Live in Canada, want to have package shipped to US

Hey there,

I know this has been asked tons of times in the past but I just wanted to confirm.

I'm in Canada and want to have an item shipped to NY and pick it up later.  Adding a US address (or any other foreign address as a matter of fact) to a canadian Paypal is impossible so this leaves only one other option (and no, opening a US bank account and registering a US Paypal is not something I'm gonna do).  This would be adding the US shipping address in my eBay profile (already done successfully).

Now, will this work for sure?  Do I really need to make the US address as primary for it to work?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Yes, you can add an USA address to eBay, make it your Primary shipping address, and then purchase the item with that address being sent to the seller and on all PayPal records.

However, you may still not be able to buy the item. USA sellers can also block PayPal accounts outside the USA in PayPal. So you might be able to buy from the eBay USA seller on eBay but not be able to pay through PayPal.

My understanding of what can happen. Perhaps other members can confirm this.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi, I currently have both a Canadian address and a US address on my ebay account.  Depending on the sale, I can make either one primary.  

The problem that you might run into is that your paypal address will always show in Canada because you live in Canada.  My paypal account is with a US bank and still cannot add my US address to my paypal account.  Believe me I have tried may times.  I have contacted paypal several times too.  No luck. 

Usually, I have emailed the seller on occasion and asked them if they would ship to the US ebay address and not the Cdn paypal address.  I have not run into anyone that has said no.   I find a lot of US sellers are concerned about shipping to an unconfirmed address and that they can lose some of their protection through paypal.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I find a lot of US sellers are concerned about shipping to an unconfirmed address and that they can lose some of their protection through paypal.

eBay/Paypal hasn't required an address to be confirmed for a few years now but it's amazing how many sellers still have that requirement in their listings.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I do exactly this, and if I am serious about buying an item, I e-mail the seller before bidding or hitting the BIN button to let them know that I am in Canada but the shipping is within to the US.  I also have it shipped to a UPS outlet, which I let them know.  I have not had a problem so far, as their main concern is to not ship across a border.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply