ball of wax than shipping a $600 mobile phone to a former East Bloc nation.

@jiminiequick wrote:

Oh I forgot to say I had the GSP courier Tag. I called courier and was told I have to pickup at depot. Boy I had to ask my friend to drive me to the boonies location of courier. Help pay him gas. If only I had a tracking number that actually showed approximate delivery dates.

Wasn't there a delivery estimate on the listing page?

While I do have sympathy for your mobility issues, you also have to keep in mind that the decision of what carrier to use in Canada isn't made by Pitney Bowes but by the subcontractor responsible for handling the item in Canada.  As suggested by femmefan, if you had to make a trip to a courier's depot to collect your item, you probably live in an urban centre that's cheaper for the subcontractor to ship to by courier rather than via Canada Post.

No question the GSP has some serious issues, but the best way to manage those issues is to do your homework first and figure out if the GSP makes sense for the item you're purchasing.  There's nothing forcing you to purchase an item from a seller who appears to be using the GSP inappropriately, and nothing to stop you from sending a polite message to the seller asking if they'd consider relisting the item with direct shipping to Canada specified in the listing.

However, keep in mind that many sellers using the GSP inappropriately are probably unaware that it's been automatically applied to their listings by eBay.   This can happen when the seller doesn't specify international shipping options and rates in their listing. There's an update to the user agreement that says as much, but it appears that some sellers aren't particularly good about keeping up to speed on changes to it.  Your request may get expressions of confusion in response.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

not CANPAR BUT A WELL KNOWN COURIER

Which one? We are all members here, and any extra information we can get is useful.

I have heard of one instance where the courier used was FedEx , but the usual courier mentioned is CanPar.

It's a stupid system for low value items, although I believe it has been mentioned that it can actually be a money saver on high value or very bulky items which would definitely be pulled by CBSA if they were shipped postally.

My one and only GSPpurchase was a book that was cheaper, including all the GSP charges, than any other available on eBay or Amazon but over $20 IIRC.  And yes, it was repacked (with a notice) in KY into a  24"x12"x6" box, although it was probably originally sent in an envelope. Which leads me to think repackaging is not done to reduce the size of parcels.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Yours is the only comments that makes sense,

Honest, down to earth, and unbiased.

Unlike the other commentator who makes Condescending, and Moralistic statements.

Thankk You

jiminiequick

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Well in the greater Toronto area, CanPar just has the one depot and it is in the west end near the airport. For those of us in the east end, it's a long drive and on public transit--forget it. So I don't ever use the GSP, lest CanPar be the shipper. It is dead to me. I still manage to buy most of the things I really want from non-GSP sellers, but recently was looking for an older Hallmark Christmas ornament and ALL the sellers offering it (all in the USA, none in Canada) used the GSP. Managed to find a non-eBay online seller who shipped USPS.

Maybe the GSP works well for bulky items or some other things, but no one will ever convince me its introduction was a good thing for most buyers in Canada. My eBay buying dropped by 75% after its introduction, and what I do buy now is mostly from the UK or EU. I know the GSP has infested the UK, but not as yet to the extent that it has the USA, and long may it stay that way.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

tenbears
Community Member

I used to ship freight from Texas and other states and do my own "entry" The Majority of items were used and vintage clothing,boots,Americanna Texanna Etc.I have also been a buyer and seller on Ebay since sellers had to essentially write HTML code in order to load items for sale. Also pre and post G.S.P.

I would also say that although N.A.F.T.A, and most favored nation, and gst and pst were all in place, the items I imported and exported were not typical, and that what YOU are buying or selling on Ebay or using, being subjected to the Global Shipping Program for might be completely different to ME, and therefore have different, duties,taxes or inspection rates.

This is what I know: ......First of all CBS, (Canada Border Services.)... has the authority and discretion to open and inspect and parcel or parcel letter coming into Canada from any foreign country including our buddies to the south. Not necessarily for duties and taxes but just to be certain what the contents or manifest are labeled as, matches what is actually being shipped (in the box cylinder or envelope). CBS does not charge any fees or extra charges for this service.

As a Canadian citizen "visiting"  the U.S it is possible to bring back into Canada a certain amount of duty free items that vary 24 hours ( a day) and longer periods with differing amounts per length of stay and type of item.. I am not sure if this applies to all personal items "shipped or mailed" but I am sure there is a certain amount per day,week,month or annually that a Canadian citizen is allowed by the CBS and CRA.

The CBS and CRA are interested in essentially two types of shipments LVS (low value shipments) and HVS (high value shipments) and could contain anything from a vintage stamp to planes trains and automobiles. I believe the cut off between LVS and HVS was $100-$200 and has probably changed since I cleared freight.

What Ebay/Pitney Bowes ( the hubs in Kentucky ( for Ontario) ) etc are doing  is essentially preparing an "Entry" for our items very similar to what  U.P.S and Fed-ex and any freight forwarder or shipping company would do with similar items. It is a more formal but not always necessary method of.documenting importation of the types of goods mentioned. 

So one thing in which I think part of the main argument of Canadians importing from the U.S and other nations is that posted (U.S.P.S and Canada post etc) L.V.S shipments which are usually and continue to remain seldomly taxed are having "Fees" added to them in spite of their status. 

So Similar to U.P.S (United Parcel Service ) most often (u.p.s does a formal "entry" for almost everything) and anyone that has U.P.S often enough know there is still a cost associated with preparing an entry for goods that are not taxable. It costs something to tell you there are no charges, absolutely ridiculous but never the less true. I would assume the majority of entries maybe as high as 89-90% of all GPS items coming from the U.S to Canada fit this profile of an LVS un or non taxable item.

Ebay is a publicly traded corporation and must generate profits for it's shareholders. If you were a share holder you would want Ebay to make money, also the management teams and executives possibly gets bonuses based on how their ideas have affected the bottom line. Also something that you would want as an employee or shareholder. There could also be savings for Ebay and Paypal from a disputed item, or insurance premiums could and may also be reduced from a much more certain informed chain of delivery.

So, what are the numbers ? Where would we find them ? maybe someone can help or we can work in a team getting as much public information as possible. Has this made Ebay and Paypal more profitable and or saved the companies money ? How much revenue and costs are associated with the program and where does "Pitney Bowes " fit in. Is it a separate arm of "Pitney Bowes" what is Ebay and Paypal"s cut and how is it contracted ? What has been the affect on "disputed items" and what kind of savings was available.

Also what has been the affect of the system and has it stemmed a flow of goods that Ebay and Paypal would have made some money from but now make nothing because the GPS has priced it beyond what is reasonable and therefore the transaction will never be made. Essentially what was the flow of goods from Ebay sellers to Canada from the U.S to Canada pre and post GSP.

I think with at least those series of numbers in front of us we could make a much more informed and suitable decision, on if it is fair, feasible or necessary to have it imposed on us as buyers or sellers in Canada, and how GSP has affected the flow of goods from Ebay sellers around the world.

Any current links would be greatly appreciated..........I think as a group of concerned buyers and sellers from Canada despite our size and distance from each other could make a better argument  to have GSP removed or modified with a few good facts. Cheers and happy buying and selling to all.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Most of your questions are irrelevant.

This has nothing to do with Canada or Canada Customs.

The Global Shipping Program was set up for SELLER PROTECTION.

Shipments destined for Canada go to Kentucky as part of PitneyBowes' hub and spoke distribution system.

The program is popular with US sellers because it allows them to sell internationally, while being responsible only for domestic shipping.

It is popular enough with sellers that it has been extended to UK sellers, another group that has historically been unwilling to ship internationally (even to the EU).

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

use it when it makes sense and don't when it doesn't? thanks tips.

GSP is  a revnue generator for EBAY and makes it slightly easier for EBAY sellers, but significantly more expensive for buyers. It is never less expensive for the buyer, even compared to the quasi criminal brokerage charges of Fed ex and UPS. As a Canadian all i can ask is, avoid it like the plague as a buyer, and as a shipper, well try to avoid it as well but i understand why you don't.

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

While it is probable that eBay makes money because with the GSP protections,  the US and UK sellers are willing to ship overseas, there is no reason to believe that eBay makes any direct fees from GSP.

It is equally likely that eBay pays PitneyBowes to run the program for them, just as overseas buyers pay US-based freight forwarders to wrangle their dotCOM purchases through customs and overseas delivery.

t is never less expensive for the buyer, even compared to the quasi criminal brokerage charges of Fed ex and UPS.

The usual service charge from the GSP is ~$5 US.

The charges from UPS start around $25 and rise with the value of the item.

The duty and sales taxes charged by CBSA should be the same for any properly described item, no matter who the carrier is.

as a shipper, well try to avoid it as well

Umm. Canadian sellers do not have access to using the GSP. It is only available to sellers in the USA and the UK.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 20
latest reply