Fake Superman Coins

Buyers beware that there are some fake superman coins being sold on ebay. If the coin you are buying doesn't come with the box or authenticity from the RCM maybe its not the real deal. Some people describe the coins they are selling as silver plated and these are clearly replicas. Even though ebay rules restrict replicas of coins, they do not follow through with this rule. So buyer beware.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Fake Superman Coins

Superman again?

Did we not have a thread a few weeks ago on the same subject?

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/fake-superman-coins/m-p/245150/highlight/true#M18003

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Fake Superman Coins

Yes, I replied to a fake superman thread just prior to Canada day. The Royal Canadian mint coins come with a certificate of authocincty, sorry can't spell today. The come in a square clear plastic cube. It's upsetting seeing these clad fakes from ali express all over the coin section of eBay . Especially when people are paying $85-$200 for these $2 coins. These coins are made by the Chinese and are sold in volume for $2 each. I had posted a very detailed and lengthy explanation regarding these clad coins. I hope this warning helps someone.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Fake Superman Coins

Yes I did but it was edited , and the thread didn't make any sense once it was edited by the moderator.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Fake Superman Coins

This is a very serious problem! New coin collectors are being taken advantage of, and eBay dismantled its coin watch program in may. Now the problem is worse than ever. I personally find it hard to watch. I'm also burned out from reporting listings, just to see sellers adding more listings a few days later. It will destroy the coin collecting hobby for beginners!!
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Fake Superman Coins

I have also seen 1986 two dollar bills with a polar bear stamp on them and the person selling these said they were a commemorative edition. Whats funny is in my Charlton catalogue it even mentions this and that these bills have no increase in value because someone has just stamped them to fool people into thinking they are getting a rare bill.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Fake Superman Coins

kris24k
Community Member

Thanks for the heads-up I did not see the other posts about this.  This is why it is good to check out the community boards once-in-a-while.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Fake Superman Coins

items not allowed

Replica coins

Replica, plated, or clad bullion

Replica Canadian banknotes, including novelty and training notes, unless the seller displays written permission from the Bank of Canada

Counterfeit coins

Counterfeit bank notes

Counterfeit bonds

Counterfeit money orders

Counterfeit securities

Equipment used to make counterfeit items

Reproduction or replica versions of any Canadian currency

Policy overview

To help ensure buyer confidence in the stamps, currency, and coins listed on eBay, we've established a set of guidelines for our sellers to follow. These guidelines cover what can and can't be sold on eBay, and the requirements for certain listings.

Most countries, including Canada, strictly prohibit the sale of counterfeit currency and stamps as well as equipment designed to make them. These types of items can't be listed on eBay.

We allow listings for replica stamps and non-Canadian paper money as long as you follow the policy guidelines.

Replica coins aren't allowed. All other stamps, coins, and paper money must be accurately described.

Replica, plated, or clad bullion isn't allowed.

These are ebays guidelines and yet I reported a seller using the report an item section on june 23rd 2014 and then I reported this same seller to ebay via phone at 8 o'clock in the morning of july 8th 2014. The seller I reported is still selling replica superman coins and has made a substantial amount of money. This seller has been selling replicas, presumably from alli express where you can buy the whole set of superman coins for 20 dollars with free shipping. Even alli express calls these replicas in their description, so by ebay guidelines selling these isn't allowed. Why then after reporting this to ebay is ebay allowing the seller I reported to continue?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Fake Superman Coins

Why then after reporting this to ebay is ebay allowing the seller I reported to continue?

If a company who owns the rights to an item reports to ebay that the item is counterfeit, ebay will take the listing down as that company should know their own product. But ebay has millions of items so it is impossible for them to know if each item is authentic and it would be impossible for them to investigate each time another ebay member reported an item as counterfeit. They have no way of knowing if that ebay member is an expert, a good samaritan or someone who is a competitor or just doesn't like the item's seller.

In some categories they did or at least used to have members who were considered experts. If those members made a report, the item would usually get taken off.

So the best way to get an item taken down is to report  the listings to the right's holder. If you contact the RCM and let them know about the listings, they may contact ebay and ask them to take the listings down.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Fake Superman Coins

I understand what you are saying, except when I talked to a representative on the phone I explained in detail why I thought the item was a replica : it was a 50 cent superman limited addition coin, the coin from the mint is cupronickel  and is a lenticular coin. I explained to the representative that this seller was selling a limited edition 50 cent superman coin without the box. Also I mentioned that I had messaged the seller about the fact that if you tilt the coin you will see 2 images, one modern and the other an image of the older superman in costume. The seller responded to me that they only saw one image. Also isn't it strange that this seller is also selling the gold coin, but in that listing they actually say they assume its gold plated. Also they are selling the superman coin that displays the S symbol and this coin doesn't have the beaded design around the edge of the coin. This coin is also being sold as limited edition.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Fake Superman Coins

I also have seen a 1967 one dollar bill with a gold flag stamp on it going for a lot of money. Yet in any catalogue there is no mention of this.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Fake Superman Coins

I'm happy to report that the person trying to sell the 1967 dollar bill with a gold flag stamp on it didn't sell even though the seller reposted at least 4 times for at least 50 dollars.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Fake Superman Coins

They are still selling these replica coins on eBay, I almost fell victim but was outbid while reading further into the issue. I have several authentic RCM Superman coins and should have clued in right away. Buyers beware, you can easily buy these replia sets online much cheaper if replicas are your thing.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply