How do i decide if a seller can be trusted? I purchased/won two cell phones and two tf cards from a

I purchased/won two cell phones and two tf cards from a seller with 96.3% rating and 26852 sales, had been a member since 2009 and now they're deregistered for bad practices( ripping people off)  I had a tracking number which turned out to be a 10 cent sd card adapter.  If the date and ratings have no meaning, how do i decide who to trust????

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

How do i decide if a seller can be trusted? I purchased/won two cell phones and two tf cards from a

FWIW, 96% is a pee-poor feedback record.

Even 98% is marginal.

For your question.

If a seller's feedback is marginal, or has a lot of negs and neutrals*, READ the negs. Just click on the number and all those comments will appear.

You may see a pattern of poor performance, or you may see a single crazy buyer on a mission from God.

Look at the Detailed Seller Ratings. A DSR below 4.3 gets a seller restricted or even bounced. These numbers are left anonymously, which could be a good thing or a bad thing.

For your immediate problem, go to Customer Support> Resolution Centre and File an Item Not As Described dispute. Escalate as soon as possible, stating that the seller is Not A Registered User. You will be refunded by Paypal.

*A seller who is very active may have hundreds of negs but still maintain a 99% or better FB percentage. That's how percentages work.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I am running into more and more problems with sellers who I have never dealt with before (mostly cds). One of them has perfect feedback too. Selling scratched cds and calling them "like new" or "very good" neither of which they should be able to use. I am getting more and more frustrated with the lack of accountability. Yet I have core sellers who sell me everything exactly as advertised. Despite the fact (as they are big volume sellers) they get lots of negatives. And then other times I take a chance on sellers with low feedback scores, and one I just had, he was a DREAM. He should have hundreds of positives.

And then I had one seller who swore at me in email. That was truly unbelievable. Who would even want to support people like that?

Selling is difficult I am sure but sellers who cannot be counted on should not be on here. I do not even complain about "how long things take" which it seems everyone on Ebay does. And I mean what can you do, email sellers and say "are your descriptions valid? or did you pad them to make items look better than they are?" and then the seller gets mad and blocks you.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

You would have some restitution if you file an Item Not As Described dispute

http://resolutioncentre.ebay.ca/

These cases are noted by eBay and PP, since they cost them money.

And of course you can leave appropriate feedback and DSRs.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the reply I will pay closer to attention to the feedback comments from now on.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply