Items not showing up!

I have ordered several different items over the past year, all coming from overseas (china or that area) and they take well over two months to arrive or they do not show up at all. I have ordered items from Russia that have shown up within a week. Why are things from China not being delivered?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Items not showing up!

@prodetecting wrote:

I have ordered several different items over the past year, all coming from overseas (china or that area) and they take well over two months to arrive or they do not show up at all. I have ordered items from Russia that have shown up within a week. Why are things from China not being delivered?

Cheap shipping from China is via boat not airplane.

You have 180 days (6 months) to file a paypal claim for Item-Not-Received.

-..-

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

The Chinese have been subsidizing postal rates at the expense of other postal systems for years.

This has finally caught up with them.

http://fortune.com/2015/03/11/united-nations-subsidy-chinese-shipping/

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

Good article.  According to what it says, it is not the Chinese who have been subsidizing anything but rather receiving the subsidy, 

"The UPU helps coordinate rates and standards between nearly every national postal system, and ...critics argue that the system now amounts to a subsidy for international shipping from developing countries"  

Nothing in the article suggests this is ever going to change.  Maybe when they have bought up every last piece of real estate in Canada and we can finally be declared a third world country, we too will get cheap shipping.  I'd love to mail parcels overseas for 12 cents.  

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

@i.am.vivian wrote:

Good article.  According to what it says, it is not the Chinese who have been subsidizing anything but rather receiving the subsidy, 

"The UPU helps coordinate rates and standards between nearly every national postal system, and ...critics argue that the system now amounts to a subsidy for international shipping from developing countries"  

Nothing in the article suggests this is ever going to change.  ...

It's a 2015 article.

The world UPU conference this past fall was held in Turkey to make adjustments.  The PDF draft results can be found on http://www.jcampbell.com/UPU/index.htm

Lots of changes including the setting of new rates.

Also some changes that subdivide letter-post items into letter-post items containing only documents and letter-post items containing goods -- something Canada Post has been pushing with lettermail / light packet.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

Nowadays those ships take about 10 days to cross the Pacific and are unloaded within 12 hours of arrival.

Sea freight is not a valid excuse for slow delivery, but poorly organised handling at either end may be.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

@ypdc_dennis wrote:
The world UPU conference this past fall was held in Turkey to make adjustments.  The PDF draft results can be found on http://www.jcampbell.com/UPU/index.htm

Lots of changes including the setting of new rates.

OK.  But I didn't find anywhere in there that China was going to be paying its fair share or anything even close.  Maybe my tired old eyes just can't see it is all.  

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

@afantiques wrote:

Nowadays those ships take about 10 days to cross the Pacific and are unloaded within 12 hours of arrival.

Wouldn't that be nice.  

https://www.reference.com/business-finance/long-cargo-ship-china-united-states-b7c6214e137c2e0a

"The amount of time it takes for a cargo ship to travel between China and the United States depends on the exact route and the speed of the ship. In most cases, these journeys take between two weeks and a month to complete.

In addition to the length of time it takes to physically cross the ocean, handling, customs and other procedures can add significantly to the amount of time necessary to ship goods across the Pacific. It can take as many as 33 days to prep a shipment for transit, and once the ship arrives in the United States, it can take six more days before the cargo is released.

Packages shipped via air take approximately two weeks to arrive. For situations when urgency is not a priority, delivery via sea transport is a cost-effective option. These packages sometimes take over a month to arrive."

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

And of course, your particular purchase may have been the first container on the ship and it could take some time for the ship to obtain enough containers (none of them particularly urgent) to make the voyage worthwhile.

Keep in mind, each of those containers will be offloaded for land shipping as a rail car or on an eighteenwheeler.

agnes_rickmers-9289972-container_ship-8-163734-1.jpg

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

This issue keeps coming up lately about slow shipping from China.  It's always slow, but lately it seems to have come to a complete halt, or almost.  There are a couple articles here that others might find interesting.  I didn't know much about the drug importing, and how much of an issue it was.  As long as there have been illegal substances there have been people trying to sneak it in.  This stuff is different.  

According to the article, 

carfentanil is so deadly that an amount smaller than a poppy seed can kill a person.

so not only is it really lethal but it is deadly in unbelievably tiny amounts.  Imagine what damage this could do if it were accessible to every sorehead with a limitless capacity to hold a grudge and a pathological indifference to life.  

It is unfortunate that Border Service inspections are slowing things down, but perhaps a read through these articles will put a desire for fast cheap gadgets in its proper perspective:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/carfentanil-exports-china-ap-investigation-1.3795415

http://globalnews.ca/news/3043678/chinese-trade-of-deadly-opioid-carfentanil-thrives-at-the-cost-of-...

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

I have same problem , why doesn't eBay step in and do something? I'm going to amazon for all my shopping soon, friends tell me amazon is a lot better then ebay
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

@garettai0 wrote:
I have same problem , why doesn't eBay step in and do something? I'm going to [another site] for all my shopping soon, friends tell me [another site] is a lot better then ebay

Did you read any of the posts by other members or information links provided?  Not that I would ever want to intimidate you into learning something, but you would at least discover why eBay has nothing to do with Canada's Border Services and Customs, and that furthermore it would not be eBay's place to tell Canada to  'stop worrying about a lousy 10 million fatal doses of drugs and instead get buyers their cheap gadgets in a hurry', even if eBay does seem to think it can instruct the Canadian Government in other matters.  

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1180229&tp=1  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

I too have lots of items not received. I've processed four from purchase dates since Oct 27 that have not arrived in 60 days where I gave negative feedback and requested refunds. There are a further 2 orders that are 50 and 47 days old that might be no-shows. This is not good for me or these sellers.

As always, if the items arrive I will revise the feedback and return the money. The drawback is that I'm re-ordering after 60 days.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Items not showing up!

@robbwell wrote:

if the items arrive I will revise the feedback and return the money. 

Such a heartwarming promise but it's a castle in the air.  You yourself can't revise feedback at all, only when a seller sends a revision request will there be any change, and at that it can only happen within 10 days after the negative is left.  

You are entitled to your opinion, but to leave negatives for sellers when you know full well that the seller is not responsible for the long delays, well, um, . . . . . . . 

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/feedback/revise-feedback.html

Message 14 of 14
latest reply