Import Charges

ctltccc
Community Member

I purchased a print from a US seller. The item was $2150. us dollars.  When the print arrived the post office dropped it off and said good bye. The seller contacted me a few days later and said his shipping people paid the import charge of $800. US dollars. The seller said they put the appraised value on the form. 

So the question is shouldn't I pay the charge on the price I paid. not the price he put on the import form.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Import Charges

How much did you actually pay for the item? For shipping?  For other charges?

When and to whom?

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

Are you being asked to pay more to someone? Don't send anyone any extra funds just yet. You might need to place a call to eBay Customer Service about this. Generally speaking, a seller can't come to you asking for more money after you've paid for an item, never mind more money after it has been delivered. Just wait. Don't do anything yet. Until you get some solid advice. 

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

Your question could be complicated, because it could fall under many different categories for Customs purposes.  First of all, is it an original art print? "Original engravings, prints and lithographs" means impressions produced directly, in black and white or in colour, (can be retouched) of one or of several plates wholly executed by hand by the artist, irrespective of the process or of the material employed by him but excluding any mechanical or photomechanical process.  The key here is that the plates or stones must be executed entirely by hand by the artist.  These are DUTY FREE under heading 9702.

Now apply the North American Free Trade Agreement, according to which there is no duty to be paid if the goods are for personal use and marked as made in the United States, Canada or Mexico, OR not marked or labelled to indicate that they were made anywhere other than in these 3 countries.  If your print doesn't qualify as an original work of art, does it qualify under NAFTA?

Normally, clearance value is the invoice value, however, Customs officials may revalue any article if they think it is undervalued or falsely declared.  Putting an appraised value on a piece of art probably is not a good idea, since this is subjective, and the market value is usually what an item attracts on an open market.  An appraisal can come in handy IF an item is reassessed by Customs at a higher amount than the appraisal.  In this case, an appeal could be made, and the appraisal can then be produced .  This may or may not work in the importer's favour.

Then there is the matter of which form was used by the exporter.  If entering works of art commercially at a land border and the value is under $2500, there is a particular form required.  If the item is valued over $2500 formal entry through a Customs Broker and ACE manifest is required.  Yours is considered a commercial entry, because it was not a personal importation at the border.  If the appraised value used was over $2500, then the seller possibly paid for a Customs Broker.  If so, the $800 would be their fees plus applicable taxes (GST/HST).  Ask yourself, is this his problem or yours?  Did the seller indicate he ships to Canada?  Was there any information in the listing about possible export/import fees?  Were shipping costs clearly included in the listing?

Take the advice given of not doing anything, including contacting the seller, until you know more of the situation.  Do you have the paperwork completed by the seller or his shipper?  Can you see if any duties and taxes were assessed?  Did the shipper pre-clear in the US?  Was this a GSP shipment?  And as you were advised, generally speaking eBay does not support additional charges from the seller after delivery.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

They did not ask you brokerage charge? Normally they ask import and brokerage charge together. Do not buy anything expensive from USA. Sometime, you shoud pay import, brokerage charge and GST. 

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

The original poster did not provide enough factual information to be able to assist.

Guesswork as to what may have happened will not help solve the problem, if there is one.

Let's wait until more clarification is provided.  So far, all we know is the the buyer paid and received his item correctly without any tax or added fees being paid (yet).  The message suggests that GSP was not involved in this transaction.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

Wise words, pierre, but this gve me pause.

I purchased a print from a US seller. The item was $2150. us dollars.  When the print arrived the post office dropped it off and said good bye

If the item was delivered postally all the rest makes no sense.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

"If the item was delivered postally all the rest makes no sense."

Two things seem odd to me (without complete story...)

- $800 import fee on $2150 seems high ~ 37%.  How could it be that high?

- Does post office just drop off items of value that high? I thought there was a threshold ($700?) whereby they needed signature. Or does that need to be requested by buyer?

I certainly would not pay buyer anything until I had proof import charge was paid to Cdn Govt.

And the value import fees are paid on should reflect the amount paid for item by buyer.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

"I thought there was a threshold ($700?) whereby they needed signature. "

This amount is for sellers to get the PayPal protection (for what it is worth).  The mail carrier or Post Office clerk does not know what the value of a parcel is unless it clearly shows a declared value on the outside.

Until we get more factual information from the original poster, we are left with speculation only.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

$800 import fee on $2150 seems high ~ 37%.  How could it be that high?

According to the OP, the appraised value was used, and we don't know what that was. 

Over $2500 if declared original art requires formal clearance by a Customs Broker and an ACE Manifest - added cost.

We don't know how this was cleared.  If it did not meet requirements for original art, duties could have been assessed.

In all likelihood, ales tax was assessed.  We don't know if the $800 includes shipping costs.

It all adds up.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

If you were not asked to pay anything on your doorstep by the postman, you don't owe anything.

If the item were shipped by the Global Shipping Program, you paid all applicable duty and tax as part of the "import fees" before your seller shipped.

The seller cannot ask you for more for shipping than he advertised.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

..."and said his shipping people paid the import charge of $800. US dollars."

Who are his "shipping people?"

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

I have a feeling we will never know any  more about this one.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

ctltccc
Community Member

Hi and thank you for all the responses.  I am still trying to figure this one out. The seller sent a message and suggested he may have to open a case with eBay.  Im ok with this I do want this settled. The shipping was sas free, and I did expect import fees. Just not that much. The art item is a Bev Doolittle print. Pre owned and framed. After recieving the print the seller informed me of his shipping department paying the import fee of the apraised value and sending him the invoice.  I am not sure why he would list the appraised value especialy after we discussed (via eBay messaging) pricing and the high costs of importing to Canada. Never did we discuse the import cost for this item. I had purchased another print from Minnesota and the cost on the CBSA postal import form is $1276.11 I was charged $175.84 when it arrived at my door. So I had figured I would pay double that for this print in question.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

No shipping fee. I have been asked to pay the $800. import fee

Message 15 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

I was asked to pay him through PayPal

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

"Never did we discuse the import cost for this item."

Simply ignore the seller at this time.

Once again, it would be helpful if we had more information to guide you (see earlier post).

You paid for the item, you received the item and you are satisfied with it.  End of story.

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

Is there a reason why you have not posted feedback for the seller?

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

the sellers shipping people paid the import fee and sent hime the invoice.  I guess he contacted me when he received the invoice. At this time I have received the print

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

Import Charges

He said it was appraised for over $5000.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply