No Shipping To Canada

Ebay has a policy which charges fees just not on the item sold, but on the shipping charges attached to that item.

Therefore, American Ebay sellers are blocking Canadians from purchasing their items unless pre-arranged and even then this does not mean anything, unless the Ebay Seller goes online and unblocks your bid for their item.

Case in point. Today I wanted to purchase an item from a gentleman in Flordia. I had gone to the trouble of contacting this person and asked him how much to ship his item to Canada. He came back with the price and I thanked him. I then entered the bidding game and I entered a bid of $250.00 but it was blocked. I tried contacting this person about our previous Email, but there was no response. So bidding ended today without my bid of $250.00 even reaching the seller. The item sold for $88.00 .

Ebay - what a frigging joke.  Given the high fees and this blocking ability, Canadian are being discriminated against.  So much for the North American Free Trade Agreement. We want to give Americans money $$$$$$ for their goods but we are blocked from doing so by economic fee barriers being erected against Canadian Customers.

After today, I will start looking for alternatives to the Ebay Marketplace.

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

No Shipping To Canada

It is more expensive for US sellers to ship to Canada, But if I'm willing to pay the shipping I don't understand why they care.

I'll ship anywhere in the world as long as the buyer is willing to pay the shipping ~ Hopefully they contact me first to find out the cost.

Message 21 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

Actually I was told by a US seller that filling out customs forms was just 'too much hassle'

so he wouldn't ship to Canada.

I think it's a 'weak' excuse but it's his perogative to do that.

Most of the members who buy from me are in the USA so I have to fill out Small Packet and/or Expedited forms daily ~ I really don't mind as I get lots of transactions from them.

If it wasn't for my USA & Other countries buying, I'd have very little business.

Message 22 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

A US seller has a market  that numbers in the 300 million plus....

Canada adds 30 million to that mix.... 10 % more potential buyers...

Why think about the headaches involved in meeting the needs such a small group of potential buyers...

That is the view of US sellers.... They have enough potential buyers to make them happy...

Yes,  but in my opinion, the economy in the States is a real mess (not that it's better in Canada) but we don't have the same issues for the majority. I would think having a buyer who may be in a better position to pay out larger amounts, thus increasing the bids per item and the amount of bids per item, would be a welcome bonus to any seller in the States. And what about us? I don't block the American buyers even though it is expensive and yes more work to ship to the States. I really think there's more to it. But I'm okay with them not selling to me, I'll take my money to the U.K. 🙂 They seem to like me spending my money on their things.

Janet and Paul
Message 23 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

*tory
Community Member

As a Canadian reading all of the above, I think I'll refrain from buying U.S.

Message 24 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

Delivery confirmation within the US is dirt cheap. From the US to Canada it is not and if they need a signature it is a bigger hassle. Many will just not bother as they don't want the risk of item not received claims outside their own country.

Message 25 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

Here is how to solve your problem:

Get a US mailing address

Get a US bank acct

Get a US debit or credit card

Open a US based Ebay account

Open a US based Paypal acct

That way, you can buy to your hearts content from the US with no restrictions and have items shipped to the US. You will have to go pick them up or have them forwarded to you. If you really want to buy unrestricted from the US it will involve time and trouble on your part.

Message 26 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

abatard
Community Member

I am a fairly regular shopper on ebay, i average about 12 items per month consistently.  Here is the deal...Since January 2013 Canadian ebay shoppers are being hosed by both the Canadian Postal System and USPS.  So to that end, i now exclude all American seller's, and shop via the UK, France or the rest of Europe.  Those seller's do not have 1.) Attitude, 2.) Self Important Issues, 3.) Penchant for ripping people off with ridiculous shipping fee's. And their prices when all is said and done are very close to what you would pay from US sellers anyways.  A bit longer arriving but always a pleasant transaction in the end.

It's time the buyer's on Ebay started flexing their buying power muscles...without us both Ebay, and Sellers become history.  Say what you want, i for one am boycotting USA Ebay...two can play the game :-)).

Message 27 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

abatard, if you need to return an item with tracking to a buyer in Europe, you will find that very expensive. You can return without tracking but they you are at the mercy of the seller since you have no proof of the return for PayPal Buyer Protection. So you will have little buyer protection if something goes wrong.

Message 28 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

Strange but if I recall Correctly The shipping fees we all pay is caculated by our cheapest domestic shipping method so a US seller would pay the same fees on shipping to the US or Canada .. Maybe I am wrong maybe it is different for the US but when I sell to the US i Pay % of my lkowest domestic shipping method which is usually 13% of 0..

I exclude a ton of countries from where I ship ... Why? simply because I feel it is good for my business and ratings..

It is a personal choice and I simply look for those who ship to Canada andf forget about the rest ...

Message 29 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

Also whatever changes have happen seems to be working for me ... I sold more to the US this month then any other month sense  I have opened my store ...YES ..I guess the usps price hilkes are working in my favor .. Lovin it

Message 30 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

"What really drove this home to me:

I can get a box of books from Amazon.UK cheaper than I can from Amazon.com."

I'm confused by this statement.  Why are you ordering books from Amazon.com instead of Amazon.ca?  I order books all the time from .ca and, as you must know, there is free shipping if you order more than $25.00.  Amazon.com does have a lot of other items that .ca doesn't have, but I'd never pay their shipping, but they have the same books.  Sometimes I order used books (really recent ones) and you can pick what condition you want and how much you want to pay.  I've bought many hardcover books that are used (but in absolutely perfect condition) from the States for 1 cent + apx. $6.00 shipping. 

Message 31 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

Sorry, meant to say why do you order, or are thinking of ordering from Amazon.UK?  I'm interested ?:|

Message 32 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

What is wrong with America ? Just read these posts. I want to buy (give money to American sellers,) however I have to beg them to sell me the product on Ebay that they have listed and beg them to ship it to me. Therefore I have simply withdrawn from the Ebay marketplace. I will find other mannerisms of giving away my money. 

Message 33 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

Some US Sellers just don't ship to Canada, their choice. 

Could be a myriad of reasons. Maybe some could have been taken advantage of in the past.

Their loss, but with that huge marketplace stateside, i'm sure they're not crying.

Message 34 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

This is the most frustrating thing. Most of what I buy through ebay are vintage items that can't be found just anywhere so when I come across something I like and can't bid, it really sucks because it may not pop up again. I always message the seller to add shipping, but most don't even reply in time. The worst is when they agree to add shipping but hike up the shipping cost when I can clearly see a quote for shipping through the USPS website. I see no incentive for American buyer sellers not to sell to Canadian buyers for reasons already listed above. A customs form really isn't a hassle. It takes 2 minutes to fill out. If you're handicapped and you aren't able to go to the post office, that's understandable but for someone who isn't, why pass up getting extra money (sometimes $50-100s extra) for a small trip? I really think eBay should encourage/give incentives (such as a break on silly fees) for cross border purchases especially between the US and Canada who are large trading partners already.

Message 35 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

Since the US Postal Increases & the GSP Program many Canadians do not buy from sellers Stateside.

In turn US Sellers, for whatever reason, choose not to ship to Canada unless they charge extra for shipping.

Their choice, unfortunately our loss.

Eventually, hopefully, the item will show again for you to purchase.

Message 36 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

"I really think eBay should encourage/give incentives (such as a break on silly fees) for cross border purchases"

Careful what you wish for!

eBay.com has been doing exactly that: offered 50% discount on FVF to American sellers wishing to ship outside the USA and subscribing to the Global Shipping Program.

Most Canadians do NOT want to deal with American sellers using the Global Shipping Program as it means higher fees and shipping delays for Canadian buyers. 

Catch 22

There is no easy solution. Shipping to Canada for Americans may at times expand their market but many simply do not want to be bothered.  It is their choice.

"A customs form really isn't a hassle. It takes 2 minutes to fill out..."

That is a simplification of the problem.  Many American sellers ship exclusively through  UPS (ooooops! Canadians do not want UPS).  Many other American sellers have USPS pick up at the door daily. Oooops! that does not work for shipments destined to Canada. 

Parcels need to be delivered at the Post Office. 

It is easy for a Canadian sitting at home to suggest there is nothing to it.  Many Americans will disagree. They ask themselves why should I waste my time and money (time is valuable and gas is not cheap) to drive and wait at the post office to satisfy a few foreign customers? The same customers who often complain about customs fees and delays or ask for false Customs declarations? Customers who cost more to service (PayPal charges extra for payment from Canada and overseas).  Many come to the conclusion that the extra business is not worth their while.  It is difficult to blame them.

Message 37 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

This is the most frustrating thing. Most of what I buy through ebay are vintage items that can't be found just anywhere ...............................

life.......... what you say is true for me as a buyer as well.

However, considering all the problems with importing from the States....:

As a Canadian seller........  my items, in my category, surpass almost all US sellers.......... or sellers anywhere for that matter.

I no longer list here very much............. BUT........... 

I do sell on line.

So ............ even though I know Canadians are buying in my category and well-represented................ :

Where are all the Canadian buyers?

They should be knocking my door down.

Message 38 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

Parcels need to be delivered at the Post Office.

That was true at one time for first class international parcels as postage could not be bought online. But it is available online now and according to posts I've read on the .com forums, the mailman will pick up first class packages along with priority etc.

Message 39 of 70
latest reply

No Shipping To Canada

Thank you.

It took me a while but found the USPS changes:

235 Mail Entry and Deposit
-Customers must present the following Priority Mail International items requiring a customs form to an employee at a Post Office retail service counter. Subject to the standards in 235.1, Pickup On Demand service is available for Priority Mail International items. No pickup fee will be charged when a Priority Mail International item or items are picked up during a letter carrier’s regular delivery stop or during a scheduled stop made to collect other mail not subject to a pickup fee.

Summary of Changes

-Effective January 27, 2013, as noted in PB issue 22352, the following sections in chapters 1 through 9 are revised to add references to First-Class Package International Service in addition to First-Class Mail International service. First-Class Package International Service is a new service for shipping packages (small packets), which previously were shipped with First-Class Mail International service. revised to add an entry for First-Class Package International Service, which replaces the ...

Message 40 of 70
latest reply