Most Buying Concerns Summed Up with Advice.

I have purchased many items on Ebay and just wanted to share some of my buying experience and give a little advice on buying on Ebay. It seems to me there are alot of the same issues that I read on this forum.

Here's my take on buying:

1. I always use a credit card on paypal to pay for items. This will give you added protection against paypal in case you let the 45 days expire prior to filing a dispute or claim. I believe it is 90 days to get a chargeback on your credit card from the date of purchase.

2. I don't ever leave feedback or delete / archive an item in my purchased section until I receive the item. This is handy in the sense that if it gets close to the deadline for filing a dispute, Ebay puts a comment stating if there is a problem, go to resolution centre by a certain to date. This can be a helpful reminder.

3. If I haven't received an item by the 35th day, I politely send a message to the seller stating that I have not received the item yet and if I don't receive it by "date" (43rd day), I would open a dispute which would extend the receiving date by 20 days. If I receive the item within that 20 days then I immediately close dispute.  I also give them the option to just refund me the money and if I receive the item after the refund, I would resend the money. An honest seller would have no issue with this. This has happened a few times and I was more than happy to resend the money. I DO NOT allow the seller to tell me to wait patiently and if they do say that, I just tell them that I'm just making sure I'm covered. Regardless of what a seller says, you have the right to put in a dispute. Always be aware of your timeline. For items received not as described, I contact the seller. If a refund is issued, no need to open a  dispute but if you have to send an item back to the seller, open a dispute and make sure you send the item back with proof of delivery (tracking/signature).

4. I never purchase an item from a seller from the U.S. using the Global Shipping Program (GSP). If I really want a certain item, I will search for a seller not using the GSP. If you can't find another seller, I contact the seller using the GSP and politely ask if they were willing to change their shipping to USPS. I have done this a few times now and haven't had one seller refuse yet. The sellers I have asked didn't even know about the additional cost to Canadians and have stated that they were wondering why their sales to Canada had dropped.

5. Always know the cost of shipping prior to purchasing. People complain about the cost of shipping especially when it is stated right in the auction. Purchase only if you are comfortable with paying the stated shipping cost. If you are willing to pay $16 for shipping and you see it only cost $8 when you receive the package, don't complain about it unless the delivery service is different (states tracking but not shipped with tracking). I also sell on Ebay and it may have cost $8 for the postage but there is time and supplies involved or maybe you won the item dirt cheap. When I sell, it costs me a different amount to ship with tracking to Toronto as it does to Vancouver but I have a flat rate shipping cost.

6. Leave factual feedback. Don't let your emotions get the best of you.

7. Be patient. Don't always go by the shipping timelines stated on the auction. As you get experienced at buying, you will start to understand shipping times. I read alot of complaints on here about shipping times that make me shake my head. Delays happen as it did the other day for me. The package was shipped from Germany and the tracking stated it had arrived at Canada Customs within 6 days of shipping and it wasn't processed / released for 14 days. That is not the fault of the seller. Always refer to STEP 2 if there is a significant delay in receiving an item, whether the package has tracking or not.

Sorry for the long read but I thought this might help as a reference to all buyers. This is just my advice summed up.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Great summary of how to buy. Thanks for posting this.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Very useful.

I wonder if Li-Leslie could see her way clear to pinning this post to the Buying Board?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Great post.  I agree it should be pinned.

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

+1

Need to pin this one for tips for Buyers...

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I thought this would be helpful for all buyers so they can feel confident in protecting themselves. Everyone starts out as a new buyer and I wanted to save new / inexperienced buyers the headache of what could go wrong if they are misinformed or unfamiliar with the buying process so hopefully this will help in giving new buyers a good start and an enjoyable buying experience. Buying on Ebay can be fun and affordable.

I have been very lucky to have not had any bad experiences on buying on Ebay due to reading this forum and want to thank everyone who gives the advice. I figured my experiences could help someone out.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Great post, well worth the read for any potential buyer.

We are sellers but greatly appreciate the effort you put forth in this very informative post/thread, We actually bookmarked your post and we will be sending this link to some of our future buyers when they have issues with ebay related policies.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

There are a couple of issues with the post. Times have changed on eBay and PayPal.

First the time limit is not 45 days from the time of purchase. It is 30 days from the latest estimated date of arrival on or 45 days after date of payment if no estimated date is available eBay.com. On eBay.ca it is 45 days after the purchase date.

With the new eBay Money Back Guarantee now on both sites, I don't know how this affects my comment above or the OP post.

Last, the biggest change of all, the eBay time periods are superseded by the new PayPal 180 period for Item Not Received or Significantly Not As Described.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The policy change to 180 days for PayPal CANADA is effective January 7th, 2015 only.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks Pierre. I knew that but forgot to mention it.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply