PAID FOR PURCHASE BUT IT SHOWS AS PENDING

Hello,

I made a purchase and paid for it immediately through Paypal. However, on my list, it shows up as pending and in Payal it shows up as the seller has not agreed to payment yet. I have contacted the seller gave him the transaction ID, he says don't worry he will look into it. It is over 2 weeks and can't get info on my purchase. I can't seem to contact Ebay help either as I am travelling and need access to a telephone which is not a 1-800. Can anyone help? Is he trying to scam me as I got a good deal on it?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Did you pay via e-transfer/e-cheque? Those take about 14 calendar days to clear. It will say on your Paypal receipt whether it was an e-cheque bank transfer which is not uncommon if you don't have a credit card linked to your account. They are, however, a pain in the butt for buyers and sellers for reasons you are presently experiencing. 

If the payment says pending, chances are it is really pending. You could try also calling paypal for the answer. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

No, it was paid for with regular Paypal checkout and charged to a credit card. Never had had any issues before. Payment says that it was not yet accepted by the other party. When I contacted them, all they keep saying for the last 2 weeks is Yes I 'll look into it, don't worry.  I think they just want me to cancel the purchase so as they can sell it for higher.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Oh, it's that kind of thing.

Did you have to persuade them to ship to you? Usually, the only PayPal payments that have to be formally 'accepted' are ones outside the seller's own native currency.

You may be facing a xenophobic seller.

But I suspect you're right. It doesn't sound as if he or she is particularly motivated to take your money and ship your order, thereby completing the transaction.

You might just have to cancel and try someone else.

You can still leave feedback, I believe. Or maybe not since the payment is pending. Is this a new seller or one with a lot of experience in the Feedback As a Seller department?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

It is very odd. No it's a very experienced (Chinese) seller with 184135 transactions 98.3% positive feedback.  They offered international free shipping. I cannot understand why they just don't validate he purchase.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

There must be something happening behind the scenes.

On another note, is the postal service Tracked?

Orders from China routinely take up to five or six months now to arrive due to increased vigilance at the border by Customs agents searching for drugs smuggled from China. That's a whole other topic. Google a Globe and Mail story about Chinese fentanyl smuggled by mail and you'll see.

This may be the true reason he's reluctant to ship. Parcels from China are not being delivered in a timely manner unless sent with tracking and he might not want to lose the inevitable Item Not Received dispute.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

The thing is there is no tracking information cause on the eBay purchase history it looks pending...if I go into complaint that I have not received item, it says that I haven't paid for it...if I go on the PayPal site, it says my payment was made on April 6th but the seller has yet to accept the payment. I am stumped on what to do. If I cancel the payment, it is not fair as I had won a good auction on it. An Ebay has not been very helpful as I cannot open a complaint as it looks unpaid.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

It's actually a PayPal problem with your eBay seller. I think.

I think the transaction won't end in a satisfactory manner. Every seller wants to be promptly paid so they can ship. Except this one for reasons unknown.

If it were me, I'd stop waiting and call PayPal to cancel the pending payment. And try elsewhere. For the record, 98 percent positive feedback is far too low. Aim for a seller with higher. It may be a blessing this has gone pear-shaped earlier rather than later when you have to pay return shipping for a PayPal transaction that was not what was promised from the seller.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Maybe I can cancel the payment and retry paying? I have never done that before. What do you think? Regardless, thanks for the help!

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

You could.

But there is a very good chance that the same thing will happen again.

Your seller is reluctant to accept your money.

Doesn't that strike you as odd?

MJWL 's advice is good. Cancel the payment, releasing the seller and yourself from the transaction.

Find another seller.

At this time, inexpensive items from China (specifically) are being Held by CBSA for inspection against fentanyl smuggling and then by Canada Post because China owes them money under the UPU mutual services treaty.

Even if your seller does ship, which seems unlikely, expect a two or three month wait. We're seeing reports of items shipped before Christmas finally arriving now.

And 98% is poor for a North American seller, disastrous for a Chinese seller. Read those negatives and neutrals and see the pattern.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

You *could* try that if you called PayPal Customer Service and had them walk you through doing so to ensure no errors were made. But I really would not.

To be frank, your seller is behaving in a way that defies logic. As sellers, we all WANT to get paid promptly so we can ship our goods to their new owner. That's our whole purpose in eBay. That your seller is NOT doing this for reasons known only to him speaks volumes in terms of trouble to come.

The best outcome you can hope for here, in all probability if the next payment is accepted, is that you never receive your item at all. Orders from China are so delayed right now that your eBay Buyer Protection will be long expired. You mentioned twice that you got a sweet deal? In all likelihood that means the item you'll get bears almost no resemblance to that which you expect. But you'll have to use PayPal Buyer Protection to send it back WITH TRACKING AT YOUR OWN COST (an average of $50 postage) to get your money back.

If it were me, I'd cancel, and take that money and try a reliable seller in North America.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Er, I can see from your Feedback Received that you've bought a tonne of knock-off stuff* from China recently for pennies on the dollar with free international shipping.

Don't be unpleasantly surprised if you don't see any of those orders until Back to School. You're going to need to mark your calendar now about when your 180 days of Buyer Protection through Paypal will be expired. Ebay's will be long done by then. It's exactly what femmfan and I are trying to warn you about.

Read this:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/investigations/a-killer-high-how-canada-got-addicted-tofentanyl/...

and 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/investigations/a-killer-high-how-canada-got-addicted-tofentanyl/...

Until this problem with fentanyl being smuggled into the country via China is resolved, it's best to alter your shopping habits. Or ask for and pay for service by epacket.

There are reports about this every day on the ebay Community Boards. You are not alone in the wait to come.  

* That's not LEGO, read the Item Description in the listings. You might be worried about what goes into the plastic used since unauthorized manufacturers use many components in their plastic mix which are cheap to source but carcinogenic in the long run which is not ideal if it's to be given to children to play with. You can tell at touch since the knock-offs generally feel greasy whereas LEGO does not. Returns to China are a challenge for the reasons explained in my previous reply. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I have the same issue, but my credit card, even have the transaction on my visa history, but marked pending. To a Canadian Seller with 80 rating 100%. What is going on, zero info on this anywhere. This happened to my last order with a 1000 rated 100% US seller. Nothing wrong with my card. I am phoning my Visa now to double check.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

This thread will probably be closed as it's 4 years old so if you want to talk more about the issue you should start a new thread.

You see the pending info or just the seller sees it?  If you wouldn't mind giving the item number we could tell if the seller is in Manage Payments or still using Paypal as a payment processor.  

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 15 of 15
latest reply