I'm in Canada, seller in California. My parcel is now in Malaysia according to USPS. What do?

Like the title says, I'm in Canada, and I bought an item from a reputable seller in California.  Tracking on USPS now has it in Malaysian customs, for reasons unbeknownst to mere mortals such as me.  Should I panic now?  Or wait a week or so to see where my travelling parcel decides to visit next?  My address is confirmed on PayPal and everything; I've been buying since 2012 with only one parcel gone astray (and that from China).  Any thoughts or wisdom would be greatly appreciated; it's silly, but the item I bought is very special to me and I really, really don't want to lose it irrevocably.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I'm in Canada, seller in California. My parcel is now in Malaysia according to USPS. What do?

I wonder if you have been given the wrong tracking number.

If you haven't contacted the seller yet, then you should do so.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@sugar.lightning wrote:

Should I panic now?  Or wait a week or so to see where my travelling parcel decides to visit next?  My address is confirmed on PayPal and everything; I've been buying since 2012 with only one parcel gone astray (and that from China).  Any thoughts or wisdom would be greatly appreciated; it's silly, but the item I bought is very special to me and I really, really don't want to lose it irrevocably..

Your special item is probably on its way to you. When did you buy it and where in Canada are you? The USPS has been known to recycle tracking numbers, which sometimes results in packages seemingly doing some sightseeing in exotic places when they really are on their way to the buyer.

If I may offer a suggestion: stop babysitting your package. It won't make it move any faster and it's obviously making you nervous.  Hopefully your package will arrive shortly but if you haven't received it by the last estimated delivery date, open an Item Not Received case in order to get your money back. You can (and should) repay the seller if the item arrives after you have been refunded.

As a buyer of sometimes rare collectibles, I understand how you feel about a special item. Just remember this: the vast majority of packages arrive safely. Some just take longer than others.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I wonder if you have been given the wrong tracking number.

If you haven't contacted the seller yet, then you should do so.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@sugar.lightning wrote:

Should I panic now?  Or wait a week or so to see where my travelling parcel decides to visit next?  My address is confirmed on PayPal and everything; I've been buying since 2012 with only one parcel gone astray (and that from China).  Any thoughts or wisdom would be greatly appreciated; it's silly, but the item I bought is very special to me and I really, really don't want to lose it irrevocably..

Your special item is probably on its way to you. When did you buy it and where in Canada are you? The USPS has been known to recycle tracking numbers, which sometimes results in packages seemingly doing some sightseeing in exotic places when they really are on their way to the buyer.

If I may offer a suggestion: stop babysitting your package. It won't make it move any faster and it's obviously making you nervous.  Hopefully your package will arrive shortly but if you haven't received it by the last estimated delivery date, open an Item Not Received case in order to get your money back. You can (and should) repay the seller if the item arrives after you have been refunded.

As a buyer of sometimes rare collectibles, I understand how you feel about a special item. Just remember this: the vast majority of packages arrive safely. Some just take longer than others.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you both for excellent advice, and for understanding. ^u^

@sylviebee - I have sent a message to the seller about this, but I've yet to hear back; mind you, being as it's the weekend, idk when they'll reply.  Maybe they did send the wrong number?  Fingers crossed!

@00nevermind00 - I'm in Quebec, and my seller's in L.A.; I had made my purchase on September 23rd, and delivery was listed from October 2d to 13th... Tbh, I wasn't planning on babysitting, but work was pretty rough on Friday, and since I knew the first delivery date was same, I thought I'd look in and see if I might have a pleasant surprise upon returning home.  *sigh*  A surprise, all right, but about as pleasant as my work day was. 😕  I'll try to chill about it all... and hope my parcel's peregrinations turn out to be of the illusory variety. ^u^

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

The sellers is not supposed to give his lo location, he is supposed to give the location of the product.

It is quite possible that the item has never been in the USA, but is on its way from Asia.

Ignoring questions of authenticity, actual delivery may be a bit slower than you expect and you may face import fees on your doorstep, if the item sold for over $15CDN.

When it arrives, no more than 30 days after purchase, you can decide whether or not to open a Dispute about the transaction.

Until then, don't worry. It is on its way.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The sellers is not supposed to give his lo location, he is supposed to give the location of the product.

It is quite possible that the item has never been in the USA, but is on its way from Asia.

The OP says that the item is "now in Malaysian customs."  To me, the use of the word "now" implies that the item originated elsewhere.  In addition, the item would have no need to pass through Malaysian customs if it originated in Malaysia.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Just an update, if anyone's interested.

As suggested, I contracted the seller, and confirmed that the address to which they shipped was indeed my PayPal-provided address; it was.  They apologised for the situation, and asked me to confirm receipt with them (or let them know if it doesn't ultimately arrive, in which case I imagine a refund will be issued).  Customs is still showing the parcel as having made its way from its origin in California, having been sorted in Los Angeles, then having taken an inexplicable detour to Malaysia, in whose customs it's still showing. O_o  (I'm not babysitting, really, but once I'd gotten a reply from the seller, I figured I'd sneak a peek and see if it was still nowhere close... and it isn't.)

At this point, I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed.  Thanks again to everyone who offered advice!  It feels pretty great that there's such a helpful community at the ready! (✿☯‿☯✿)

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Do not panick yet. Believe it or not, I once had a package go to Japan before going back to me. And another one going to UK and a third to Spain. Then they all found their way back to me. Strangely, 2 of them were also coming from California... My theory is that their sorting machine does not work properly or the package just get stuck under another package.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply