Having a replacement items ship to you

Hello,

I bought a fragile item but it came damaged. The seller agreed to ship another one but

what if the replacement is damaged again in shipping?

Will it be covered by paypal? I'm trying to decide if I should just go for a refund or have a replacement shipped. It is a laptop monitor for me info

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@jvcbuyer32 wrote:

Hello,

I bought a fragile item but it came damaged. The seller agreed to ship another one but

what if the replacement is damaged again in shipping?

Will it be covered by paypal? I'm trying to decide if I should just go for a refund or have a replacement shipped. It is a laptop monitor for me info

Your eBay Money Back guarantee is 30 days and will run out while you wait.

The PayPal guarantee is 180 days but will require you to pay for return shipping on the item.

Your best option is not to wait and just file Significantly not as described under eBay 30 day guarantee and not wait. You have no proof the seller sent you a replacement and sellers often lie that they are sending a replacement so time will run out.

Did you open a case yet? Or did you contact the seller?

PS If the item is from China, the sellers use the replacement story often and do not send replacements.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

PS If the item is from China, the sellers use the replacement story often and do not send replacements.

Unfortunately this is all too true.

When you contact the seller with your decision, could you include photos of where the damage occurred and discuss how packaging could be improved?

Remember that any parcel is likely in transit to fall two feet from one conveyor belt to another and could have a parcel weighing 50 lbs drop on top of it. A useful thing to know when packing.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The best thing would be for the seller to refund you in full, then if you wish to do business with him/her again, you can buy another.  That way you are covered by eBay and PayPal.  Before buying again, ensure that the seller will package more carefully.  I would not agree to a replacement.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I went to the refund request

I contacted the seller and they said I could replace or get a full refund

I told the seller I wanted a full refund.

What should I do next?

also, the item is from America

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

What should I do next?

The seller has a choice of refunding you without getting the item back or require you to return the item before you get a refund.

The seller is supposed to pay for return shipping but since they are in another country they can not buy a Canada Post label.

If they want you to send it back, you should go to the Canada Post site and enter the dimensions and weight so that you will know what postage will cost to send it back. (that information might be on the USPS shipping label) Then let the seller know what the amount is so that they can send you the money before you purchase the postage. If you trust the seller and they tell you that they will reimburse for postage once they get the item back then you can do it that way but if they then refuse to pay for the shipping, you will be out that money.

CP site    https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Also, you need to send it back with delivery confirmation - make sure you choose the correct shipping option.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Okay,

How do I do delivery confirmation? Is that with tracking?

I replied to the seller I want a full refund and they haven't replied

I want to ship the item tomorrow.

What can I ensure that I will get my money back?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

If you haven't already done so you need to file a return request using the 'item is damaged' or something similar as the reason.  The seller should either tell you to return the monitor for a refund or refund you and not require a return. If it the first option, they are responsible for return shipping.  If the seller is in the U.S. you would send it back using Canada Post expedited parcel USA which does have tracking/delivery confirmation but the seller should pay for the shipping, not you. 

If the seller tells you to return it let them know what the shipping cost will be. Don't just go ahead and ship the item out on your own. You could end up being out that money.  If the seller refuses to send you the money for return shipping, you can ask ebay to 'step in' after about 6 days or so.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

How do I do delivery confirmation? Is that with tracking?

They tend to be used interchangeably, but tracking is noted at every single stop along the way, while Delivery Confirmation is only noted when it is dropped at the PO (usually) when it crosses a border (usually) and when the carrier has delivered it (certainly).

Paypal and eBay only require Confirmation of Delivery.

Most Canada Post parcel services include either tracking or Delivery Confirmation. But it is not optional, it's either included or not.

The only service you can add tracking to is Registration, but for some reason that is not considered adequate by Paypal or eBay as proof of delivery.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply