New compulsory "Import Fees" from USA to Canada

Member since 2010 (632 100% feedback). I have been experiencing the new compulsory "import fees" policy on items from USA. Surprising! I am disappointed with this policy. It is a negative one on many levels notwithstanding for USA and eBay revenues, as many like myself will now be sure to be motivated to resource items outside of USA, and outside of eBay.

Also disappointing is a story I was told that USPS recently (January 28, 2013) redefined Canada from being an 'intermediary' to an 'international' country, and therefore shipping fees from the USA to Canada have risen 80%!

Must be people in rooms in the USA racking their brains on how to support the USA economy versus just printing money.

Message 1 of 485
latest reply
484 REPLIES 484

Yep - so much for the North American Free Trade Agreement. If this is true it just sorta by passes it

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 2 of 485
latest reply

Actually, now that I look at your post again -  it seems wrong. This does not sound like a shipping fee, it sounds more like an export fee if it is coming from the US. An export fee would be paid in the US and import fee wouldd be paid in Canada - right somebody? Out there - anybody?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 3 of 485
latest reply

The new "fees" might relate to eBay's new Global Shipping Program using Pitney Bowes...

Link to http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html

Once bought,  customs, brokerage, taxes  and other fees are added to the cost of the item  and shipping.

Buyer gets everything in the invoice  and must pay to receive the item  with no extra charges as the parcel goes through customs...

Message 4 of 485
latest reply

timakire
Community Member

i am in total agreement!  maybe i missed an Announcement (i don't think so) but was there any warning to Canadian buyers about this?  it's not small change - i got stung for almost 40% of the purchase price of an item yesterday and it came as a total surprise.  there was nothing in the listing about Import charges being added and i didn't know about them until AFTER i had committed to buy the item.

is this only applicable to sellers who opt into this Global Shipping Program (and i'll have to vet them before buying)?  or is it all US sellers (and i'll have to quit buying from the US completely)?

when you add this to the recent increase in shipping charges and the lower Canadian dollar, Ebay just isn't a great deal for the Canadian buyer anymore

Message 5 of 485
latest reply

The listing when viewed on eBay.ca read: "Import charges: To be provided at checkout

This is followed by a question mark (link) stating:

This amount includes applicable customs duties, taxes, brokerage and other fees. This amount is subject to change until you make payment. For additional information, see the Global Shipping Program terms and conditions-

Unfortunately, there is no such warning when the listing is viewed on eBay,com 😞

Message 6 of 485
latest reply

It's the GSP.

I've been caught a few times.  It's tricky.

I found that sellers don't see it at their end and completely confused about the buyer's experience unless and until you inform them.

In my cases the sellers were very easy to work with and agreed to re-list and ship the normal way for me.

Once you're caught in the P-B loop the only way out is to cancel the transaction and work it out with the seller.

Unless, of course, you opt to pay those outrageous amounts to P-B.  That's your choice and no one is forcing you to do so.

In any event, IMO.......... the sellers should be informed about your experience.

I doubt that sellers who care about their ratings will opt to stick with the program once they understand what it's all about.

Message 7 of 485
latest reply

I just noticed the "import fees" after I purchased an item and went to pay for it. Why do the US get this option and not us? Just like the US gets ebay bucks, soon we won't be getting. Isn't all fees supposed to be put in the shipping costs and not separately? I never get charged import fees/duties etc anyways because of the items I buy have a very low value ($1.00-$5.00), so why would I need $4.00 in extra import fees? That's as much as shipping should cost. This is too much, what's next ebay!!!!

Message 8 of 485
latest reply

"Why do the US get this option and not us?"

Because very few Canadian sellers need or would use the program if made available by Pitney Bowes to Canadian eBay sellers.

The bulk of shipments made by Canadian sellers goes to the USA where no tax or duty is charged for items valued at less than $200 representing the bulk of transactions between Canadian sellers and American buyers.

Since Canadians do not need (nor want) the program, eBay and Pitney Bowes will not waste their time instituting it.

Message 9 of 485
latest reply

I just noticed the "import fees" after I purchased an item and went to pay for it.

That's the way we're getting caught.

No one is forcing you to pay for the item.  Why not contact the seller and inform him or her about the way you are getting billed.

Chances are that the seller is note even aware of how you see it at your end.

Why do the US get this option and not us? 

Canadians are more sensitive to this kind of thing because we have a limit of $20 while the US is over $200.................. and also because Canadian sellers have had to be innovative in order to compete with US sellers.

And Really:  For Canadian sellers it "could" be a plus because it makes US items using the GSP unattractive and Canadian shipping very attractive by comparison.

Message 10 of 485
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Its not limited to USA>Canada.  I suspect we will eventually see it here, though it may take years like it took amzn to roll out FBA here.  Ebay, amzn and goog are all getting into different aspects of the delivery business.  goog bought little Canadian bufferbox with mail boxes around the gta.   Probably never be of use to the small time sellers, though it wont be good if CP loses as the current couriers end up cut out of parcel delivery altogether after that type of thing rolls out everywhere

Message 11 of 485
latest reply

Unfortunately, there is no such warning when the listing is viewed on eBay,com

That warning is there when viewing on .com plus they show the actual import fee amount, unlike .ca

On .com listings they also have a large Global Shipping icon so I think that it is more likely that a buyer would notice ahead of time that there will be import charges.

item 230826444061 on ebay.com  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elly-Sienkiewicz-Baltimore-Beauties-and-Beyond-Quilting-book-Volume-Two-/230826444061?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35be54051d

The same item on .ca     http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Elly-Sienkiewicz-Baltimore-Beauties-and-Beyond-Quilting-book-Volume-Two-/230826444061?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35be54051d

Message 12 of 485
latest reply

Hi PJ - You are correct with your examples of a current listing.  I was looking specifically at 111022994301 (completed).

It appears completed listings do not give the same information as current listings or am I missing something? 

Message 13 of 485
latest reply

When a listing is completed on .com you have to click on the small picture in the corner to see all of the info.

I have been meaning to ask one of the pinks when the information would be more prominent on .ca but I have a class on Wednesday about the same time they are here so perhaps someone else might want to ask about it.

Message 14 of 485
latest reply

"you have to click on the small picture in the corner"

Thank you.  Learn something new every day on eBay! 🙂

Message 15 of 485
latest reply

Hi timakire 

Checking the listing more carefully, under the "Shipping and Payment" tab, I see the "import charge (estimated) in the amount of $20.83 (about 40% of the value of the transaction as you stated).

Depending where you live in Canada, that would be about $4.00 more than if the purchase had been sent by mail (tax and Canada Post brokerage fee).

Unfortunately, American sellers receive incentives from eBay to offer the Global Shipping program.  Sellers are most likely unaware of the extra cost to the buyer.

There is a need for seller's education on the subject.

Message 16 of 485
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The so-called "Import Fees" is very suspicous.  I have received parcels an average of 2-10 every week from USA to Canada and I haven't been charged for the custom and duty fees expect one which is a huge and heavy parcel which I expected to pay but for all other parcels, none.

So why is eBay starting to add those so-called fees?  Where those fees actually will go into the pockets?  It is very suspicous. 

In fact I received 10 parcels today, no one with custom/duty fees.  There is something fishy with eBay now, we need to be careful and make sure that those so-called fees not to be included, otherwise we shouldn't pay for it or buy anything from US sellers who imposed those so-called fees.

I see one seller (famous for selling very expensive transparencies of celebrities) added this so-called fees to the invoice which was about $45.00 on top of the item which a buyer bid and won for $250.00, not to mention plus a shipping cost of $12.95 which he dings each buyer for each item and the total really comes very expensive with the so-called fees.  I asked this seller about this so-called fees if he really pay $45.00 for the so-called import fees.  He admited that he doens't knew where that $45.00 will go, more likely go to his pockets!!  I am sure that some U.S. sellers may take advantage of using this so-called import fees to pocket them for themselves!  So we need to watch out and make sure it is legal and proper.  

Sad that eBay starts this insane fee.  It is bad enough that there are too many fees on top of fees and plus fees, plus fees including final value fees on shipping costs.  Sigh. 

I wish there is another Intenet site that we can switch from eBay.

Message 17 of 485
latest reply

Collector....... it's a sanctioned scam called the Global Shipping Program (GSP).

The US sellers I've bought from who use it had no idea what it looked like at my end and were All Apologies when I explained it to them.

Buyers can educate US sellers by letting them know what they see...........

It probably won't take............. but Canadian sellers might be cheering it on......:).

Message 18 of 485
latest reply

Seller never gets the extra fees....

The fees are collected and transferred to those running the Global Shipping Program...who then allocate amounts to the appropriate authority in the destination country.

Message 19 of 485
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any seller who applies for the Global Shipping Program is stupid.  I don't believe that the so-called import fees will go to the right person/department.  Something fishy here.  I hope this program will be "retired" shortly. 

Message 20 of 485
latest reply