GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

Hi

do any of you know if there is a way to screen out USA sellers that use that darn GSP ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

Yeah you are right. Thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

Yes, there are two:

1. One is to limit your search to Canada Only at left.

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 6.46.03 PM.png

2. The other is to Search using List View and ignore all listings with this:

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 6.49.03 PM.png

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

The 'customs' warning only appears on desktop/laptop views.

Even there it only appears when using List Search, not Gallery Search.

Almost like eBay didn't want buyers to see it......

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

Well..... it's a good program for sellers in the USA and for buyers in many parts of the world. Just not Canadians, most often than not. 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

Oh, and also for sellers in the UK. 

But, you're right, if a buyer is shopping on their mobile device, the GSP is much, much more difficult to quickly screen. 

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

Yes there are a lot of countries US/UK sellers would never ship to without the Seller Protections of the GSP.

Brazil, Israel and Italy as well as much of Africa, are on my No Ship list, for example.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

I just wish I wouldn't even see items that use it. Just ticking Canada only limits even the USA sellers that use other shipping than GSP. I usually just buy small things, vintage costume jewelry etc, beading supplies that through the regular post never get dinged at customs.
That shipping program is just another money making business for eBay, Whitney Bowes? Whoever.
I understand the seller gets peace of mind it's just a pain for me. Lol
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

By law, anything valued at more than $20 CAD de minimus is taxable on import by mail. There are exceptions to that rule where the de minimus is zero dollars but if you don't get taxed, consider yourself lucky. All carriers charge a handling fee to collect it as well. Comparatively speaking, the GPS handling fee is least of all options. But if you want to avoid those GSP listings, simply ignore the ones I cited in Example 2. eBay will never introduce a filter that lets buyers screen their own program, it would defeat its purpose.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

Yeah you are right. Thanks!
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

Oh my god yes.. the reason i joined the community pages... GSP is garbage... **bleep**? I have been burned twice... only neg. ebay experiences ever.

1. I bought from a seller who didn't know what global shipping was.... i paid and she claimed i was a scammer... and the $ that showed up in her paypal wasn't enough to ship to canada and it wasn't the agreed upon rate. She also tried to manually ship the package just to the global shipping center zip code even tho I don't have a zip code at all but a postal code.  Big mess... it took a long time to straiten out... she wouldn't believe a word i said thought i was a scammer... even tho i was telling her to contact ebay.

2. I added 3 items to my cart from the same seller (who used the GSP). At checkout I clicked the request for combine shipping quote button.... then an ebay error code comes up. I am then stuck with these 3 items in my cart. I ask seller to bypass GSP, they say no. I cant del them out of my cart, it says i aggred to purchase....and tells me to pay asap. Now I have an unpaid claim opened against me. Luckly this seller is letting me out of the sale. but some might not.

I say F GSP, no combined deals, rip off prices, buyer pays more, less sales, its all bad. Nother way to be gouged.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

its 100$ here in canada to us... global shipping program is a scam. if you fill out your paperwork properly online or at the post office and get tracking you dont need it.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

@jcurrie78wrote:

its 100$ here in canada to us... 

No.  The tax/duty-free limit for most personal imports sent by mail is C$20, as @momcqueen correctly stated months ago.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dtytx-drttx-eng.html

@jcurrie78wrote:

global shipping program is a scam. 

It's not an economical way to ship lightweight, modestly-valued items, and it can be difficult to combine shipping with it, but it doesn't make it a scam.

I recently paid less than US$13.00 to have a cell phone shipped to me, was charged just GST on the phone and a small handling fee of less than US$4.00.  I can't think of any other shipping method that would charge me so little on a purchase like that.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

@jcurrie78wrote:

its 100$ here in canada to us... global shipping program is a scam. if you fill out your paperwork properly online or at the post office and get tracking you dont need it.

The duty free limit for imports by MAIL into Canada is $20

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

theres no way getting around gst... us canadians know this... gst on a used phone... kinda bs if you ask me. But gst on the shipping cost is fine. yes I just learned the 20$ import cutoff... i was commenting on an export... not import to canada... ive never had to do that. And if you live in the states and wanna cell phone... i could send it to you for about 8$-16$ max. Plus your case is one in a million... wanna hear mine... i just paid 26$ us funds (30+ dollars) to ship 2 items from the same seller that totaled 13$ and could of fit in a large size envelope no thicker then an inch. I can ship that for well under 10$. Yes GSP is a scam because they are taking money out of your pocket.... wayyy to much money, and trying to pass it off as a good thing... if thats not a definition of a scam I dont know what is? Case closed

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

“its 100$ here in canada to us... global shipping program is a scam. if you fill out your paperwork properly online or at the post office and get tracking you dont need it.”

Are you speaking of exporting to the USA from Canada? If so, allow me to clarify that Canadian sellers DO NOT have access to use the GSP and that the de minimus for Americans is much higher than $100 USD.

If you’re still talking about the de minimus for Canadians importing by mail, no, it’s not $100 CAD. It’s $20 tax-free on most but not all categories of items. Canadians pay sales tax too and not merely duty.
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

@jcurrie78wrote:

theres no way getting around gst... us canadians know this... gst on a used phone... kinda bs if you ask me. But gst on the shipping cost is fine.

GST applies to used goods as well as new ones.  Check your receipt the next time you purchase toys or kitchen appliances from Value Village.   If that bothers you, take it up with your MP.

@jcurrie78wrote:

i was commenting on an export... not import to canada... ive never had to do that.

As already suggested, the duty-free limit for imports by mail to the US is much higher than US$100.  What many Americans don't realize, however, is that in some 40-odd states, purchases from out of state are subject to use tax, which generally amounts to the equivalent of state sales tax on their purchases by mail.  The hitch is that collecting the tax is up to the state, not the feds, and the mechanisms for collecting use tax tend to run on the weak side.

@jcurrie78wrote:

Plus your case is one in a million... wanna hear mine... i just paid 26$ us funds (30+ dollars) to ship 2 items from the same seller that totaled 13$ and could of fit in a large size envelope no thicker then an inch. I can ship that for well under 10$. Yes GSP is a scam because they are taking money out of your pocket.... wayyy to much money, and trying to pass it off as a good thing... if thats not a definition of a scam I dont know what is? Case closed

If the seller sets up their listing awkwardly or doesn't provide enough information on the nature of the item or its shipping size, etc. more often than not the GSP bot is going to overcharge buyers using the service.  Garbage in, garbage out.  The terms and conditions buyers agree to when purchasing items forwarded through the GSP also state that combining purchases generally isn't possible.

Sending a five-dollar postcard as an Xpresspost parcel is going to be an expensive proposition, too, but we don't generally call Xpresspost parcel a scam.  It's simply an inappropriate shipping method.  The GSP isn't generally appropriate for most of the types of purchases most Canadians make on eBay.  Case closed.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

. i was commenting on an export... not import to canada... ive never had to do that.

US residents can import up to $800USD duty free.

And there is no federal sales tax. State and city (!) sales taxes would not be applicable on imports.

Most of the 'import fees' are actually sales taxes. GST/PST/HST are up to 15% of the value (including purchase price and shipping cost).

And the actual GSP service fee is ~$5USD.

Postal rates from the USA with international tracking are not cheap.

https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

While the Priority Post rates are easiest to find, and are the go-to for most sellers, there cheapest rate is found by following the Size and Shape icon and scrolling to the bottom of the linked page.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

GPS is cause of delayed delivery and it cost you more for stupid import charged. it doesn't help for buyer, they just touching and repacking item then send it to currier company. same thing still different currier will deliver the item. if they don't trust some currier company, why they don't deliver those item by their on shipping company to the buyer address?
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM?

Hi everyone - 

Because of the length of time that has gone since this thread began I have locked it from further replies. 

If this is still a topic that warrants further discussion please don't hesitate to start a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 19 of 19
latest reply