Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

This GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM is a shameful fraud, that is ripping off Canadian Buyers, when they try to purchase from US sellers!

Moreover, many US sellers do not even seem to know how they got hoodwinked into using this shipping program, or understand the harm and additional expense this is causing to Canadian buyers.

Shame on you, eBay Canada, for allowing this disgraceful, deceitful, and costly gouging of Canadian eBay users to continue!

Shame on you!

Message 2141 of 3,104
latest reply

As a Canadian eBay buyer---I loathe this Global Shipping Program!

This GSP has been the worst ripoff I have ever been confronted with.

Shame on you, eBay Canada, for allowing this to happen and continue!

Shame on you!

Message 2142 of 3,104
latest reply

A Canadian eBay Buyers' suggestion:

Completely eliminate this unnecessarily complicated, unconscionably expensive, and unbelievably deceitful GSP program altogether!

Shame on eBay and eBay Canada, for allowing this GSP to continue!

Message 2143 of 3,104
latest reply

Is it really necessary to keep repeating the same thing in different posts? I think that anyone reading your first post understands your views on the gsp

Message 2144 of 3,104
latest reply

Post 1 --- A cautionary alert to Canadian eBay Buyers and American eBay sellers, that this GSP program is negatively impacting Canadian eBay buyers

Post 2 --- My personal experience, being on the receiving end of this GSP, and my expression of Shame to eBay Canada, for this personal negative experience.

Post 3 --- A response to the soliciting request (by eBay), for suggestions to modify the GSP.

Three differing objectives, therefore three differing posts!

Message 2145 of 3,104
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@vinandjess wrote:

Ah Canpar, they have a horrible reputation here in Toronto hence it looks like we'll have to arrange to drive to their depot in Etobicoke, Ontario from the east side of Toronto, because they don't know how to do deliveries, I have only once seen them actually delivering to my building, fun.  Overall, I can say that this eBay GSP shipping is quite questionable, my seller does regret the fact that he used GSP and will be discontinuing using it.  The really fun part is that he had read the Terms and Conditions on eBay, nothing mentions opening of the item.  I will make a separate post on the "Comments about the GSP" thread about our findings on that. 

I guess PitneyBowes or its lawyers figured that since the item is no longer the seller's responsibility once the Global Shipping Center takes possession of it, the possibility of the package being inspected need not be mentioned in the seller terms and conditions document.  It is mentioned in the buyer terms and conditions, of course.

Oh, and don't get too worried about delivery attempts to your door at this point.  Wait until you come to that bridge before you cross it.  For all I know, a different carrier may be used for deliveries made within the GTA than, say, rural Saskatchewan.

I think you're right on many aspects, yesterday I had not received any updates from eBay, hence I figured, "eh, wait something funny is going to show up on the tracking" I didn't get the actual in-Canada tracking number yet (to be honest, I highly doubt it would show up on the system either, people have enough problems with hangovers anyway), however, the ensuing update hilarity is well worth sharing.  Keep in mind, the last updates I had received were the ones on the 20th saying it was delivered to Erlanger, nothing about labeling or anything like that, just that USPS got it to PB.  Today there were a few updates shoehorned in on the 19th and then some updates were put in after in chronological order.  I have to say I literally fell off my chair laughing, it was in-office workday for me, so I had to point and laugh at my screen and share, I'm sure this is going to bring a chuckle to someone out there:

Bear in mind I have omitted the first half of my tracking, this is merely the second half thus far.

Monday, Jun 22, 2015 9:43 PM N/A Customs Cleared
Monday, Jun 22, 2015 2:39 PM MISSISSAUGA , ON In Transit with Destination Carrier
Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 7:57 PM Erlanger Shipped from the Global Shipping Center to International Destination
Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 2:06 AM ERLANGER , KY Arrived at the Global Shipping Center-Delivered
Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 2:06 AM ERLANGER , KY Delivered
Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 2:06 AM ERLANGER DELIVERED
Friday, Jun 19, 2015 7:42 PM Erlanger Customs Documentation and Labeling
Friday, Jun 19, 2015 6:18 PM Erlanger Processing at the Global Shipping Center
Friday, Jun 19, 2015 7:31 AM ERLANGER , KY In Transit-Arrived at Post Office
Friday, Jun 19, 2015 7:31 AM ERLANGER , KY Arrived at Post Office

Life happens, but when it's worth laughing when things get awry like this.  I think I'm going to send Pitney Bowes folks a coffee some day, good ol' Tim Hortons coffee that is.   

I know this is not going to help anyone who's been spun around by the GSP but I think it's best to just put your buzzer code as part of your address on the address lines, relax and only check GSP tracking once every two days, it will get there.  Some times it will go back in time, but it will get there. 

I am rather jealous of my package, Kentucky is a fine state and I've been told that Erlanger is especially beautiful at this time of the year. 

Message 2146 of 3,104
latest reply

@vinandjess wrote:
Bear in mind I have omitted the first half of my tracking, this is merely the second half thus far.

Monday, Jun 22, 2015 2:39 PM MISSISSAUGA , ON In Transit with Destination Carrier
Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 7:57 PM Erlanger Shipped from the Global Shipping Center to International Destination
Saturday, Jun 20, 2015 2:06 AM ERLANGER , KY Arrived at the Global Shipping Center-Delivered

Life happens, but when it's worth laughing when things get awry like this.  I think I'm going to send Pitney Bowes folks a coffee some day, good ol' Tim Hortons coffee that is.   

I must be missing something.  What I see is that your item was scanned at the Erlanger post office Friday morning, scanned again at the Global Shipping Center a couple of times in the evening, and then delivered to the freight carrier in the wee hours of Saturday.  It was scanned again by the freight carrier before leaving Saturday evening, although I'd say it was more likely that the entire freight shipment got "scanned" and the information filtered down to your order.

At least, that's how I interpret the two different entries for the Global Shipping Center.  I don't think the GSP tracking system is programmed with appropriate dialogue to deal with scans from the freight carrier, if that makes any sense.

Message 2147 of 3,104
latest reply

belp5637
Community Member

a parcel was shipped on june6,2015 and I was given a global tracking # but as of today there has been no updates at all as to the parcels whereabouts.tried to contact ebay but there seems to to be no direct way to do it ! all I wanted to know does global have it or is it with usps. if it is with usps what was the tracking # that was given to ebay?

Message 2148 of 3,104
latest reply

@belp5637 wrote:

a parcel was shipped on june6,2015 and I was given a global tracking # but as of today there has been no updates at all as to the parcels whereabouts.tried to contact ebay but there seems to to be no direct way to do it ! all I wanted to know does global have it or is it with usps. if it is with usps what was the tracking # that was given to ebay?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're not even able to see tracking information from the seller's location to the Global Shipping Center?

Message 2149 of 3,104
latest reply

yes. all I have is ,LAST SCANNED-N/A, PACKAGE LOCATION  is blank, GLOBAL TRACKING#-that is there, SHIPPING STATUS is blank, SHIPPING CARRIERS-says multipule carriers.  the only message that comes up when I check the tracking # is check back in 3 to 5 business days! thank for your help.

Message 2150 of 3,104
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@vinandjess wrote:

I must be missing something.  What I see is that your item was scanned at the Erlanger post office Friday morning, scanned again at the Global Shipping Center a couple of times in the evening, and then delivered to the freight carrier in the wee hours of Saturday.  It was scanned again by the freight carrier before leaving Saturday evening, although I'd say it was more likely that the entire freight shipment got "scanned" and the information filtered down to your order.

At least, that's how I interpret the two different entries for the Global Shipping Center.  I don't think the GSP tracking system is programmed with appropriate dialogue to deal with scans from the freight carrier, if that makes any sense.

Indeed, what I think happened is that the scan data just came it later and it simply populated in order tracking in just a slightly some bizarre fashion (the data from GSP on the 19th was not there before the weekend, it simply appeared after the weekend), I tend to to see this happen to Fedex as well after weekends, you end up getting all kinds of messy data like this.  

As of right now, there has been no updates since that last one, I'm willing to bet CBSA at Mississauga has some kind of backlog from the weekend to clear out, especially since they would have to end up verifying in some way that the import fees collected by PB is showing up some where.  Perhaps later this morning or in the afternoon some data or the package itself might show up.

I personally think the transport to, plus layover at Erlanger, combined with the extra steps at clearance is probably what might be frustrating some of the buyers, everybody is used to the holeshot from USPS to CP with little delay, add an extra step and the understanding goes out the window.  Heck, I found it alarming at first, this is my first GSP package, I normally field about 8-10 incoming a month with the split being 50/50 between Fedex and CP hence, I've been spoiled to the point where I can predict which flight my Fedex packages come on between Memphis and Toronto and now understand that things like GSP packages will take time.  It should be noted that  I'm not paranoid, I'm extremely busy and rarely have time to drive across to depots during business hours therefore tracking is less about the security of the package, it's more about making sure someone is available to the courier or delivery person, with a smile, ready to receive.

As for GSP even though I am the kind of person who feels that shipping does take time and duties should be paid, I think the process may need some streamlining, perhaps by adding a few more PB centres here and there. 

Message 2151 of 3,104
latest reply

azzo1984
Community Member
I want to buy an very expensive item from Japan. How much customs fees will I have to pay going to Toronto? I believe the item cost with shipping $1522.00 cdn.
Message 2152 of 3,104
latest reply

This question has nothing to do with the Global Shipping Program (GSP) as it is not available from Japan.

As far as duty is concerned, the rate will vary depending on the type of goods you are importing.

Then add GST/HST - the rate will vary depending on your province.

The brokerage fee will depend on the shipping method used. If coming by mail, Canada Post only charges $9.95, regardless of value. 

Other carriers such as Fed-Ex, UPS, etc... charge a fee depending on the value of the goods imported.  For a Cdn$ 1,500 shipment, expect fees of $95 to $105 (plus tax)

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/menu-eng.html

Message 2153 of 3,104
latest reply

The item is a German made RC Radio Transmitter
There will be duty and tax as well as the PB service fee, because the item was not made in a NAFTA signature country (Canada, USA, Mexico, Chile).
If the seller did not mark it as made in Germany , it may well be opened.

they don't know how to do deliveries, I have only once seen them actually delivering to my building,
You live in an apartment?
Couriers are reluctant to leave items in apartment buildings. Too much chance of theft unless there is a concierge (not just the superintendent).

Message 2154 of 3,104
latest reply

If you want to pay any import/tax/duties only once...DON'T  use or support sellers that use the Global Shipping Program.

Contact the seller before bidding and insist on actual cost for shipping to your location. I sell and ship everything actual cost to anywhere worldwide, if there is an overpayment I REFUND,

That is how a seller is supposed to do business. The GSP enriches the shippers and ebay and has nothing to do with anything other than their pocketbook.

Customs will still charge you what is owed and handling fees.......the GSP means nothing to them.

Message 2155 of 3,104
latest reply

Customs will still charge you what is owed and handling fees

Not if the seller handles the package properly. If they send  the package directly to the buyer instead of to the gsp depot in Kentucky,

then the package will go through customs so there is a chance of being charged for taxes and duty. But

in that situation, the buyer would be able to get back their import fees from the gsp since the program wasn't used.

Message 2156 of 3,104
latest reply

I don't think 'insisting' is a very good idea.

A polite request is more likely to get a positive answer.

Message 2157 of 3,104
latest reply

Global shipping charges fees that do not exsit else where why jhave bought a few motorcycle parts from usa used never had to pay duty or import fee but golab shipping chargew these they are also the most expenise way to ship anything since ebay has been useing globar shipping there business is down 30 percent

kalvin@ebay.com wrote:

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

Message 2158 of 3,104
latest reply

Global shipping charges fees that do not exsit else

The GSP import fee is made up of Canadian duty, Canadian sales taxes and a $5 or so service fee.

Any import valued over $20 should be assessed for duty and taxes.

There is no duty on items manufactured in NAFTA countries (USA Canada Mexico Chile) but may be assessed on items sold in those countries.

CBSA and Canada Post don't usually bother to assess low value (under $100 ~) imports on the basis that it would cost the taxpayer more in labour costs than could be collected. Commercial shippers (like UPS) must collect these legal fees.

since ebay has been useing globar shipping there business is down 30 percent

Actually American eBay sellers have been encouraged by the GSP to sell internationally since it was designed to soothe the often paranoid and xenophobic impulses of our neighbours.

Sellers need only prove delivery to the GSP plant in Kentucky, after that responsibility for delivery is accepted by the GSP.

The GSP is a bad idea for Canadian buyers of items under $100, because of the informal CBSA policy noted above.

Over $100, it is often cheaper and offers the buyer more choice, from sellers who previously would not ship outside the Lower 48 states.

Message 2159 of 3,104
latest reply

I have no doubt this has been answered already so I'm sorry for those who are annoyed. I'd like to know if I buy an item from the USA of about 300-350$ value that uses the GSP, will I have other fees to pay when the item reaches my door? I live in Qc, Canada. Thank you very much

Message 2160 of 3,104
latest reply