I just have a bad feeling about this transaction.

I need your inputs on this seemingly all legit transaction that just smells funny.

I was looking for a tool ( a small clamping nut , looks like a big 2" nut, does not weigh more that 100 grams.) saw 4 for sale on ebay, all were priced almost the same ,around $22 but all were with GSP,but there was a one for sale on dot com said that he may not ship to canada.he has only 4 sales in the last three years,it's all good FBs(100% FB). 

I contacted the seller and he responded,he'll ship to Canada ,w/o any problem,  then he changed his listing to read : shipping to Canada $5 with USPS, I thought that seems a bit too low but wasn't too sure, so I made an offer $3 less than the asking price, he accepted,I paid, that was two days ago,

I was sure this seller would not possibly try to rip anyone for $15, I asked in my last email when is was going to ship it? he said :today. so later on yesterday I asked if he shipped? I got no response back, I got no confirmation notice either. it has been 48 hours.

So here I am, paid $24 , got no shipping confirmation ,got no response from the seller, now I'm thinking maybe he's just a rookie and underestimated the cost of shipping to Canada and doesn't know how to cancel the transaction or how to respond to me so he has decided to ignore me until the last day of estimated shipping is expired and let ebay cancel the transaction for him.

I know you are going to say it's way too early to pass judgment but as I mentioned everything seems legit  but sure smells funny,at least to me, so I'm wondering if you think I should give him a break, wait another 2 weeks and then file a claim or should I contact paypal now and see if they can cancel the transaction due to the fact he has not shipped or responded. what's your opinion?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

mcrlmn
Community Member

2 issues that would've also been foremost in mind, are where are the items coming from and tensile strength.

Sometimes it is too good to be true.

You can request a cancellation from the seller.

Failing that, all you can do is sit back and wait for delivery to access quality, etc.

If your items don't show or you are displeased, you can initiate an Item not received or not as described claim via eBay or PayPal as soon as the estimated delivery date has expired.

Do not accept  procrastination, posturing, or reshipment, or exchanges.

There is no need for ad nauseum messaging.

If you initiate a not as described return, seller pays registered return shipping; not you.

Hopefully this was all a wasted exercise, and all works out fine.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

The seller is in the US, the item in question will most likely be fie, my problem is, whether he's going to actually ship my order or just drag his feet until I file a claim.I'm not even sure if he has the item in his possession.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it very much.we'll see how it goes.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You can file an item not received claim on PP before the estimated delivery date but I would give him some time yet. It's possible the seller just forgot to mark the item as shipped. It's frustrating when sellers don't reply to messages but that doesn't seem to be too uncommon with casual sellers like that.

$9.50 is the least expensive way to send something as a package to Canada and there is only tracking if the label is purchased online. But if he can pass it off as a lettermail type package  (I don't know what their guidelines are like there) he could have shipped it without a tracking number.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

File a claim with PP is what I ended up doing, PP has given him 7 days to refund or ship the item. we'll see.
he never bothered to reply to any of my requests to talk/ fix any issue or cancel the order. I still think he's a newbie and most likely overwhelmed with all of this.I won't hold it against him.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I don't know if this has changed, but I recall being able to open an eBay case before the estimated arrival date if the item has not been marked shipped.

I had an issue like that a year ago when I bought 4 laptops for over $400, and got mixed replies from seller then nothing. Opened an eBay case and never heard a peep. Got a full refund.

It really depends. Casual seller or not, for his/her own protection they should communicate and mark items as shipped etc. Ball's in your court right now.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Update:

Soon after PP contacted the seller,the package was shipped and I already received my order in perfect condition.

I still feel the seller did not have any malicious intentions  and basically got a bit mixed up with international shipping  due to lack of experience, so I just gave him the benefit of the doubt and  gave a 5 star all the way positive feedback.

Thank you all again for your comments /inputs.

Ken.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply