Question about GSP within Canada

moefarid
Community Member

Hey everyone,

A few days ago my shipment arrived to Mississauga, Ontario from Kentucky as part of the GSP. It is destined to arrive to me here, in Calgary, Alberta. Although there is an expected time period/range during which the package is scheduled to arrive at my end here, it seems like it's going faster than expected (surprisingly).

That said, I'm curious to know whether anyone here has been through a similar experience before and can give me an average time for how long a shipment would take to arrive from Mississauga to around the Alberta area via the GSP? I say average because naturally, each shipment would probably slightly differ in delivery time.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Not exactly off topic, but AZ uses a similar Hub and Spoke system for deliveries.

I ordered 4 items there on Oct. 26. Like eBay there were four different sellers.

The first arrived on Oct. 28. The third (from here in Victoria!) arrived on Nov. 16. The fourth has yet to arrive.

However, if you are not home when your purchase is delivered, the carrier will leave a note telling you where and when you can pick it up.

The GSP/Pitney Bowes uses both Canada Post and CanPar for deliveries to our certain knowledge. There may be other carriers unreported.

If you don't have anything by 20 days after your payment, go to the Resolution Centre and start an Item Not Recieved Dispute. Get your money back.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I live in Edmonton (Go Esks!) and recently ordered 2 items that came from Ontario (one from Barrie, one from Mississauga itself) that both went through the Mississauga facility. Both were sent Expedited Parcel.

The one from Barrie arrived at the Mississauga facility on Monday Nov. 16, and was delivered to me in Edmonton on Thursday Nov. 19.

The one from Mississauga arrived at the Mississauga facility on Tuesday Nov. 17, and is scheduled to arrive on Monday Nov. 23. (It actually arrived in Edmonton Friday afternoon).

These times are consistent with other packages I've ordered that went through Mississauga, so since it has already been a few days since it arrived in Mississauga, I would say that you will likely receive the package Monday or Tuesday.

I don't believe that fact you ordered the item through GSP impacts its movement in Canada. I have only ordered a GSP item once, though, so perhaps a more experienced and knowledgeable user can clarify that.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@thestuffofchris wrote:

I don't believe that fact you ordered the item through GSP impacts its movement in Canada. I have only ordered a GSP item once, though, so perhaps a more experienced and knowledgeable user can clarify that.

You may be comparing two different services, anyway.  The Mississauga facility you're referring to is a Canada Post sorting station.  For all we know, given how the GSP operates the Mississauga facility being referred to in Moefarid's tracking information may be that of a logistics and transportation company or a commercial carrier.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for adding that information. I didn't realize there were two different channels it could go through in Mississauga.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

moefarid
Community Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess have to wait and see an update on what carrier/courier will be used, then I can make the question a little more specific for a better answer!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Not exactly off topic, but AZ uses a similar Hub and Spoke system for deliveries.

I ordered 4 items there on Oct. 26. Like eBay there were four different sellers.

The first arrived on Oct. 28. The third (from here in Victoria!) arrived on Nov. 16. The fourth has yet to arrive.

However, if you are not home when your purchase is delivered, the carrier will leave a note telling you where and when you can pick it up.

The GSP/Pitney Bowes uses both Canada Post and CanPar for deliveries to our certain knowledge. There may be other carriers unreported.

If you don't have anything by 20 days after your payment, go to the Resolution Centre and start an Item Not Recieved Dispute. Get your money back.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

moefarid
Community Member

Quick update guys, it seems eBay used Purolator for delivery. Took about 3-4 business to arrive from when it got to the sorting center in Ontario.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@moefarid wrote:

Quick update guys, it seems eBay used Purolator for delivery. Took about 3-4 business to arrive from when it got to the sorting center in Ontario.

Not trying to be nit-picky, but it would have been whatever company or companies that were contracted out by PitneyBowes, and since these companies vary, so will their choice of carrier for the last leg of the item's journey.  eBay doesn't have anything to do with the forwarding and delivery of a GSP item.

Thanks for the update, though!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Dont buy anything that is shipped by GSP its a complete waste of time and money and your item will likely end up broken. I live on the west coast as is the seller Idaho and my item was shipped to the east coast then to Toronto then back to BC had i known this i wouldn't have even bothered its been 2 weeks and my item is still in KY Oh and my item was under 500g the size if a CD and i was charged almost 60.00 this company Pitney Bowes are a bunch of Vulchers!
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Was this for the 2007 ARCTIC CAT ARTIC M1000 M 1000 M1 ECU BRAIN COMPUTER #15-10 listed at US$399?

Did you ask the seller, prior to purchasing the item, if he would consider shipping directly to Canada without using GSP?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

If it is the $400USD item, then a good deal of that $60 would be duty and sales tax plus the ~$5USD  PB service charge.

If the item had been sent via USPS/Canada Post the duty and sales tax would still be applicable plus the ~$10CDN Canada Post service charge.

CBSA and Canada Post usually do not assess items valued under ~$100CDN for duty and tax, but in theory they could*.

Shipping by mail rather than the GSP might or might not have been cheaper. Rolling dice.

*These public servants seem to have decided informally that it makes little sense to assess items for duty and tax** when the amount that would be collected is lower than the cost of collecting. CBSA officers earn around $20-$30 an hour.

**Most of what is collected is tax. While many items are not dutiable, sales tax is still collected. And yes, even on used items.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@brassanchor wrote:

Dont buy anything that is shipped by GSP its a complete waste of time and money and your item will likely end up broken. I live on the west coast as is the seller Idaho and my item was shipped to the east coast then to Toronto then back to BC had i known this i wouldn't have even bothered its been 2 weeks and my item is still in KY 

I'm having a hard time following this sequence of events.  Did the item do a dance around the eastern US before winding up in Kentucky?  If so, the GSP has nothing to do with that as the seller is responsible for getting the item out to the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky before the GSP forwards it on to you.

But then you say the item went to Toronto and then to British Columbia, and then you follow up by saying the item is still in Kentucky, but perhaps you mean that that's where the item was last tracked.  How would you know the item went to Toronto and then to BC?

And I definitely don't know how you think your item will likely end up broken when you don't appear to have received it yet.

@brassanchor wrote:

Oh and my item was under 500g the size if a CD and i was charged almost 60.00 this company Pitney Bowes are a bunch of Vulchers!

As was noted in another post, some of that charge would be GST.  As Pitney Bowes is considered the importer of a GSP item, it has to pay the GST or HST plus duties owing on a GSP purchase and they pass those charges onto you.

But I do have to wonder why you purchased the item if you found those charges so objectionable.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply