Double Refund Question

I recently opened a dispute with a seller about an item that was never delivered. He ended up giving me a refund however he sent it to the wrong email address. I informed him of this and he then used my correct email. He then later contacted me stating that the previous refund had been claimed and is now under the impression that I have received two refunds. He says the first email is my email purchase record.  I don't know how that is possible as I have never seen this email before and I only have one paypal account and it shows only one refund. The name associated with it, which he sent me, is also clearly not my name. He now wants me to get this person to give him the money back though don't see how this is my problem. I would like to contact eBay customer support however it seems there is no easy way to do this. Any thoughts? I don't want this guy to put a bad rating on my account.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Double Refund Question

"I don't want this guy to put a bad rating on my account."

Do not worry about that.  Sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers.

The seller made a mistake in the refund and he should fix it.  That is not your problem. 

Let him contact PayPal and explain the problem.  Maybe they can help him.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Double Refund Question

"I don't want this guy to put a bad rating on my account."

Do not worry about that.  Sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers.

The seller made a mistake in the refund and he should fix it.  That is not your problem. 

Let him contact PayPal and explain the problem.  Maybe they can help him.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Double Refund Question

Good to know, thanks

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Double Refund Question

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess your seller had more than one of the same item, or sold more than one thing on the same day, and flat-out refunded the wrong guy before you brought this to his attention.

It is totally not your problem that he did this.

Bummer for him but I guess he'll be more careful next time. If you already have your money back, you are not obligated to respond to any more emails from the seller. If they become a nuisance, this can be reported.

On the outside chance he does leave you some sketchy feedback -- it has to be positive but some members attempt to skirt those rules by saying nasty things next to a positive feedback rating -- you call Ebay and it will be removed, and he'll get into trouble for trying that trick.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Double Refund Question

I will also mention that the seller may not be totally off his rocker.

There was a brief but serious problem a few months ago where, for a very short period of time, there was a pile of glitch reports that buyers' names and addresses got mixed up in Sales Records but if that is the case here, the seller needs to talk to ebay about it, not you.

It's still not your problem, so don't worry about it. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply