Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

@michaelv2505 wrote:

I just recieved an e-mail from the global shipping program stating my purchase was returned because it is a restricted item 

How can a camera lens be a restricted item 

If whoever the carriers are with the Global Shipping Program don't want to transport the item--for whatever reason--it can become "prohibited" or "restricted" I guess.

Message 2681 of 3,104
latest reply

Post specifics and I can possibly tell you.

Message 2682 of 3,104
latest reply

@michaelv2505 wrote:

I just recieved an e-mail from the global shipping program stating my purchase was returned because it is a restricted item 

they are just making it impossible for Canadians to use E-Bay

UNBELIEVABLE 

had better luck with just the post office

I don't think a camera lens should be a restricted item.  I got curious so looked it up and this is the eBay Help and Information page about prohibited GSP items.  Its funny because almost everything is on this list yet almost all of them are available for sale with GSP tacked on.  I couldn't find anything that would be a camera lens but if you are going to buy from GSP again see the list to avoid this problem in future:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html#prohibited

My opinion is that the best thing is to simply avoid buying GSP items altogether, don't even look at a GSP listing.  Too late for this one now but did you get a full refund?  If not then file to get your money back now.  It is really rotten that the GSP offers items for sale internationally then doesn't let the buyer have the items once it is paid for.  Be sure to get back every last cent you paid for it.

Message 2683 of 3,104
latest reply

i stopped buying on ebay

i will not deal with global shipping or give the thieves any more money

they ship all over the place takes three times longer

the charges are out rages

Message 2684 of 3,104
latest reply

cran_phyl
Community Member
Hi I'm buying items that r less than a pound package can u give me a break on shipping cost from Canada ty
Message 2685 of 3,104
latest reply

This is a member to member board for Canadians.

If you are worried about the cost of shipping from the USA using the Global Shipping Program , you have to contact your seller, not here.

There is a Contact Seller button on the listing.

Ask questions BEFORE buying. Once you buy it is basically impossible for your seller to drop the Global Shipping Program.

You can ask her BEFORE buying if she is willing to make a new listing just for you that ships using the USPS First Class International Parcel service. Let her know that this service includes Confirmation of Delivery, since that is the usual reason US sellers enroll in the GSP.

https://ircalc.usps.com/

Note that the cost of shipping is not necessarily lower with this program.

Otherwise, avoid the GSP by Searching using List View, double checking your Searches on a laptop or desktop rather than a mobile and by looking for these words on the listing:

Customs services and international tracking provided

which are your warning that the GSP will be used by the seller.

The GSP charges you import fees that cover Canadian Sales Tax, Canadian duty and a ~$5 service fee. These are levied when the value of the item is over $20CDN (~$16USD). These are charged before the seller is told to ship.

If your import is over $20CDN in value, but your seller is not using the GSP, you may be charged these fees on your doorstep.

Weight has nothing to do with it. Value and origin of the items are the bases for duty.

Message 2686 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello,

In tracking my item through the Global Shipping Program (from the U.S. to Canada), I noticed that it now has three different tracking numbers associated with it. But my order only constitutes a single item. The order has yet to arrive, but the multiple tracking numbers are causing me some concern.

When I click on the "Track your package" link in the shipping update notification e-mail that ebay sent to me yesterday, the order is displayed as three different packages. Each "package" seems to coincide with a different stage in the shipping process. Again, the item I ordered is only a single item and could not be sent in more than one package. Is it normal for a single package to be assigned different tracking numbers along its shipping route?

Thanks for your help,

David

Message 2687 of 3,104
latest reply

3 carriers, 1 from seller to Kentucky, 1 from KY to Canada, aqnd one from Canada depot t you

Message 2688 of 3,104
latest reply

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. I've had a couple of things shipped from the U.S. that seemed to have only one tracking number from seller to me. So it sounds like either case can be considered normal.

Message 2689 of 3,104
latest reply

@davicampbel56 wrote:

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. I've had a couple of things shipped from the U.S. that seemed to have only one tracking number from seller to me. So it sounds like either case can be considered normal.

If the seller is using shipping software that automatically emails tracking information to the buyer, that's likely where you're getting the first tracking number from.  

Generally speaking, the GSP is supposed to generate a tracking number that's good for the entire shipment, but the door-to-door information isn't always viewable online.

Having said that, the best way to know that you've got your item is if you're sitting with it in your hot little hands.

Message 2690 of 3,104
latest reply

lodz-77
Community Member

I am really aggravated by the Global Shipping Program. This is next in the row experience with this huge mess which I am going to describe.

My conclusion is the GSP company is a money scrapers and doing it by surprise actions. I really would like to avoid the involvement of GSP in buying on eBay. I propose to allow the buyers to have the option - "I do not want GSP". The seller should also respect the buyer wish and provide other shipping option. I prefer to  deal with my country custom office directly, they in fact do not charge me for small items - and it is correct. The big corporations rather should pay the right tax, which they do not.

Now, let me explain what today happened. I was biting on an item and the shipping was mentioned 19.+ (The import charges was at 14.99 mentioned 0.0. I bought the item for 16.49, and here start surprise.  The shipping pop-up with 15.39 and shipping charges 7.31, total 22.70. Thus I got $2.70 surprise. IF THERE WAS 0.0 IMPORT CHARGES at START WHY THE SUPPRISE between 14.99 and 16.49?

There are other items I am going to buy, in one case there is at 30 price with 0.0 import charges; at second at 28 price with 9.+ import charges. It is total mess and kicking mathematics around the GSP relations. REMOVE THE KICK - nobody likes such dribbles. The payment level should be at all time clear and easy to calculate - this is auction - a rapid decisions... hmm.. rapid suppresses/kicks in...

IT IS NOT CORECT. Shut down the GSP!!!!!!

Everybody protest and GSP doing in its own American way...be ashamed!!!!

Regards,

Andrew

Message 2691 of 3,104
latest reply

@lodz-77 wrote:

IF THERE WAS 0.0 IMPORT CHARGES at START WHY THE SUPPRISE between 14.99 and 16.49?

At current exchange rates, US$14.99 converts to approximately CDN$20.00.  Between US$14.99 and US$16.49, the tax/duty-free limit for a casual import sent by mail or courier into Canada was exceeded.

Message 2692 of 3,104
latest reply

Adding my hate to the GSP.

Bought two separate items from a US seller and there is no way in hell to  avoid paying full price shipping on both items, as if shipped separately.

Fun times. These are collectible posters. Score one more for the rip-off artists at pitney-bowes.

Message 2693 of 3,104
latest reply

Quick question about the Global Shipping Program.  I bought a book from a seller who is not all that familiar with the system.  She sent me via PM a domestic USPS tracking number, so I know the package has been shipped.  However, she did not use an eBay or PayPal label, so the package was not automatically marked as shipped.  She also has not manually marked it as shipped and uploaded the domestic tracking number.  As such, I have no Global Shipping tracking number.  I have asked her to mark it as shipped and add the number, but so far she has not done so.  I've got a nasty feeling this package is going to arrive in Erlanger and they won't have a clue what to do with it.  Is there any hope that they can figure this one out, or am I likely to have to write this one off?

Message 2694 of 3,104
latest reply

Don't babysit your package. Keep an eye on the last estimated delivery date and if you haven't received it by that time, or if the date keeps being pushed back, open an Item Not Received claim, stating that the item was shipped with the GSP (this part is very important for your claim to be processed properly.)

You will receive a full refund including the portion of your payment that went to Pitney Bowes. If the package arrives after your refund, it will be a free item because the GSP does not support returns and the seller has been paid. But hopefully your package will arrive in due time and you will be happy with your item.

Message 2695 of 3,104
latest reply

I'm hoping it arrives too, but I've got a nasty feeling the shipping center will be receiving a hand addressed package with no identifying information on it, and maybe not even in it, as she mentioned something about not having "high tech printing facilities".  Wait and see, I guess.  It is a older book much sought after by collectors, and does have some value to it, so I hope they don't just ditch it if they can't match it.  I know I can buy it elsewhere if I have to, but it will be considerably more expensive if I have to go this route. 

Message 2696 of 3,104
latest reply

Panic over.  Seller finally marked as shipped (five days after it actually shipped) and uploaded domestic tracking information, so I now have a Global Shipping number.  Just in time, too - it arrived in Cincinnati this morning.  Probably be next week sometime before it works its way through the system and reaches Canada.

Message 2697 of 3,104
latest reply

chrigoul95
Community Member
I have an email notice saying that there has been 2 arrempts for delivery. And i have 10 days to pick up my package. I live in alberta canada. Where would i pick this up?
Message 2698 of 3,104
latest reply

@chrigoul95 wrote:
I have an email notice saying that there has been 2 arrempts for delivery. And i have 10 days to pick up my package. I live in alberta canada. Where would i pick this up?

Who sent the notice? If it is a Canada Post notice should will be an address telling you the postal outlet to go get it.  There should also be a phone number so you can call there if you need to.  If it is from a courier they will also have contact information so you can find out where to go.  This is a message board among users so no one here will know the who, what, where.  Right now you know more than us.  Just look over the notice and find the contact information.  If from top to bottom there is none, Google "[sender] Canada phone number" or whatever to get it that way. 

Message 2699 of 3,104
latest reply

@slickemslick wrote:

Adding my hate to the GSP.

Bought two separate items from a US seller and there is no way in hell to  avoid paying full price shipping on both items, as if shipped separately.

Fun times. These are collectible posters. Score one more for the rip-off artists at pitney-bowes.

If you put the items in a cart, the gsp automatically does give a shipping discount. 

Message 2700 of 3,104
latest reply