Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

No that doesn't help it make sense at all.

Even if shipping was $9.38 and import charges were $9.54, that still leaves just $9.54 for taxes and handling fee. Taxes in Ontario should be $16.90.  Considering I would pay the same in Alberta as the poster in Ontario, she seems to be getting a good deal.

But the charges should be consistent and they are not and that is frustrating for many of us. 

For example, item 141952631392  $35  + $15.57 shipping/import  (free shipping within the U.S.)

Same product in smaller packaging - total weight and total price are much less yet the import charges and shipping are only about $3 less? 

Or

Item 191843934730     $43.99 + $10.32 + $11.31   (free shipping in $U.S.)

The total shipping and import charges are higher than the ones purchased for $130

Sorry, but I can't see the sense in any of that.

Mods - I am not pointing out any infractions on these listing or about the sellers...simply trying to figure out how the import charges figured out by a third party are set.

Message 2581 of 3,104
latest reply

Exactly.

When I look at the numbers in relation to my transaction the simplest thing is to take the taxes right off the top because that's the one and only value that is (or should be) a constant.

The rest of the numbers are unknowns and vary.

That's why I presented the calculations the way I did.

Message 2582 of 3,104
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Even if shipping was $9.38 and import charges were $9.54, that still leaves just $9.54 for taxes and handling fee. Taxes in Ontario should be $16.90.  Considering I would pay the same in Alberta as the poster in Ontario, she seems to be getting a good deal.

Pretty much what I was pointing out in post 2574 when I noted that the shipping rates to three provinces and one territory were exactly the same.  Note the part about PB's possible use of a contingency fund.  In effect, buyers in the provinces where GST is just charged on a GSP shipment are subsidizing those where HST is charged.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

But the charges should be consistent and they are not and that is frustrating for many of us. 

For example, item 141952631392  $35  + $15.57 shipping/import  (free shipping within the U.S.)

Same product in smaller packaging - total weight and total price are much less yet the import charges and shipping are only about $3 less? 

Or

Item 191843934730     $43.99 + $10.32 + $11.31   (free shipping in $U.S.)

The total shipping and import charges are higher than the ones purchased for $130

Sorry, but I can't see the sense in any of that.

You do have to admit though that even sellers using USPS can have shipping rates for the same item that are all over the map depending on how they handle the issue of handling charges or if they choose to use parcel post rather than letter post to ship internationally.  That's no less frustrating for buyers, or at least for this buyer.

Keep in mind that Pitney Bowes likely pays its shipping contractors nothing like what they're charging us.  After all, PB has employees to pay, various overhead costs to recoup and shareholders to keep happy.   I suspect the portion of the "import charges" that's not earmarked for tax/duty repayment is barely marked up and most of the mark-up is front-loaded onto the shipping charge.  There may be an experiment going on to see how much Canadian buyers are willing to bear, hence the inconsistency in charges for listings of similar items.

For what it's worth, I've seen a few C$20+ GSP listings with no "import charges" where the shipping charge on the listing page is only a smidgen more than what it is on the search results page.  I think it's pretty obvious where those charges have gone, though.

Message 2583 of 3,104
latest reply

buying 2 sports card from same seller with GSP

Your eBay Shopping Cart

FIRST CARD 

C $6.40

Expedited(7-14 business days)
International Priority Shipping
+ US $11.44
C $14.66
Import charges
+ US $0.00
C $0.00

SECOND CARD

C $6.40

Expedited(7-14 business days)
International Priority Shipping
+ US $8.52
C $10.92
Import charges
+ US $0.00
C $0.00

Subtotal (2 items):
C $12.79
Shipping to "Ontario":
C $25.58
Import charges:
C $0.00

Total:
C $38.37

without GSP

CARDS: C $6.40 x 2  = C 12.80 + S/H C 14.66 = C 27.46 

Import charges: C $0.00 x 2

GSP total: C $38.37

vs

no GSP total: C $27.46

difference of C $10.91 into eBay pockets - BILLIONS EXTRA

eBay extra fee cuts the seller of C $10.91 which hikes total and scares away buyers.

when seller could just add the second card (0.50 fee per) in with the first s/h envelope...

like it was done before.

travel: USA to Canada

Seller mails order, stops at border (clearance) then to destination

GSP : Seller mails order, stops at bs (KY), then stops at border (clearance) then to destination

GSP you get 2 stops for an extra C$10.91

compare to 1 stop. 

eBay  answer...then don't buy.

just my two cents...not buying 2 cards anymore...answer: then don't buy.

Message 2584 of 3,104
latest reply

@kaffalp wrote:

eBay  answer...then don't buy.

just my two cents...not buying 2 cards anymore...answer: then don't buy.

Just like you likely wouldn't buy those cards if the seller were using over-the-top express mail to send them.  It would be cost-prohibitive.

The best method to send something that can be shipped as a letter is by letter mail.  No two ways about it.  The GSP is not set up as a letter mail forwarding service.

Message 2585 of 3,104
latest reply

Hey guys,

I've bought an item on April 12. The item is located in California and I'm from Canada.

It was shipped through the Global Shipping Program and the estimated date of delivery was April 23th - May 4th.

The things is that the tracking never worked (But I do have a tracking number) and the estimate delivery date change everyday.

Now the estimate date is May 26 - June 7th.. Tomorrow it will be May 27th - June 8th...

I've opened a case today with ebay.

Anyone experienced this kind of problem?

Thank you

Message 2586 of 3,104
latest reply

Of course.

That is why the Item Not Received complaint system exists.

If PB/GSP cannot prove delivery (not shipping , delivery) you will be refunded in full.

If your seller' shows delivery to Erlanger KY (where the GSP plant is) , she did her job properly and is not responsible for the problem.

Another poster told us how to track through GSP.

TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery

Message 2587 of 3,104
latest reply

mrasile
Community Member

I just had a shipment stopped and returned to the seller because it was referred to as "restricted from international shipment".  But no reason was given as to why.  It was hair growth solution called Minoxidil 5%.  Now over 2 years ago an Rx was required in Canada to get that but I just read the following quote in a Health Canada document:

"...the Minister of Health intends to revise the listing for minoxidil by increasing the concentration from 2% to 5% for human nonprescription use...."

So why would my shipment have been turned away if it's legal to get this concentration without a prescription now?  Why is it "restricted from international shipment"?

Message 2588 of 3,104
latest reply

"...intends to revise..."

... does NOT mean it has already been approved.  You should take the time to check with the Minister of Health when the change will take place.

Message 2589 of 3,104
latest reply

To keep it simple. liquids are prohibited from GSP shipping, see the list of prohibited and restricted items.

Message 2590 of 3,104
latest reply

Thanks... the document further stated that it would be revised within 6 months of that dated document, which was Feb. 2014.  I just didn't paste the whole thing in as it was too long.  I've also seen that concentration of the product sold on shelves under different name brands so I'm fairly certain it has passed.

Message 2591 of 3,104
latest reply

Thank you.  That's interesting, I didn't know liquids were prohibited (perhaps that's just through GSP)?  I've ordered this product from the US several times with no problems but it came via USPS.  I'm hoping that will still be a shipping method that would work in this case.  Thanks for all your replies.  🙂

Message 2592 of 3,104
latest reply

liusy641
Community Member

Bid a $20 usd used lens from the US of A, paid more than $30 for GSP.... and shipping is slow via all the indirect hubs...first and last time

Message 2593 of 3,104
latest reply

Lol I live in Canada and I receive Packages from all around the world, on average 20 packages per week delivered to my Canadian address!  I bid on E-Bay and buy and sell items mainly from Thailand and India.  when the sellers make up my packages for delivery they mark my package as gift and they lie about how much the package is worth and not once has the border services ever opened one of my packages to see if the value of the item is in fact what the seller says it is!  I have never paid any extra so called E-Bay charges or cross border charges you are all talking about, I think you are all in dream land here!!!  Also E-Bay will always refund me My cost of an item that I paid for as well as the shipping cost on any item that does not reach my address!  Don't know what your all **bleep**ing about but you all sound like a bunch of Babies lol   As far as your **bleep**ing about Pitney Bowes, Inc-  I had ordered Two MXQ controllers from Pitney Bowes about a month ago that never showed up to my address! There were no extra charges in this order like you are all **bleep**ing about!  Also Pitney Bowes inc Fully refunded me for this purchase right back on my credit card so where is the scam there dumb !  Lol I received the two MXQ controllers today so now I received my order and a full refund for my late deliverey.  I contacted Pitney Bowes inc to tell them that I received my order after they refunded me the money back and they told me to keep the money, because my shipment was late!     Your all doing things the wrong way if you ask me.  Maybe learn how to communicate with your sellers before they actuallY SHIP YOUR ITEMS and at that point if your not satisfied you can cancel your order!  Yes its as simple as that!  If your still going to keep **bleep**ING about E-BAY, get off the **bleep** site and stop ordering **bleep** !!!  Get a life!!!     Just Saying!!!     LOLOOL!!!

Message 2594 of 3,104
latest reply

" they mark my package as gift and they lie about how much the package is worth :"

That is clearly against the law but.... it is your decision to deal with such sellers

Message 2595 of 3,104
latest reply

I have had nothing but frustrations about the global shipping program. I have been awaiting shipment of my items now for 2 months. Ebay claims no responsiblity as it has "several different parties" involved and cannot provide a solution. Due to a error in the shipping label my items were shipped to my workplace and refused by a coworker. That alone apparently means I'm out my $800 CAD purchase. I have been communicating with ebay about this since April and still have not received my items, a refund or any type of resolution. And it is pretty common to have issues with the Ebay global shipping program. I was assured by my first communication that a new shipping address was added and its being shipped out in "7 to 21 business days". That time has long since passed and I have no end in sight to this nightmare. The 30 day policy does not apply, because its over the 30 days, and for all purposes Ebay says I refused it so they aren't responsible for it anymore. As a customer this just shows me that the global shipping problem is a great way to ensure everyone is protected, except the buyer. The more I research this the more similar experiences I see about the "shipping hubs". What a terrible business practice. Ebay what do I have to do to get this resolved?

Message 2596 of 3,104
latest reply

You do know that Paypal allows 180 days for Disputes right?

Due to a error in the shipping label my items were shipped to my workplace and refused by a coworker.

The error was not eBay's and not the GSP's.

It was possibly the seller's, but she can only use the address YOU put in Paypal.

It is probably yours, first for not checking the address you put on your PP payment and second for not informing your colleagues that the parcel would be arriving.

As a customer this just shows me that the global shipping problem is a great way to ensure everyone is protected, except the buyer.

The GSP is a Seller Protection Policy, meant to protect US and UK sellers against unwarranted claims of non-delivery by providing a cheap (to the seller) method of tracking.

It is my understanding that, rather than returning undeliverable or refused packages to the sender (the Seller), it is the practice of the GSP to auction or destroy them.

Your seller's responsibility ended when the purchase was delivered to the GSP in Erlanger KY.

Try Paypal.

If they refuse (because the parcel was delivered to the address you supplied) go to the credit card you backed your PP account with and try a chargeback on the basis that you did not recieve the parcel even though it was delivered.

But it looks like you shot yourself in the foot on this one.

Message 2597 of 3,104
latest reply

Due to a error in the shipping label my items were shipped to my workplace and refused by a coworker.

The error was not eBay's and not the GSP's.

It was possibly the seller's, but she can only use the address YOU put in Paypal.

It is probably yours, first for not checking the address you put on your PP payment and second for not informing your colleagues that the parcel would be arriving.

The item arrived with NO NAME on it at all. Just the street address. How is that my error? I cannot control that the label arrived with no name on it... I have never had this problem before. Paypal denied the claim as Ebay stated it was delivered, albeit it was delivered back to the Hub.

Message 2598 of 3,104
latest reply

My item is being sent to you and i would like to cancel it. It is a Betty boop lamp with a licence plate on it. My name is Cindylou Scott. I would like you to cancel the order because i ordered the wrong one.  I live in Windsor Ontario.

Thanks so much

Message 2599 of 3,104
latest reply

You need to contact the seller directly. (use the PayPal email address where you sent your payment and/or the "ask seller a question" on the listing.

Nobody here on this discussion board  can do anything to help you in this situation.

Message 2600 of 3,104
latest reply