Not as Described Purchases

A very common situation for me (and others) as an ebay buyer is receiving an item that wasn't as described BUT..........

It's not so bad that you'd pay the cost of return shipping with tracking.

Returning ebay items without tracking is the kiss of death because sellers are notorious for claiming items didn't arrive if given the opportunity to do so.

So........ you email the seller to say that the item is more damaged than the listing stated and suggest that a partial refund would be fair.

The seller often responds with" "Not My Problem."

Then, you can open a case and there is now a little box to check requesting a partial refund.

Again, the seller responds with: "Not My Problem."

You've sent numerous pictures to show the damage, and now you could escalate the case, but is there any chance that ebay will find that the seller owes you a partial refund?

I'm pretty sure that if the case is found in the buyer's favour that you will be forced to return it with tracking. (Something you've already decided against.)

In other words......... if the seller tells you to hit the road when you suggest a partial refund, and you don't want to pay for return shipping with tracking, is there any option other than to suck it up?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Yes: destroy his feedback. If this is a recurrant situation for him, his feedback score will greatly diminish over time. I for one ALWAYS chek feedback and I read ALL negatives and neutral and a few of positives as well, because ebayers also rant on positives when decideing to leave a positive even if they were not satisfied.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

"very common situation for me"..."receiving an item that wasn't as described."

"is there any option"

Yes, if the problem is as bad and frequent as you suggest in your post and the sellers are as irresponsive as you state, then the only solution is to ship elsewhere.  If you really believe things are that bad on eBay, there is no logic in staying here, is there?

Tens of millions of other buyers do not seem to experience the level of quality problems you have personaly seen. It may have to do with the type of items you buy or how you select your sellers.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

"destroy his feedback"

Is this wise?

Checking replies to the neutral and negative feedback you often leave for sellers, we see commenst such as:

"Buyer has history of abusing feedback system, check his feedback for others"

Is this how you build a reputation as a good buyer on eBay?

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"very common situation for me"..."receiving an item that wasn't as described."

"is there any option"

Yes, if the problem is as bad and frequent as you suggest in your post and the sellers are as irresponsive as you state, then the only solution is to ship elsewhere.  If you really believe things are that bad on eBay, there is no logic in staying here, is there?

Tens of millions of other buyers do not seem to experience the level of quality problems you have personaly seen. It may have to do with the type of items you buy or how you select your sellers.

Clearly,  I'm aware that I can shop wherever I choose.

As I've stated numerous times I LOVE ebay and have no intention of leaving so please refrain from inviting me to do so.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply