Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

@lorraine_carol wrote:

I can't imagine the headache this is for you. The majority of US sellers do not realize the GSP IS optional, NOT mandatory.

I would go one step further and state that I think that a good number of US listings with the GSP on them are being sold by sellers who do not realize it's even being offered.

@lorraine_carol wrote:

Anytime I have cordially requested a seller to remove the GSP, the response has always been 'ebay will not allow it', which of course is not true. 

If my recollection is correct, a seller cannot edit a listing so that the GSP is not on it.  The listing has to be cancelled completely and the listing redone.  Apparently, items can be listed with the GSP for some applicable countries and not others, but I'm not sure if that can be changed with an edit.  Is there anyone out there who's been following this saga non-stop who's more up on this and can elaborate?

@lorraine_carol wrote:

If your item was shipped via United States Postal Service you would have paid no extra. Canada has not paid duty for years. As for the tax, parcels randomly are examined. I have made online purchases from the USA from box stores through their online catalogs anywhere from $50 to $200. and have not paid duty or tax. It just depends if Canada Post selects the package for examination.

It's actually Canada Border Services that examines the packages, not Canada Post, although Canada Post collects the service charge for items charged taxes and applicable duty.  (Yes, even under NAFTA there are some items that are still subject to duty.)

Keep in mind that many US box stores and online retailers actually use programs similar to the GSP but fold their "import charges" into either the item's price or the shipping rate.  I used to wonder why some of my wife's US purchases were "shipped" from Canada and had some weird anonymous Canadian return address on the shipping label.  Now that I've found out more about how the GSP works, I realize that address is of a logistics firm or freight forwarding business.

@lorraine_carol wrote:

Buyers are going to pay through the nose if any seller ebay or otherwise uses a courier service such as Pitney Bowes, FedEx, UPS for cross border buying. If ebay is not going to abolish the GSP I wish they'd let the buyer have the option to choose it or not choose it upon purchase.

While the GSP doesn't seem to work well for the majority of US listings, it's because sellers aren't aware they're using it so it's showing up for inappropriate items:  smaller, less expense items that can be shipped as oversize letters (First Class International / small packet).  For larger items--particularly ones where the seller has listed "free" domestic shipping--the GSP's shipping charge plus the import charges can add up to an amount comparable to and even less than than USPS's Priority International shipping.

I suspect what happened in Happyyakman's situation is that an attempt was made to somehow rejig the shipping arrangement after the listing closed and a confused seller made a hash of it.

I just found a listing for an item similar to the one that Happyyakman purchased and the seller wanted US$49.00 to ship it directly to Canada through the post office, an amount about the same as the shipping and import charges on Happyyakman's listing.

Message 2181 of 3,104
latest reply

"I suspect what happened in Happyyakman's situation is that an attempt was made to somehow rejig the shipping arrangement after the listing closed and a confused seller made a hash of it."

Actually, I suspect the buyer, not the seller is confused about the values.  If you add the shipping charge and the import charge and add 35% for converting US$ into Cdn$ you get the answer (total additional charges of about $64).

In other words, that transaction through GSP may end up costing the buyer a few dollars less than if shipped directly by the seller to the Canadian buyer, assuming the seller would even ship directly to Canada and could do it for less than US$12 (very doubtful for a $229 item)

Message 2182 of 3,104
latest reply

^^ X2

I have very seldomly paid import charges on small packets, so if GSP charges them upfront, 100% of the time, where does that money go?

Message 2183 of 3,104
latest reply

"...so if GSP charges them upfront, 100% of the time, where does that money go?"

Taxes and import fees to Cdn Govt and also a handling fee for Pitney Bowes.

Message 2184 of 3,104
latest reply

Heck if I know "why" I paid it, I checked my CC statement and there the charges were. It's not like I agreed to it line-by-line, it just happened. My options are "pay it" or "pay it and yell at a cloud", so I'm doing the second one. I was wrong about the "additional" part though, that all seems to be included in the purchase price.

I do understand that international shipping is more expensive than domestic, and that a lot of sellers will tack on extra handling fees because it's inconvenient for them. That said, the "import charge" is a complete crock. When shipping parcels with USPS I've had to pay brokerage exactly once (and that was to PBB Global Logistics) and taxes about half the time, usually on new products worth well over $100. Now we pay for brokerage every time plus whatever arbitrary surcharge P-B feels like hitting me for. But again, I have nobody to blame for this but myself because I agreed to the GSP terms because I'm an idiot.

I didn't know domestic shipping was free because I didn't care because I'm not in New York.

Message 2185 of 3,104
latest reply

I suspect what happened in Happyyakman's situation is that an attempt was made to somehow rejig the shipping arrangement after the listing closed and a confused seller made a hash of it.

Naw, once I realized what was going on I just let it be; I wasn't about to go back and make the seller jump through even more hoops. A deal is a deal. I was a bit crossed-up on where the shipping fee went because I was using a different exchange rate, the math I did just now makes a lot more sense.

Here's the thing though - the value of the item really doesn't make it any physically larger or heavier. Shipping a box about the size of a small clock-radio to Ottawa from New York might set me back $20, maybe $30. I ought to owe taxes on it, but half the time CBSA decides that's just not worth their misery and when they do I always pay it cause Canadians love paying our taxes :). But GSP charges that every single time. There's also the minor matter of having to wait for my box to go from NY to KY, sit in a depot for a dog's age, then get rerouted back to me here.

Just out of curiosity, which parcel service do they use to send these boxes around? I'd like to know which quarter of Narnia I'll be driving to so I can retrieve my box from whatever accursed depot it ends up at.

Message 2186 of 3,104
latest reply

"the value of the item really doesn't make it any physically larger or heavier. "

Of course it matters.

Put yourself in the seller's shoes for a minute.  If shipping an expensive item (US$229) to a foreign country, you would most likely require a shipping service providing you with tracking and possibly signature of recipient.  That would cost a lot more than putting the item in a large envelope with a few dollar stamps on it.

The other thing to remember is that the item may not have been available for shipment directly to Canada.  Many American sellers are happy to ship domestically and limit their (perceived) risks. That ability to purchase an item not otherwise available may justify having to wait another week or so to allow for the transshipment.

Message 2187 of 3,104
latest reply

Of course it matters.

Put yourself in the seller's shoes for a minute.  If shipping an expensive item (US$229) to a foreign country, you would most likely require a shipping service providing you with tracking and possibly signature of recipient.  That would cost a lot more than putting the item in a large envelope with a few dollar stamps on it.

Still doesn't make the parcel any bigger or any heavier. A USPS tracked small parcel insured for $200, no signature confirmation, mailed directly to my house would've been perfectly fine with both of us. Postie drops it in the box, it's there when I get home, everyone's happy. Trouble is we didn't get that option, GSP simply showed up, announced I'M HELPING! and decided on one of the most expensive, least convenient means for me. Worked great for the seller though, so good for that guy. Seriously, no sarcasm, it's 5-star awesome from the seller's perspective.

If I were ok with it being shipped from Kentucky on Friday, I'd have waited until Friday and ordered it from Kentucky. Instead I sorted by nearest first and picked one of the best options from that pack, which apparently didn't actually mean anything after all 🙂

Message 2188 of 3,104
latest reply

"A USPS tracked small parcel insured for $200, no signature confirmation, mailed directly to my house would've been perfectly fine "

Maybe you should spend a few hours on eBay with American sellers shipping directly to Canada and typically charging $20 to $40 for relatively small light packages.

I know it is difficult for us Canadian to think like American sellers but the reality on eBay (and elsewhere online) is that most American sellers selling items worth more than US$200 will not use low cost shipping services when shipping outside their borders.

Message 2189 of 3,104
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Maybe you should spend a few hours on eBay with American sellers shipping directly to Canada and typically charging $20 to $40 for relatively small light packages.

Oh I have, it's a frustrating dance. Reasonable price, good feedback record, item in the condition I wantaaaaaaaaand he wants $texas for shipping... NEXT! I'm not unused to waiting weeks for an item to pop up unsold again and again until the seller finally knuckles under and agrees to take actual shipping cost plus a $10 handling fee on an item worth well over $200. Most of the time though, they're pretty nice and very understanding; if you say UPS pummels you at the border a lot of them will happily pick a better [legal] option.

In some cases I've messaged sellers to ask if the price I'm seeing really is what they're asking for and some of the time they do offer to cut a bit of a break. The truth is that shipping to Canadians is annoying! Gotta go to the post office, wait in line, talk to a person, fill out the green form by hand, who wants to do that? Certainly not the power sellers. Finding one that does is a pleasant relief but I'm sure a great many buyers find that hunt discouraging so they welcome the door that GSP opens that door for them. Good for those people. It also reduces the likelihood of sellers gouging on shipping to make up for low listing prices and avoid paying ebay fees - but then again if you do business with a seller like that and you get ripped off then you deserve what you get.

I just miss having the option to discuss alternatives in an environment that allows it. With the misconception among sellers that GSP is somehow mandatory, that's just become even harder.

Message 2190 of 3,104
latest reply

@happyyakman wrote:

Just out of curiosity, which parcel service do they use to send these boxes around? I'd like to know which quarter of Narnia I'll be driving to so I can retrieve my box from whatever accursed depot it ends up at.

Your item will be part of a pallet of commercial freight being sent to a receiving hub in Canada.  Once that pallet is broken up, the carrier taking the item to its final destination (i.e. you) will depend on the logistics firm contracted out to handle your item and what shipping agents the logistics firm deals with.  Canada Post and Canpar get mentioned a lot in discussions about the GSP, but there may be others.

Message 2191 of 3,104
latest reply

marnotom! wrote
  Canada Post and Canpar get mentioned a lot in discussions about the GSP, but there may be others.

Not the worst punishments I can think of. Thanks!

Message 2192 of 3,104
latest reply

US sellers do not have to go into their local post office to purchase shipping labels to Canada or abroad. They can easily purchase their shipping labels through paypal. I've been a Canadian seller for ten years with 99.9% of my items going to the USA. I do all of my shipping online via paypal. It's easy as shipping a domestic parcel with the exception of a few extra seconds. When I used to buy on ebay, I have in the past received parcels from USA sellers who've printed their shipping labels online. The majority of sellers would have a set of postage scales (weight/dimensions are required for domestic shipping too) and not much more info is required other than the "what" is being mailed and "what state" it's being mailed from. Best, Lorraine
Message 2193 of 3,104
latest reply

You are right, lorraine. Printing the label at home is perfectly reasonable.

Does USPS pickup international parcels at the seller's door, as they do for domestic?

Many sellers don't seem to understand this.

We Canadians can drop any parcel for any destination in a corner postbox.

Apparently, since the days of the Unibomber, all parcels have to go to the post office. At one time, this was the PO counter, but more recently someone noticed that handing the parcel to an actual USPS employee on the doorstep was probably even more secure.

Message 2194 of 3,104
latest reply

Awesome, just when I thought ebay couldn't get any shadier., they're now collecting taxes and import charges for the Canadian Government to compensate for the Canadian custom's laziness.

What a huge lack of respect to Canadian customers.

"Hey your customs seemed to have trouble doing their jobs or something, so now WE will overcharge you, and we'll even pass some of that money of yours on to the company who damaged your purchases

Thank us later"

I can't believe this is legal practice.

Message 2195 of 3,104
latest reply

they're now collecting taxes and import charges for the Canadian Government

And many other governments since the GSP is used for all exports to all countries.

This is not an unusual practice, by the way, many companies (like LL Bean) who distribute catalogues in Canada but ship from the USA also assess and remit duty and sales tax to Canadian governments and have for decades.

On the brighter side, we seem to have attracted a couple of poets to the Board:

aaaaaaaaand he wants $texas for shipping...
I'd like to know which quarter of Narnia I'll be driving

Can I steal the texas one? Pretty please??

Message 2196 of 3,104
latest reply

Good for LL beans I guess, except it's not my problem if the canadian customs choose to pull out such a tiny fraction of incoming parcels for taxes and fees...

Ebay is simply compensating for their leniency at the border, which makes amazon an instantly better option for Canadians. Also, most stores who operate on ebay accept phone orders as well and ship USPS so why even use ebay anymore?

Message 2197 of 3,104
latest reply

"Ebay is simply compensating for their leniency at the border, which makes amazon an instantly better option for Canadians. Also, most stores who operate on ebay accept phone orders as well and ship USPS so why even use ebay anymore?"

Unfortunately for us buyers, those options are not available for many items - Collectibles being one that stands out.

If one is trying to purchase older / "classic" items options are very limited.

Message 2198 of 3,104
latest reply

@jaypsee wrote:

Ebay is simply compensating for their leniency at the border, which makes amazon an instantly better option for Canadians. Also, most stores who operate on ebay accept phone orders as well and ship USPS so why even use ebay anymore?

From the (admittedly limited) comparisons I've done between identical items listed on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca, what Amazon seems to be doing is folding "import charges" into the item's selling price, so you're still paying the equivalent of taxes plus a processing fee that might be even higher than PitneyBowes'.

Message 2199 of 3,104
latest reply

My question concerns opting out of the GSP during the make an offer option.  I recently placed an offer that specifically requested that the seller NOT use the GPS.  My offer was accepted, so I made my payment through Paypal & I was charged $14.37 US to Pitney Bowes anyway!   When I contacted the seller, they didn't know how to remedy the situation but have mailed directly to me as I requested, using USPS.  The seller would normally mail to Pitney Bowes when using the GPS, correct?  The seller has acted in good faith so I have no complaint with them however can I get a refund from Paypal for services NOT rendered by Pitney Bowes?

Thanks,

Heather

Message 2200 of 3,104
latest reply