Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

If the item has already been sent by the seller, there is no way to cancel it. You will have to do a change of mind return at your expense.

Message 2601 of 3,104
latest reply

It's been a while since I've commented on GSP as I have not purchased much on ebay lately.

I recently won a bid for a collectible (272269185331) that showed item bid price, shipping charge and an import charge of U.S. $0.00.

However,when I went to pay for the item an "import charge" of $7.51 appeared on the invoice.

I thought buyers were supposed to see the amount it would cost us when buying a GSP item.

In this case the extra cost did not appear until Invoice was sent.

Why would that happen?

Message 2602 of 3,104
latest reply

@mater721 wrote:

It's been a while since I've commented on GSP as I have not purchased much on ebay lately.

I recently won a bid for a collectible (272269185331) that showed item bid price, shipping charge and an import charge of U.S. $0.00.

However,when I went to pay for the item an "import charge" of $7.51 appeared on the invoice.

I thought buyers were supposed to see the amount it would cost us when buying a GSP item.

In this case the extra cost did not appear until Invoice was sent.

Why would that happen?

Did you end up paying  $7.51 more than the original item cost plus shipping cost? Or, on the invoice was the shipping cost $7.51 less than on the listing? Perhaps they break the amounts down on the invoice?   Just a guess...

Message 2603 of 3,104
latest reply

Listing...

(Winning) bid = US $19.80

Shipping =         US $ 20.39

Import Chg =     US $ 0.00

Invoice...

Item              = US $19.80

Shipping    =  US $ 18.50

Import Chg = US $ 7.51

So shipping went down slightly but the "import charge" appeared.

A net loss vs the amount shown when I was bidding.

Weird.

Message 2604 of 3,104
latest reply

I would also bring this specific problem to the attention of Raphael on the Wednesday session.

It is clearly an eBay problem - they are the one giving you conflicting information and asking you to pay different amounts. 

I know eBay may typically try to put the blame of PayPal or PB or someone else but - in this specific instance - the blame is clearly on eBay and they should take care of you instead of you having to communicate with PayPal to solve the problem they created.

Message 2605 of 3,104
latest reply

Convenient scam, forcing buyers to pay shipping twice. The least Ebay can do is acknowledge that fact...BE HONEST...like Ebay users are instructed to be. By openly admitting you have to pay shipping twice when using the GSP **bleep**, the buyer can then make a decision on whether it is worth being screwed to get the item in question.
Message 2606 of 3,104
latest reply

@marshallcabs222 wrote:

Convenient scam, forcing buyers to pay shipping twice. The least Ebay can do is acknowledge that fact...BE HONEST...like Ebay users are instructed to be. By openly admitting you have to pay shipping twice when using the GSP **bleep**, the buyer can then make a decision on whether it is worth being screwed to get the item in question.

It's explained in the GSP terms and conditions for buyers that buyers presumably read before decided whether to purchase from a seller using the GSP.

Having said that, I've maintained for some time that it might have been better to name this program "The Global Forwarding Program" or some other name that more clearly explains the role that Pitney Bowes plays in all this.  It would likely help manage buyer and seller expectations a tad better.

Message 2607 of 3,104
latest reply

So basically what are we paying for???
I'm paying an import fee which sounds like a magical fee that has no purpose at all...
Import fee to me would be covering duty and customs fees so I don't have to pay them upon arrival of my item at my door.

Seriously what does this service provide to the seller or buyer other than increasing the price of said item!?
Message 2608 of 3,104
latest reply

"Import fee to me would be covering duty and customs fees so I don't have to pay them upon arrival of my item at my door."

That is more or less correct.

The "import fee" charged by Pitney Bowes and paid through PayPal approximates the taxes (GST/HST) payable (based on your province) plus duty (if applicable) plus a handling fee.

You do not need to pay anything at time of delivery to you.  Taxes and fees have been prepaid.

Message 2609 of 3,104
latest reply

sidd_abun
Community Member
How long does it take to process a package at the eBay's global shipping center?
Message 2610 of 3,104
latest reply

@sidd_abun wrote:

How long does it take to process a package at the eBay's global shipping center?

I'd say it depends on the nature of the item, how much information the seller has provided the Global Shipping Center on the item prior to shipping it, and the volume of items being processed.

Generally, two to three business days seems to be typical.

Message 2611 of 3,104
latest reply

Recently ordered 3 2pk Kirkland Signature Safety Coated Enteric Aspirin 325, 500 Tablets Each.  261313402362.  It was turned back by Global Shipping because it was deemed to be restricted from international shipment.  Because we have successfully ordered this product through Pier Mall (only 2 pks)  I am wondering if the reason for the restriction was the number of pills which totalled 3000.  Would you know?  Can you suggest a maximum number of tablets that would be acceptable?

Message 2612 of 3,104
latest reply

Check the Canada Border Services Agency website.

Also Health Canada. There are some restrictions on the sale of ASA, even though for the most part it is grandfathered.

I've read (on the internet, so it must be true!) that if ASA were introduced as a new drug today it might not be allowed as an over the counter medication.

Message 2613 of 3,104
latest reply

ginosef
Community Member
How can I figure out what shipping company takes over after the boarder? I had an item shipped to a Po box and then reading gsp faq it seems they don't ship to Po boxes? Tracking tells me it has cleared customs, so what shipping company do I contact to add a normal address to my order?
Message 2614 of 3,104
latest reply

@patricikingston-0 wrote:

Recently ordered 3 2pk Kirkland Signature Safety Coated Enteric Aspirin 325, 500 Tablets Each.  261313402362.  It was turned back by Global Shipping because it was deemed to be restricted from international shipment.  Because we have successfully ordered this product through Pier Mall (only 2 pks)  I am wondering if the reason for the restriction was the number of pills which totalled 3000.  Would you know?  Can you suggest a maximum number of tablets that would be acceptable?

I think you're probably correct about the quantity being an issue.  This page from the Canada Border Services site suggests that the quantity of non-prescription drugs in a personal import cannot exceed a 90-day supply:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-9-1-eng.html

If the Pier Mall shipment was sent directly by mail, it probably squeaked through the inspection process.

Message 2615 of 3,104
latest reply

@ginosef wrote:

How can I figure out what shipping company takes over after the border? I had an item shipped to a Po box and then reading gsp faq it seems they don't ship to Po boxes? Tracking tells me it has cleared customs, so what shipping company do I contact to add a normal address to my order?

The shipping company used is up to the subcontracted logistics firm that processed the item when it hit Canadian soil.  That logistics firm is likely going to have scads of packages (GSP and non-GSP) to deal with, so even if you were able to get in contact with its operations, it's far from a given that your package is going to be tracked down easily.

Since these logistics firms seem to use Canada Post pretty regularly (particularly for smaller items), what may happen is that an on-the-ball human being will see your package or the shipping information associated with it and ensure that it gets sent off in the mail.

Message 2616 of 3,104
latest reply

How can I figure out what shipping company takes over after the boarder?

It's usually Canada Post-- and even couriers will sub-contract their shipments to Canada Post when the recipient is in a rural or isolated location.

Another poster put together this information:

TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery

Also  it's 'border' .  Yes, I am the Spelling Police. Don't get me started on 'sell' and 'sale'.

Message 2617 of 3,104
latest reply

I have had many packages sent to me through this program and it's always been fine. But now I have been waiting for a package for almost a month. Tracking has not been updated since June 13th (it is now June 30). I have no doubt the package did not get scanned somewhere along the line and is just sitting in a warehouse. This is a very hard to find item so I would really like to get it, rather than the money. 

So is there someone I can contact to get them to look for the package? I can't find ANY information on who to contact about this!

Thanks!

Message 2618 of 3,104
latest reply

@scott2eh wrote:

I have had many packages sent to me through this program and it's always been fine. But now I have been waiting for a package for almost a month. Tracking has not been updated since June 13th (it is now June 30). I have no doubt the package did not get scanned somewhere along the line and is just sitting in a warehouse. This is a very hard to find item so I would really like to get it, rather than the money. 

So is there someone I can contact to get them to look for the package? I can't find ANY information on who to contact about this!

Thanks!

If you have the time and patience to go through these threads, you'll find instances where the online viewable tracking of a GSP item dead-ends once the item reaches the Global Shipping Center in Erlanger, KY.  Your item may be in transit, but for whatever reason, the tracking information isn't getting transmitted to eBay.

Pitney Bowes has a customer service line.  Its number is 1 (888) 727-0781.  Have the tracking information that you've been provided when you call and you may be able to find out more about the item's whereabouts.

Message 2619 of 3,104
latest reply

Another poster put this guide together a few months ago.

TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery

Message 2620 of 3,104
latest reply