Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Import Fees & the Global Shipping Program

I recently purchased two items from separate sellers on EBay.  The amount of each transaction was over $20 and both sellers listings indicated they were shipping under the Global Shipping Program.  However, when I went to pay, I was charged import fees for one of the sellers but not the other.  I looked at each of the sellers listings once again - one listed the estimated import fee and the other did not (it was listed as $0.) 

If both of these sellers are using the GSP, why was I not invoiced for import charges on both transactions? 

Will the import charges be something I have to pay for later?

Message 981 of 3,104
latest reply

Were the actual item costs both over CAD 20.00 ?

There shouldn't be import charges showing on an item valued at CAD 20.00 or less.

Message 982 of 3,104
latest reply

You shouldn't have to pay any charges later.

Shipping charges can be high for low value , lightweight items with the GSP, compared to USPS First Class International shipping or economy international.

Message 983 of 3,104
latest reply

From what I understand, the seller can't change it if you've already purchased the item. If there are no bids, the seller would have to revise the listing to remove the GSP.

Sellers are beginning to see that buyers are not happy with the GSP.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 984 of 3,104
latest reply

I suggest people use this Duty Calculator as a guide when purchasing. It's not binding, and just useful for informational purposes, but as far as I can tell, it's quite accurate. Of course, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this program is charging outrageous "duty" fees. All you need is some experience buying on eBay, Amazon or any online site and you'll know that there's a ton of things you don't pay duty on. Almost everything is duty free under about $200. (taxes are a different story)

https://www.dutycalculator.com/

All you're doing is paying for a company to ship your product, and act as an "agent" at the border. It's extremely limiting as a Canadian ebayer now, as I have to skip at least half of the auctions I come across, because they are adding exorbitant fees that I absolutely would NOT ever have to pay otherwise.

Message 985 of 3,104
latest reply

If you find that onerous, so be it,

It is not necessarily onerous.  It just seems to me that it is another fee on top of eBay fees on an item plus eBay final value fees on shipping plus PayPal fees.  Where does it end?

Message 986 of 3,104
latest reply

@puckstopshere wrote:

If you find that onerous, so be it,

It is not necessarily onerous.  It just seems to me that it is another fee on top of eBay fees on an item plus eBay final value fees on shipping plus PayPal fees.  Where does it end?

Last I checked, eBay wasn't a charity.  It's got to pay its own way somehow.

Having said that, how do the fees you're describing have a direct impact on Canadian eBay buyers?  Keep in mind that for international sales on .com, be they GSP or direct shipments, FVF are not charged on the international shipping charge.

Message 987 of 3,104
latest reply

janorah
Community Member

When sellers are using the GSP they are suposed to put the package weight & dimmensions in the listing so that the shipping can be calculated accurately.

It should be manditory that they can not move forward with the listing unless this information is completed.

There is no way a broken toy that weighs 3 ounces should be charged $27.00 to ship to Canada when other similar items do not.

As a buyer, something drastic needs to be done about the GSP. people are being ripped off.

Message 988 of 3,104
latest reply

janorah
Community Member

Sorry spelled dimensions wrong!

Message 989 of 3,104
latest reply

Yes my question is, I received a package that's damaged through GSP. The box itself was in perfect condition but the inside was a mess, I paid like $900 for this item and now I have something that's useless. Seller says I should file a claim through GSP's "Damaged Goods" section but I can't seem to find this link, can someone point me to the correct direction please?

Thanks

Message 990 of 3,104
latest reply

@johnydepp wrote:

Yes my question is, I received a package that's damaged through GSP. The box itself was in perfect condition but the inside was a mess, I paid like $900 for this item and now I have something that's useless. Seller says I should file a claim through GSP's "Damaged Goods" section but I can't seem to find this link, can someone point me to the correct direction please?

File an "item not as described" claim through the Resolution Centre.  The process may be a bit "clunky" for you and the seller as I don't get the sense that the GSP is really integrated with eBay's resolution process, but it should get sorted out in the end.

Message 991 of 3,104
latest reply

Mailing costs are partly dimensional and by weight, but they are also based on the destination and the service chosen.

The only thing that doesn't impact the mailing cost is the value of the item.

The value does have an impact on the duty and the taxes applicable. As does the place of manufacture.

So your 3 oz item could be quite large, or the seller may have had to ship it from Alaska to Kentucky (since this is a GSP item) before PitneyBowes reshipped it to Canada, or the seller may have chosen to insure it for a high amount or to use tracking rather than the cheaper Delivery Confirmation, or used express overnight shipping instead of regular parcel.

And if the 'broken toy' sold for a high price, $50 or $150, what you think is the shipping cost may be the sales tax (up to 15% of the selling price) or duty (if it were made in say, Germany, instead of the USA/NAFTA).

Sales tax is applicable even on used items, btw.

But I agree. The GSP form made out by the seller should have dimensions and also, perhaps more importantly the place of manufacture. The last seems to be the reason so many GSP parcels are being opened and repacked . PB needs to know whether they should be remitting duty to the Canadian authorities.

Message 992 of 3,104
latest reply

Thank you for the help!

Message 993 of 3,104
latest reply

I don't believe in any listing dimensions are required to be input. You could always message the sender and ask for specifics!

Message 994 of 3,104
latest reply

@janorah wrote:

When sellers are using the GSP they are suposed to put the package weight & dimmensions in the listing so that the shipping can be calculated accurately.

It should be manditory that they can not move forward with the listing unless this information is completed.

There is no way a broken toy that weighs 3 ounces should be charged $27.00 to ship to Canada when other similar items do not.

As a buyer, something drastic needs to be done about the GSP. people are being ripped off.

Agree.

And  this illustrates so much about this program that is buyer unfriendly, and what is frustrating.

a)erratic and inconsistent shipping charges that make no sense to the average buyer like you and me. To us it looks like we are being gouged re the shipping costs for  these light weight items. 

b)many thousands of items are listed with excellent shipping costs that are almost certainly not eligible despite being listed  (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RST-4-piece-Sectional-Sofa-and-Table-/351034889745?pt=Patio_Sets_Picnic_Table...

c)eligible listings are often a "wrong fit" for the GSP, these listings proliferate like mold. 

d)No attempt has been made to clean up this mess, much  less make certain fields mandatory, as they should be for this program to have a remote chance of working properly and generating accurate and competitive charges.

All this being said, there is that small percentage of items that are an excellent fit for this program, but they require a certain serendipity to find, and are certainly the minority, based on this thread it would appear. 

Anyone who enjoys a good conspiracy theory would almost suspect that a  deliberate effort is being made at some level to sabotage this program, that's how bad this is. Certainly there seems to be no commitment to make this work. 

Message 995 of 3,104
latest reply

I don't know if this is the right place for this but too bad. I bought an item a few weeks ago that shipped through the GSP but the listing was deleted right after shipping. I contacted the seller and he says it was deleted automatically by ebay because something about not supposed to ship replica pistols outside the US or something (I live in Canada, he lives in US). So anyway he sent me his USPS tracking number but that ended at the GSP facility in Erlanger, KY. So now I think my pistol is probably sitting in the warehouse or whatever because they don't have the information to send it on to me. What do i do?

Message 996 of 3,104
latest reply

@whever_69 wrote:

I don't know if this is the right place for this but too bad. I bought an item a few weeks ago that shipped through the GSP but the listing was deleted right after shipping. I contacted the seller and he says it was deleted automatically by ebay because something about not supposed to ship replica pistols outside the US or something (I live in Canada, he lives in US). So anyway he sent me his USPS tracking number but that ended at the GSP facility in Erlanger, KY. So now I think my pistol is probably sitting in the warehouse or whatever because they don't have the information to send it on to me. What do i do?

You'll have to initiate a Resolution Centre claim of non-delivery, just as you would a "regular" eBay purchase that you paid for but never received.

http://resolutioncentre.ebay.ca/

Reports suggest that this process may seem a bit weird, possibly because the Resolution Centre/PayPal isn't really integrated with the Global Shipping Program's quirks.

Message 997 of 3,104
latest reply

mwc1942
Community Member

A bidder buys through the GSP and needs to file a claim against seller.  Would buyer be better off filing a claim with eBay or PayPal and why? 

Message 998 of 3,104
latest reply

EBay.

Because if it is a Paypal claim, eBay will transfer it there and because the GSP contract is with eBay and not Paypal.

Message 999 of 3,104
latest reply

Because if it is a Paypal claim, eBay will transfer it there and because the GSP contract is with eBay and not Paypal.

I think this would be clearer as

Because if it is a Paypal claim, PP will transfer it to Ebay and because the GSP contract is with eBay and not Paypal.

But I don't think it is wise or possible to be dogmatic about this in the absence of internal evidence of actual claim processes.

Personally I'd say make a Paypal claim, but that is based on no more real evidence.

The nett result for claimants, however they proceed does seem to be better in the end for GSP buyers, since they do not have to pay to return damaged items or items that were incorrectly delivered. It appears that the GSP simply writes them off and claims from its insurers.

Message 1000 of 3,104
latest reply