Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

How can we get ebay sellers to opt out of this GSP.

Kavin, I am glad your are asking... I had not purchased items on ebay.ca for a couple of months because my project was complete and a vendor that I had purchased many items from allowed me to go through USPS (reducing costs for importing); moving forward and not really realizing the impact it would have on my purchases, I had completed some purchases with sites utlilizing the Global Shipping Program. Now that the reality of the Global Shipping Program has impacted my purchases financially, I will say I am doing my due diligence to seek out sellers that do not enlist the Global Shipping Program. From my past purchases I could see transaction going through "PAYPAL *PITNEYBOWES , NE" (NE - New England? - certianlly not New Brunswick) which to me leads me to believe that the fees are being held back from whoever should be gathering the proceeds (Canadian Government) as they are the ones imposing the fees under NAFTA. But I could be wrong. When I declare items at the border and pay duties, I am given a detailed description of the breakdown of costs associated to HST and Brokeage Fees, Global Shipping Program - Nothing! •What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program? - nothing, I am now spending/wasting more time looking for specific items •Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers? - Get rid of it, I will now only search Canadian items first and US 2nd, its usually a US item I want, but will now figure a different way around/approach to purchasing. •What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program? After seeing the billing come through and not imposed in Canada, its just a money grab on Ebay and PAYPAL's behalf. No supporting documents to believe its imposed by NAFTA. •How have you managed to search for items outside the program? Heavily involved now on actual vendors sites or Kijiji. All I can say is that Ebay is slowly (being polite) removing the "fun" in the purchasing experience as it is being destroyed by its own being. You can see it in the Shipping Prices as well, people are forced to increase thier true shipping costs and Ebay takes a percentage of that as well. Thats not a profit centre, its a cost to deliver the product to the customer. Its tough to really estimate what shipping costs are or will be in a listing and its for that reason, I dont list as much as i used to! Anyways, always could count on Ebay to find me what I wanted at great price, not so much any more. 2941steveb
Message 3821 of 6,171
latest reply

NE = Nebraska

Message 3822 of 6,171
latest reply

tracking showed delivered on 9/18 but nothing arrived at my doorsteps

Have you visited your local PO and asked if there is a package waiting for you? Sometimes the delivery slip is overlooked or blows away (or the postie doesn't leave it).

Message 3823 of 6,171
latest reply

Agree %100 - Canadian here.. and, paying these "fees" ontop of rising costs for shipping and everything else is outrageous!

any seller that uses this system has lost my buisness .

Message 3824 of 6,171
latest reply

I am like many others whose comments I read,I  just refuse to bid on auctions (or even look any farther) after I see it bears the GSP logo.  

I find it somewhat hypocritical for eBay to issue a policy that prohibits sellers from adding outrageous shipping costs; and they implement the GSP program which does exactly that. I feel badly for the sellers forced to use it.

If you are a seller using GSP  and you get an international order - you have sold your product at a significantly lower price than your competitors to receive the order.

For my part; I will pay up to a 20% premium to a buyer that does not use GSP. I would prefer to pay a seller (without GSP) a higher price, in lieu of a lower price from a seller that utilizes GSP to fill eBay pockets. I might be paying a higher price for some (very few) items but the money is going to an individual seller rather than the GSP program.

Before I purchase from a GSP user; I always check the internet (Amazon, DHGate etc.) and can generally purchase the item I seek at much lower prices through them. If the only source for the product I want is a GSP seller; I do 1 final product assessment. "Do I need this item or just want it". If the answer is "I need it" I will buy from a vendor using GSP - there has been only 1 time that I recall paying GSP in the 10+ years I've been an eBayer.

I don't expect that boycotting this service will be of any use as there's no downside for eBay. The buyer will buy from a non GSP seller and eBay makes their regular mark-up or they buy from the GSP seller and eBay makes a killing. The only downside to eBay is if the buyer goes to (Amazon etc.) another source to obtain the product.

I'll never use the GSP to ship my product and I'll continue to use vendors that do; only as a last resort. 

Message 3825 of 6,171
latest reply

All I have to say is the global shipping program is the biggest scam going and ebay shoud be ashamed for introducing it. I now have limited my buying, which will hurt ebay revenues as I am not the only one that think this is **bleep**. Nothing like creating an uneven playing field for global commerce and favoring only those buyers in the USA. If Ebay does not want global buyers they should just limit themselves to the US only. How is it fair that an american purchaser pays $5 for shipping and my shipping to Canada is $33 and most of that $33 goes to the Global Shipping program and not the US postal service. I can ship that same $33 shipping item back to the US with tracking for $15, so why is it $18 higher to ship to Canada? Thpeople making decisions at ebay should all be fired, as they know nothing about making customers happy and have not made a correct decision in the last couple of years and that will reflect on the bottom line. Nothing like shooting youself on the foot, continuosly!!

Message 3826 of 6,171
latest reply

Unfortunately, there is nothing constructive to be said about this program. It simply stinks! Rarely mentioned in the host of examples of the GSP's despicability, is the fact that Paypal uses the program to steal money from its members, one cent at a time! The actual amount deducted from my bank account is often one cent more than the Paypal invoice at checkout, a very annoying and deceitful practice. This occurs when the single payment at checkout  later appears as 2 payments in my Paypal account, usually one cent more than the original single total.                                                                                                                                                                            Another rarely mentioned example of the deceitfulness of this program, is that many US sellers using the program have no idea they are using it, or how their listings appear to Canadian buyers, as the extra shipping and custom fees are not shown or known to them, and therefore not realizing they are alienating Canadian buyers, losing out on potential bids, and higher selling prices for their items. It is truly astounding that the bean counters at Ebay/Paypal, known for their astounding ability to squeeze every cent they can from a transaction, do not realize that they are missing out on massive amounts in fees, from the potentially lost bids of thousands of Canadian (and International) buyers.

Message 3827 of 6,171
latest reply

As a buyer in Canada, I skip listings I would buy that use the Global Shipping program and that don't ship USPS. Canada and the US have a FAIR TRADE agreement. We also don't pay tax or duty on USED items. This is a money grab by the courier companies. I urge you to ship USPS at a fair rate. I have bought a lot off ebay, and have never paid duty on clothing shipped via USPS. Who wants to buy a $30. item and pay $30 to have it shipped? Not me, and I bet not a lot of Canadians. I am sorry that ebay is making itself unusable outside of the USA.

Message 3828 of 6,171
latest reply

Most Canadian buyers agree with you that GSP (Global Shipping Program) is detrimental in most instances for most Canadians.

"We also don't pay tax or duty on USED items. "

However, this is a misconception.  Canadian taxes apply whether an item is new or used.  The official government of Canada website:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

When you go to a car dealer in Canada to buy a car, GST/HST will be charged whether the car is new or used.  When you go to Value Village, you pay GST/HST on used clothing.

Message 3829 of 6,171
latest reply

I have bought a lot of items on ebay but will never buy from a seller who uses GSP. I bought an item and it was cancelled after i paid .. I have now been waiting 5 weeks to get my money from GSP. I was told by one seller that they dont see the outrageous shipping rates we are being charged. As a seller please rethink using GSP.

Also, i have ordered over 300 items and never been charged duty or customs .. I was told that we dont pay duty on used or vintage. Of course we pay gst when we buy IN. Canada .. But not on shipped items coming from other countries that are not new.
Message 3830 of 6,171
latest reply

" I was told that we dont pay duty on used or vintage"

Unfortunately, whoever gave you that information was not aware of the Canadian laws as they exist.

As stated earlier Canadian consumption taxes (GST/HST) are payable on items whether new or used.

Please do not take my word for it.  Call the tax department and ask.  Better still go to stores selling used goods and tell them they should not be charging you tax.  See what they have to say.

Message 3831 of 6,171
latest reply

Dear members:

As a Canadian buyer I quickly learned that the GSP had no advantage to me. A total rip-off !!!

To a USA seller, it may induce him to ship internationally without any knowledge of the myriad of rules & regulations.

In fact, it had the opposite effect and made me pay much more for shipping than I ever had to.

Here is my solution: send an email to the seller and explain to them the disadvantages of GSP to a Canadian.

Ask them that now, knowing how it affect me as a Canadian buyer, if they are willing to ship to me via USPS as per normal.

Many of them will ship without using GSP and so I make the purchase. If not, I just click on to the next seller.

Easy as pie and you will be surprised at just how many sellers will work with you.

Many sellers tell me that ebay automatically inserts GSP onto their listings without their knowledge as well.

Once they see how this is done they are careful NOT to let this happen to them again!

In conclusion you have nothing to lose by asking if they will ship to you without the GSP.

I hope this information helps Canadian buyers!

Flyboyac in the beautiful city of Ottawa in Canada.

Message 3832 of 6,171
latest reply

I agree Canada, speak with your hard earned dollars.  GSP is legalized crime IF you are not american

Message 3833 of 6,171
latest reply

I will NOT even look at an item that is shipped via the GSP. PERIOD!
Message 3834 of 6,171
latest reply

I have been looking at a few items on eBay this past week, and have decided not to order them. The GSP is ridiculous. On a $54.99 item the extra GSP levy is $23.70, which is about 43% of the purchase price, PLUS $9.91 shipping, which brings us up to a grand 61% extra just to ship the item!!!! The $9.91 I have no problem with as it its in line with shipping costs for the weight of the item, but I will not be doing business with this seller simply because of the extortionate GSP costs.

eBay must be trying to lose business for it's sellers. It is the only logical explanation. I will buy my item elsewhere. eBay used to be a place to find those special or rare items, but it just isn't worth it with the GSP.

Message 3835 of 6,171
latest reply

Recently I was looking for some John Wayne DVDs of some very hard to find titles. The one seller who did have some had a reasonable prices for the 8 I was interested in but was registered with the GSP. I contacted the seller and asked if they were willing to sell them without the GSP and I explained why and how many movies I wanted. Their answer to that was a suggestion to just do a pay pal transaction outside of eBay for the items I wanted and then asked for my e-mail address to send me a PayPal invoice. The Seller might have thought they were doing me a favor  by conducting the transaction that way but I felt that doing it that way took away all the protection eBay gives the buyer and seller especially for items that it turned out were copied from a VHS tape so I don't even know if it was legal for them to be selling them to start with. 

Regardless, I agree that all we can do is ask if the seller will they will sell without using the GSP but no matter what don't make a purchase outside of eBay just to get that hard to find item.

Message 3836 of 6,171
latest reply

Paypal has basically the same buyer protection plan as ebay.

Message 3837 of 6,171
latest reply

I will now only purchase what I consider dollar items from ebay. I can't even be bothered to waste my time trying to find non GSP sellers anymore for the larger items and quite frankly now that you guys kind of forced me to look elsewhere I find Amazon stepping up to the plate...especially with Blu Rays.....free shipping at a mere $25 bucks and I have my stuff within a week.

I should actually thank you for forcing me to get enlightened by Amazon! They are great to purchase from.

I have gone from spending thousands a year on ebay items to maybe a hundred or 2....Does that tell you anything?

I seen items travel an extra 600 miles and take weeks longer to deliver as it moves to a GSP center, hangs out for a while, and then finally makes its way back out....and 2 weeks later passes the place it started at. I don't think so...not anymore.

Do the math Kalvin...I have a feedback score of over 1000 in 11 years as a member....SINCE the beginning of this year I have made 48 purchases from Amazon.....do you see a change in the trend? Plus 2 on the way.....AMAZON ROCKS!!!

I really truly used to love looking for deals on ebay but now it's just a headache trying to find a seller that's competitive and not part of the GSP.....that's not a conern on Amazon.... 

Message 3838 of 6,171
latest reply

#1 What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?

#2 Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?

#3 What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?

#4 How have you managed to search for items outside the program

Wow, this program is terrible. I have been a member since 2000 and I rarely even look at the site anymore because of the outrageous shipping fees. In response to some of the above questions...

#1 Not a thing, I will not purchase anything through the GSP - as soon as I see it listed in the add I'm gone!

#2 Eliminate this program! As numerous posters have indicated most small items (virtually anything that can be shipped USPS) makes it through the border without being charged duty, and if it requires it then I will pay the amount that is required by my customs office. Not the arbitrary,exorbitant fees that are being charged now. I have purchased many times and have never had customs add any charges.

#3 Outrageous extra fees! Frequently the cost of shipping an item, new or used exceeds the cost of said item. Somebody is lining their pockets.

#4 Leave ebay and look elsewhere. Amazon etc,

I really liked ebay and have bought quite a few items in the past. But this gouging Canadian customers has to stop! Rarely purchase anything now, and will never purchase anything from any seller that uses this program.

Message 3839 of 6,171
latest reply

Hi there I am a buyer and seller on ebay. I am also Canadian. 
I buy a lot of items from the US.. but am finding it harder these days to find a seller who sells outside the Global Shipping Program.

The GSP is supposed to remove any chances of being charged extra at the border. As a Canadian we only ever get charged duty on items over $40. With this program a $15 item is being charged an extra $12 and change!!! Why is this? I have called ebay so many times and asked sellers to opt out of the program. How can this be legal? Its fraud in my opinion. Please if you share my opinion, lets try and make away with this program. Sellers would receive many more bids from Candians and people from other countries if they did so. After all isnt that why we purchase from ebay.. to pay less for quality items?? now we are paying the same price for used as we would for new from a store.

Thanks  

Message 3840 of 6,171
latest reply