Leaving "indirect" negative feedback past 60 days time limit

kayyran
Community Member

I had a seller rip me off.

I purchased an item from a international seller (China), the item was defective and according to this seller's policy, defective items are refunded in whole (return shipping included). I mailed the item back to the seller, sent a message to the seller telling them that the receipt for the shipping cost was in the envelope with the item. It's only 2 months later (after I asked) that the seller notifies me that he has received my item. After another 2 months of cat and mouse run around no refund was issued to me and now the seller isnt responding to my messages. Now, this item was purchased last August, we are now in January, I can no longer leave negative feedback and after contacting Ebay since no case was opened there is nothing they can do either. 

I'm pissed and don't want to let this seller get away with it. What I would like to do is purchase a cheap item from this sellers store and leave a negative feedback for the item that was not refunded as a way to go around the 60days feedback time limit. Can I do that?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Why didn't you protect yourself? There are dispute systems in place to do so.

Your last paragraph......umm, seriously you just wrote that?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

kayyran
Community Member

I am not familiar with getting ripped off by people on ebay. This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me. 

Why didn't protect myself? Lack of experience. You can be sure that I will not be making a mistake like this again. I appreciate your putting the blame on me though and thank you for your condescending response, it was really helpful.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

kayyran
Community Member

As I thought, thanks for the info!

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

panfouez
Community Member

Sometimes you get ripped of because of your good faith.

I live in Canada and ordered an item from China. It takes 35 days to arrive and turned out to be defective. So I contacted the seller who offered to send a replacement unit. In all good faith, I decided to give him a chance and waited. And waited. And waited. We're now 40 days later, no item, no nothing. But heh, not only are the 60 days for leaving feedback over, but I can no longer open a file in the resolution centre.

Bottom line: if you receive a defective unit or DOA, claim your money back through e-Bay/Paypal resolution centres. Then start over with a new transaction (and perhaps another seller). OItherwise you're exposed to losing your buyer protections and your money.

Let's just hope this does not become a scam on eBay to make money out of broken stuff.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

bbleila56
Community Member

To protect yourself next time, go to resolution before the 45 days, open dispute, but say you will wait longer for replacement , that way you can still claim later.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Hi,

I had the same issue with a Chinese supplier by the name of . The order wasn't a lot of money so it wasn't something I was going to really follow up on a day to day basis. The vendor then suggested to give me a refund outside of ebay with my email address. No thanks enough problems with China. The worst thing was that the add said they were a US supplier.

My operating policy now is to look in Amazon first and in the odd cases where the price is higher use them anyway as it is better to use a quality vendor. ebay is becoming more and more a backyard swap meet.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

" The vendor then suggested to give me a refund outside of ebay with my email address. No thanks"

???

Why would you refuse a refund? 

The fact the money goes directly to your email address (still in your PayPal account) instead of through eBay does not cost you one penny and still brings you money. 

Why refuse it?  I do not get it!

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

HI,

I have had a couple of refunds from a USA and Canadian supplier because they could not guarantee a cell phone was unlocked. They returned the funds without asking.

In this case, I have basically I have traded many emails with this Chinese supplier that has resulted in an effective stalling techniques until the 60 days ran out.

To answer your question: In my business long experience, I do not believe that this supplier is going to refund the money. If I proved the email an go outside ebay he will say that he sent the funds but will not. Dishonest people cannot help themselves.

I see these posts are censored as the vendors name was removed by ebay. This is therefore the end of my ebay buying experience. 

bye

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

"To answer your question..."

Your comment does not answer the question.

Why did you not simply accept a refund from the seller when it was offered?  Off-eBay, on-eBay, does not matter.  Having the money in your account does.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

If you payed with paypal then the seller has already had your email address since that transaction. They just asked for it again to make it easy so they do not have to spend hours digging for it. A high volums seller may have sold 1000's of items since yours. We can look such a thing up easily since for their say 3000 or more sold items we have only sold maybe 5 or so.

What the seller was trying to do was get you your refund without getting a defect . He would have lost the final value fees he payed for the transaction.

We never refund through ebay. Always by paypal to their address. Why would we give ourselves a defect?
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@kayyran wrote:

I had a seller rip me off.

I purchased an item from a international seller (China), the item was defective and according to this seller's policy, defective items are refunded in whole (return shipping included). I mailed the item back to the seller, sent a message to the seller telling them that the receipt for the shipping cost was in the envelope with the item. It's only 2 months later (after I asked) that the seller notifies me that he has received my item. After another 2 months of cat and mouse run around no refund was issued to me and now the seller isnt responding to my messages. Now, this item was purchased last August, we are now in January, I can no longer leave negative feedback and after contacting Ebay since no case was opened there is nothing they can do either. 

I'm **bleep** and don't want to let this seller get away with it. What I would like to do is purchase a cheap item from this sellers store and leave a negative feedback for the item that was not refunded as a way to go around the 60days feedback time limit. Can I do that?

To reply to your original question. No you cannot do that. I doubt very much you will get away with leaving negative feedback for a different item.I would be willing to bet it will very quickly result in ebay removing it.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Absolutely!  I just got ripped of exactly the same way, they told me I'd get a refund and they strung it out until the time was up.  I'm now unable to provide feedback and unable to get a refund. eBay should do something  about this!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Well, both eBay and Paypal have Buyer Protection policies in place. They can't know there is a problem if you don't tell them though.

Paypal's policy covers 180 days from purchase. But it mostly covers Item Not Received claims. Both require that you prove that the item has been received by the seller before you can be refunded.

Delivery Confirmation in other words, and that can be expensive if the seller is overseas.

You could try going to the credit card you use to back your PP account (PP is just a useful mediator). Phone the 1-800 customer service number and ask about a chargeback.

Cards also have deadlines, but some will accept proof of shipping rather than proof of delivery.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

Unfortunately, I also had to learn the hard way.

This is all business, there's no space to be friendly and nice, or you'll get eaten up and destroyed.

If you're not satisfied with the item, send the seller a message. Lay down the law. You have X number of days to fix this, or I'm going to file a claim.

I got screwed the first time by letting a seller string me along over 60 days. I was only able to get a partial refund.

I bought the same item again from a different seller, and once again, it was a bad product. I laid down the law this time, and told him exactly what I was going to do if he didn't offer to fix the issue. Most importantly, I gave specific dates so there's none of the BS "yes, it will be done, but it will take time, etc".

Not coincidentally, I got my full refund within a week with the 2nd seller. They even gave me a "side" refund on the FedEx duty fee that I was charged at the door when I picked up my package.

Be firm. This is a business transaction. We're not friends.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

kirvys
Community Member

I have bought 3 items from China. On the listings it had estimated delivery time of 40 days max. Once having paid the estimated delivery time was changed to 61 days max. Now eBay says I can't leave a negative feedback because it's over 60 days. Also in my purchases the option for I didn't receive the item is gone. Also the changed estimated delivery dates have disappeared even though the case manager tells me he can't do anything because its still 2 days to get to the 61 days.  

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

You have 30 days after the latest estimated arrival date to file an item not received claim.  You should be able to open an item not received claim the day after the latest arrival date.  You should be able to see that date by going to the order details of that listing.

Delivery is given in business days.  It's possible that 40 business days worked out to  61 days.  

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

I can't see how  40 days can turn to 61 days unless its during Chinese new year which is not the case with these items. I also find find that its a bit unusual that after contacting the one of  the sellers that the reply showed that the seller knew that the estimated delivery was changed from 40 to 61 days. The fact remains that even if I jump to all the hoops with eBay/ PayPal to get my money back I will not be able to warn other buyers with a negative feedback.     

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Zombie thread from 2015.

Ignore all earlier information. It will be inaccurate.

You can Search for the words fentanyl and for UPU.

Those are the causes for delays in delivery of items that have arrived in Canada from China.

But.

Some sellers use verrrry verrrrrry slow but cheap shipping services, like Surface Mail.

And a few sellers just don't bother shipping at all, hoping that most buyers will forget the cheap item they ordered on a whim , others will be satisfied with a promise of a Replacement, which is not sent either, and a few will demand and get refunds.

In any case, we get enough complaints about slow delivery that I have some boilerplate prepared, Not all of this will apply to you.

You have 30 days after that 'last estimated date for arrival' to open a Dispute with eBay's Resolution Centre, which is at the bottom of this page.
The first suggestion is to Contact the Seller. Don’t get into a conversation.
Just ask “When was this sent? What service was used? What is the tracking number?”
Don’t get into a conversation. You want either a prompt refund OR a tracking number that shows the purchase is in Canada.
Do NOT accept a replacement. It won’t arrive.
Do NOT close the Dispute until you have the product or the refund.
If you have already attempted to Contact the Seller,  skip that step, ask eBay to step in and Escalate to a Claim.
If the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

If the 30 days have passed, go to your Paypal account.
You have 180 days from payment for this Dispute.
Find the transaction and copy the number.
The PP Resolution Centre is at the top of your PP account page under Tools
Same process basically, skip the Contact Seller and escalate to a Claim.
If the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

In future, read the feedback.
Don't buy from sellers with less than 98% positive (99% for Asian sellers)
Read the negative feedback , including seller responses, for patterns like slow or no delivery, poor communication, low quality, counterfeits.

Message 20 of 21
latest reply