New compulsory "Import Fees" from USA to Canada

Member since 2010 (632 100% feedback). I have been experiencing the new compulsory "import fees" policy on items from USA. Surprising! I am disappointed with this policy. It is a negative one on many levels notwithstanding for USA and eBay revenues, as many like myself will now be sure to be motivated to resource items outside of USA, and outside of eBay.

Also disappointing is a story I was told that USPS recently (January 28, 2013) redefined Canada from being an 'intermediary' to an 'international' country, and therefore shipping fees from the USA to Canada have risen 80%!

Must be people in rooms in the USA racking their brains on how to support the USA economy versus just printing money.

Message 1 of 485
latest reply
484 REPLIES 484

It is ridiculous. You buy a $20 item from the US, get charged $5 for shipping then another $8 for customs? Canada Post doesn't charge customs for $20 items. I think Canada charges duty/import fees once you've gone over $200... Don't quote me on that, I'm just assuming. Anyways, if this keeps happening, I'll probably close my account on ebay and switch to Amazon.

Message 481 of 485
latest reply

"I'm just assuming.'

The higher exemption only applies when you travel in person to the USA and bring back merchandise.

For postal shipments, the limit is $20 and Canada Post charges $9.95 administration fee in addition to duty (if applicable) and taxes if assessed by Canada Customs.  Canada Post does not assess taxes; that is done by Canada Customs.

The official Government of Canada webpage on the subject:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 482 of 485
latest reply

"No additional import charges at delivery" .... we'll just take your $$$$$ at checkout!!! 25% import fee???? I don't think so eBay!!! WHAT A SCAM!!!
Message 483 of 485
latest reply

@taicho717 wrote:
"No additional import charges at delivery" .... we'll just take your $$$$$ at checkout!!! 25% import fee???? I don't think so eBay!!! 

Keep in mind that at C$9.95, Canada Post's charge for collecting taxes due on an import sent by mail is sometimes--if not often--higher than the amount left over in import charges after taxes are taken off the "import charges" on a Global Shipping Program listing.

An item selling for $30 to someone in Ontario is subject to 13% HST, possibly even duty.  Add the HST owing to to Canada Post's C$9.95 collection charge (coverted to US$9.25) and the "import charges" on a $30 item sent by mail come to over 40% of the item's selling price.

Even though taxes and duty are rarely charged on $30 items anymore, those items are still considered subject to tax and duty charges.  But I don't think that was the gist of your post.  My response to your post, then, is that expressing the GSP "import charges" as a percentage is not generally a useful exercise.

Message 484 of 485
latest reply

Please post all questions about the GSP here: Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Please post all comments about the GSP here: Comments about the Global Shipping Program

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 485 of 485
latest reply