Is Ebay breaking the law?

Ebay allows counterfeit and bootlegged items to be sold in bulk. It is easy for liars to get away with labeling junk as brand new or like new. Ebay is not strict enough against dishonest sellers. The sellers manage to get away with large amounts of money before their accounts are finally taken down due to legal reasons. The difference between Wal-Mart and Ebay is the fact that at Wal-Mart you can at least see what you are buying, online anyone can post a picture and totally lie about its condition. Its a frustrating money pit due to very risky transactions, they dont care about the buyer after 30 DAYS?!?! Thats not long enough. Their core business model cannot evolve because they rely far too much on random sellers that are usually uneducated, unreliable, and disrespectful. This would be perfect in a Utopian world but we arent in one. I refuse to put anymore money into Ebay because it constantly allows transactions of illegal products and therefore makes Ebay a criminal site that is funded by trafficking of bootlegs and counterfeits. Almost every single seller ive seen is dishonest. At the moment Amazon is a far better site, and there is no comparison in how much better it really is. DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY. It is a failed business model and cannot be relied upon. IF YOU MUST, BUY WITH EXTREME CAUTION. 100% buyer satisfaction rating is the ONLY potentially honest seller rating, anything below that is almost always disappointing. With that i will ask this... Do other Ebay buyers feel like they are in the internet ghetto when they are on Ebay?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I can understand your frustration, I have been burn't on ebay by dishonest buyers in the past but I also sell and I pride myself on my honesty. But that really does not make any difference anyway. eBay pulled one of my listing because it had the word FAUX in the description and then gave me a 7 day suspension. They said I was breaking eBay counterfeit rules. Problem is the purse was NOT fake but I was describing the pattern as FAUX CROCODILE because I didn't want a buyer to think it was real crocodile. I know the English language is sometimes a challenge but there is no excuss  for eBay to have people in that position that can't read English. So it really does not matter anymore how honest a seller or buyer is ...It's all about the almighty buck in the end for eBay.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I see you have a purse for sale with "faux alligator" in the title and description.   How did you overcome the problem with eBay?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Your post is very general and very misguided which seems to come from very little experience here on ebay based on your feedback. We do not disagree with most of your gripe but we are primarily sellers here on ebay and we are HONEST,

We deal in collectibles and antiques, one of the most controversial categories as far as condition of items goes. Look at our listings and you can see for yourself that our pictures show condition and any possible issues related to the item.

Yes buying on ebay can be a minefield but being a smart and prepared buyer is also very important. Yes ebay is loaded with cheap knock off and "too good to be true deals" are everywhere but the same can be said of other selling sites such as the ones you mentioned.

Yes ebay is not perfect but to lump all the sellers together and to call all of us crooks is simply idiotic and insulting to sellers such as us that work hard everyday to serve their customers honestly.

Same as in real life, you go to a reputable jeweler and purchase a rolex with COA and all the bells and whistles one will expect to pay more than if a buyer purchases a "genuine" rolex from a street vendor on Broadway for $25. Buyer must use their best judgement in all situations, be it when purchasing from ebay or in real life. Which rolex will you be happy with? is the question you need to ask yourself BEFORE the purchase.

I am also a collector and I personally attend around 12 live auction every month and for many years I was looking for one very specific antique item to complete a set in one of my personal collection. I never found the item for years even after going to so many auctions every month. Then one day the item appeared here on ebay for sale. It was not quite the quality condition I was looking for and the pictures where badly lit. So I messaged the seller asking for better pictures which he forwarded very quickly.

After a few more communications with the seller I agreed to purchase it and was very happy when it was delivered. But my point here is that communicating with your potential sellers will allow buyers to at least get an idea of what type of seller you are about to enter in a transaction with. Intelligent Buying!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Are you breaking the law by purchasing these items ?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

It would depend on the province.

In most provinces, the buyer of stolen goods is as culpable as the thief, although the Crown will usually not prosecute unless they think it is a repeated offence. But the stolen goods must be returned to the original owner if the owner can be found. Otherwise, well, we've all bought bikes at police auctions at some point, eh?

But in Quebec, the buyer of stolen goods can keep them if he convinces the Crown that he had an innocent mind when he bought them. The original owner can go whistle.

I'm not a lawyer. This is just my understanding from living on the ON/QC border.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply