Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

"The seller is to blame,  but not 100% .... eBay shares the blame."

No.  In this instance, the seller carries 100% of the blame.

There are plenty of reasons to blame eBay for this ill advised program.  However. that does not excuse sellers when they screw up.

Message 2021 of 3,104
latest reply

No Pierre, I disagree with you completely here, once again.

I absolutely consider eBay to have some responsibility here, they introduced this program to their venue, and  should have safeguards in place to ensure that this doesn't happen.

Something as simple as not being able to sell using the GSP without first completing some sort of rudimentary test ... or not being able to mark an item as shipped unless it has a label generated with the PB address.  These would be solutions. Instead, new sellers are enrolled in the program with no performance standards.

I feel the blame is squarely shared.

But I will not convince you, and you certainly won't convince me of your point of view. 

Message 2022 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi, Thank you for your comments, as this is something that should be flagged as a problem for E-Bay.

I must agree with Both :

pierre : Yes, Blame Shared, but more blame on EBay, see arlene ;

arlene : Yes, blame lies more on EBay for not having safe guards in place, this is a simple programming feature that can easily be implemented, any successful company places safeguards because, for it to be a successful service, ( if EBAY wants or cares to protect their image ), it needs to be a "Idiot Proof" service in the interest of both parties. This Idiot Proof Programming is not hard, and used by many companies that care.

I suspect EBay only puts their efforts and idiot proof programming into the "getting the money" part, rather than the " saving the consumer grief " part.

The seller is very accommodating to the point of refunding my money himself, however, its the principle, I have confidence in the seller, however, I have completely lost confidence in EBay, for a service that should be made user friendly, is that not the way of attaining and maintain happy customers ?

Message 2023 of 3,104
latest reply

I concur - it's a shared blame.

Ebay has done almost nothing to ensure the roll-out went smoothly.

Heck, some sellers don't seem to be aware they are using the program.

Ebay could easily add some programming safeguards to make the GSP more "idiot-proof".

But evidence suggests they have not done so.

Message 2024 of 3,104
latest reply

Thanks for comments and time,

I was just looking at my response to pierre and arlen, about blame, saying I agree with both pierre and Arlene, however, in re-reading it, I see pierre assessed that blame lies entirely on the seller, in that case, I should have then said, no, I do not agree with pierre 🙂

Shared blame on both parties, more heavily on EBay for not following up on proper ways to execute a service that they tout and should know better how to roll out any kind of marketing or service orientated program. Poor and unacceptable execution on their part.

Legally, yes, a case of sellers fault, but in the eyes of the consumer, EBay has lost this case in the form of confidence

( battles can be won, but wars lost )

Message 2025 of 3,104
latest reply

Update: went online to pursue this, nowhere on their website do they have a place to specifically address this situation.

I followed the resolution window pane process and clicked and clicked and continued to the point of GSP window box, however only allows you to either click product not received, etc..., nothing on actual problem of GPS.

Not surprised, now I have to spend another 10 minutes to find a phone number to call and more time wasted.

Simple solution, move on and I will be shopping elsewhere.

Message 2026 of 3,104
latest reply

Something I have always wondered...I was under the impression that the only address the seller received was the gsp address but they must have access to the buyer's actual address otherwise how could the bypass the gsp?

Message 2027 of 3,104
latest reply

Simple solution, move on and I will be shopping elsewhere.

Why not give the sellers that don't use the gsp a chance?

Message 2028 of 3,104
latest reply

"Why not give the sellers that don't use the gsp a chance?"

That's pretty much what I do.

Never made sense (cost-wise) for items I'm interested in to buy from GSP sellers.

Just recently won my first GSP auction - only placed a bid because total cost was reasonable.

Fingers-crossed there are no issues...

Message 2029 of 3,104
latest reply

Having recently purchased a vintage radio through e-bay it arrived damaged and not working as noted.  The response from seller was he purchased damage insurance coverage.  He told me to work through my post office.  the package couriered not through the post office but an independant parcel service who took over once the package crossed the us/canada border.  If the coverage is available to me how do I go about starting the claim process?    angeloangelo62

Message 2030 of 3,104
latest reply

Was this a GSP sale?

Different advice would apply to a non GSP sale.

Message 2031 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi, I'm from the US and I just sold an item for $150 to a person in Canada. Like others, I didn't realize I opted into this program. The buyer paid quickly, and that's when I saw the Kentucky shipping address. Once I realized what it was I started researching and found this thread. I read someone say that you could cancel the transaction, and set up another one without the GSP, but if I refund him will he get back the extra money he was charged by eBay or just the money that I got? Any help is appreciated.
Message 2032 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi Shelby!

Has the buyer contacted you asking you to relist this item without the GSP? 

Message 2033 of 3,104
latest reply

Once the package gets delivered to the where house before coming to Canada do we get a tracking number?

I ordered our with out a ebay account at the time.

I did get a ebay tracking number but can't get any were with it.
Message 2034 of 3,104
latest reply

"I did get a ebay tracking number but can't get any were with it."

Are you referring to the UPAA###### that is near bottom of your completed listing?

That takes a while to update.

Eventually it should tell you item arrived in KY, processed and cleared customs.

Then a new international shipping number appears. Click on that and it will give details on transit in Canada.

Message 2035 of 3,104
latest reply

yes I got that number. Thing is I orderd it using a guest account. I now have an actual account. It got delivered on the 12th and I have yet to get a confermation email that it has left the global shipping center

Message 2036 of 3,104
latest reply

I don't so much have a question as I do a comment. I buy a lot on E bay. I am also a seller from Canada. Personally, when I bid on something, I tend to build the shipping charge in to the final total of what I'm willing to pay. I tend to avoid anyone who uses Global shipping. What seems to happen on my end is, I have now prepaid for duty on something I RARELY get charged duty on, and the powers that be have decided to charge me taxes (12% on the total AFTER the dollar conversion!) and for the privilege of paying this tax, there is a 9.95 'Handling Fee." As far as I can see, the only people this is helping are Ebay itself, who I'm assuming is also getting a percentage as this would now be part of the shipping charges, and Pitney Bowes, because as I say, RARELY do I ever have to pay duty on what I purchase oh, of course, Canada customs, because they also get their 9.95 fee. It's actually quite offensive that through E bay's program, they have effectively forced me to pay duty on an item, not made in Canada, not sold in Canada, and not purchased in Canada. Sellers in the US are delusional if they think this will help there business. But kudos to the marketing genius that sold this to them.

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

Message 2037 of 3,104
latest reply

What seems to happen on my end is, I have now prepaid for duty on something I RARELY get charged duty on, and the powers that be have decided to charge me taxes (12% on the total AFTER the dollar conversion!) and for the privilege of paying this tax, there is a 9.95 'Handling Fee." As far as I can see, the only people this is helping are Ebay itself, who I'm assuming is also getting a percentage as this would now be part of the shipping charges, and Pitney Bowes, because as I say, RARELY do I ever have to pay duty on what I purchase oh, of course, Canada customs, because they also get their 9.95 fee. It's actually quite offensive that through E bay's program, they have effectively forced me to pay duty on an item, not made in Canada, not sold in Canada, and not purchased in Canada.

THe GSP fees are not part of the FVF on shipping that US sellers pay. THey pay only on thier lowest domestic price.  THe Canadian Post Office charges the 9.95 dollar collection fee, but not on GSP items. The PB fee is about $5. In general the import charges represent your provincial sales taxes, not 'duty'.

It is rarely any benefit to a buyer, but it was never meant to be. It's a comfort blanket for neurotic US sellers. Might as well have the facts straight though.

Message 2038 of 3,104
latest reply

Yes, I have a question: I pay almost 50 dollars for all shipping charges and got this number D42091583000362284901 and I would like to know where is my order? For 4 days my order is "in transit". Who is a carrier, and when can I expect it??? For 50 dollars I think we deserve better service. My other order was shipped directly to my for 8 dollars and I can see every day where is it and it will be delivered tomorrow.

Message 2039 of 3,104
latest reply

@chelseaboiz wrote:

I don't so much have a question as I do a comment. I buy a lot on E bay. I am also a seller from Canada. Personally, when I bid on something, I tend to build the shipping charge in to the final total of what I'm willing to pay. I tend to avoid anyone who uses Global shipping. What seems to happen on my end is, I have now prepaid for duty on something I RARELY get charged duty on, and the powers that be have decided to charge me taxes (12% on the total AFTER the dollar conversion!) and for the privilege of paying this tax, there is a 9.95 'Handling Fee." As far as I can see, the only people this is helping are Ebay itself, who I'm assuming is also getting a percentage as this would now be part of the shipping charges, and Pitney Bowes, because as I say, RARELY do I ever have to pay duty on what I purchase oh, of course, Canada customs, because they also get their 9.95 fee. It's actually quite offensive that through E bay's program, they have effectively forced me to pay duty on an item, not made in Canada, not sold in Canada, and not purchased in Canada. Sellers in the US are delusional if they think this will help there business. But kudos to the marketing genius that sold this to them.

Are you saying that you paid duty etc to the gsp and now that the item is being delivered you have to pay taxes and a $9.95 charge? If so, the seller may have sent the item directly to you rather than through the gsp and you should be able to get back the import fees from the gsp. You would have to phone ebay about that.

Message 2040 of 3,104
latest reply