Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Hi there,

I live in Canada and I recently made a purchase on eBay and the package was shipped from Hawai via the Global Shipping Program. I've been receiving these periodic updates via email to help track the package. Yesterday while I was out in the evening, I received an email notifying me that a delivery attempt was made. When I came home there were no delivery slips at my door. Since then I have received no follow-up on the package. I'm trying to figure out what's the move, but I don't even know who's the final carrier. Help!

Message 2701 of 3,104
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@slickemslick wrote:

Adding my hate to the GSP.

Bought two separate items from a US seller and there is no way in hell to  avoid paying full price shipping on both items, as if shipped separately.

Fun times. These are collectible posters. Score one more for the rip-off artists at pitney-bowes.

If you put the items in a cart, the gsp automatically does give a shipping discount. 

One of the problems with using the cart to combine GSP items is that many buyers and sellers seem to be unaware of it. Again, eBay should have a message pop up, advising buyers to use the cart if they plan on purchasing more than one GSP items from the same seller.

Another problem is that (AFAIK, and maybe someone who has used the cart for GSP items can either confirm or debunk this) it only works if you purchase similar items. Two shirts will combine, but one shirt and one wallet will not. This adds yet another layer of confusion, as if one more was needed!

@goodguyvsbadguy wrote:
Hi there,

I live in Canada and I recently made a purchase on eBay and the package was shipped from Hawai via the Global Shipping Program. I've been receiving these periodic updates via email to help track the package. Yesterday while I was out in the evening, I received an email notifying me that a delivery attempt was made. When I came home there were no delivery slips at my door. Since then I have received no follow-up on the package. I'm trying to figure out what's the move, but I don't even know who's the final carrier. Help!

If the item is small, the carrier is likely to be Canada Post. If it's large then it could be Canpar, and I seem to recall that Fedex is also sometimes used. The level of service will be the most basic, cut-rate service.

Keep an eye on the last estimated delivery date. If your package hasn't arrived by then, open an Item Not Received case, stating that the item was shipped with the GSP. This is very important for your claim to be processed correctly so that you can be refunded in full.

If your item arrives after your refund, it will be a free item because the GSP does not support returns and the seller has been paid.

You could also try sending a message to heidi@ebay.  She seems to pop up on the .com boards to answer a few GSP questions every now and then.

Message 2702 of 3,104
latest reply

nnikmb
Community Member

It seems i can no longer track items that are shipped using the global shipping program through my carrier.... whats up? and why is the carrier tracking number no longer posted?

Message 2703 of 3,104
latest reply

@nnikmb wrote:

It seems i can no longer track items that are shipped using the global shipping program through my carrier.... whats up? and why is the carrier tracking number no longer posted?

There used to be a statement in the GSP terms and conditions stating that the program offered online viewable tracking, but that was deleted a while back.  My guess is that there are technology issues that prevent a GSP's tracking information from being transmitted from Pitney Bowes to eBay.  AFAntiques posted once that he observed in the UK this information being manually entered into eBay's system.  This probably has to be done for US GSP items as well for the tracking to be viewable online by the buyer and it doesn't always happen.

Message 2704 of 3,104
latest reply

Hello,

This is my first time using EBay's GSP service and I've just received an email that my item is on it's way and that they are writing to inform me that my recent GSP item has shipped from the Global Shipping Center (Erlanger, KY-Winnipeg, MB). How many days should I expect to receive it? I'm trying to keep positive since I thought a week would be more than enough time to ship one simple item..     

Message 2705 of 3,104
latest reply

@jasminepichor wrote:

This is my first time using EBay's GSP service and I've just received an email that my item is on it's way and that they are writing to inform me that my recent GSP item has shipped from the Global Shipping Center (Erlanger, KY-Winnipeg, MB). How many days should I expect to receive it? I'm trying to keep positive since I thought a week would be more than enough time to ship one simple item..     

Days?   That 2-part shipping system means GSP items take longer than those that come directly through the mail but yours seems to be doing fine and is on its way.  Once it leaves KY it will travel to Canada to get passed on to Canada Post (always very slow) but you could have your item by next week.  The main thing is that you know for sure it is coming. 

Message 2706 of 3,104
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

Days?   That 2-part shipping system means GSP items take longer than those that come directly through the mail but yours seems to be doing fine and is on its way.  Once it leaves KY it will travel to Canada to get passed on to Canada Post (always very slow) but you could have your item by next week.  

Great explanation, Vivian, although I'd describe it as a three-part shipping system because of the "passing along to Canada Post" (or whatever carrier ends up handling the item within Canada) part.  Smiley Happy

Message 2707 of 3,104
latest reply

zaccunh_8
Community Member
Hi I purchased online from the US. It been a week passed the date of delivery. It's also said that it has already been delivered to my door but I dnt have anything nore did I get a note or key to let me know I have a package . It said that it reached canada on the tracking list but as soon as it did It stopped so I'll I ask is if you could help me tell me where my package is in Canada . The only info I have is the domestic tracking number for the USA and the global tracking number ebay gave me . Thanks
Message 2708 of 3,104
latest reply

@zaccunh_8 wrote:

Hi I purchased online from the US. It been a week passed the date of delivery. It's also said that it has already been delivered to my door but I dnt have anything nore did I get a note or key to let me know I have a package . It said that it reached canada on the tracking list but as soon as it did It stopped so I'll I ask is if you could help me tell me where my package is in Canada . The only info I have is the domestic tracking number for the USA and the global tracking number ebay gave me . Thanks

Hi, there.  We on this discussion board are eBay users like you, so we can't tell you where your package is.  There have been posts similar to yours that have popped up on here recently, though, so you're not alone.  Here are a few things to consider.

1.  I'm not sure what the "it" is that says that your item has been delivered to your door, but does it actually say that it was delivered to whatever your address is, or is it a generic message that says the item has been delivered to its "destination"?

2.  Since there are at least three stages to shipping an item through the Global Shipping Program, there are at least three different destinations to consider:  the Global Shipping Center in Kentucky, a hub in Canada where the item is received and re-shipped, and the buyer's location.  Since you say the tracking information has now dead-ended, the message you received may be referring to the Canadian hub, not your front door.  Or it may be referring to another hub within Canada if the carrier initially used within Canada doesn't serve your location.  Your item may still be on its way.

Having said that, if the item really is a week past its last estimated delivery date and the seller shipped your item out promptly, a call to Pitney Bowes (the administrators of the Global Shipping Program) may be in order.  A telephone number I found elsewhere on this discussion board is 1-866-235-9627.  Have your global tracking number ready.

Please let us know how this works out and what you learn from Pitney Bowes.  It would help us to help others.  A lot.

Message 2709 of 3,104
latest reply

Following up.

Another phone number for contacting Pitney Bowes that's been posted on this board is 1-888-727-0781.

Message 2710 of 3,104
latest reply

Forget calling Pitney Bowes, they could give you the runaround.

If you are past the last estimated delivery date and your package hasn't arrived, the time has come to open a claim. When you do, make sure to mention that the item was shipped with the GSP. That is the only way for your claim to be processed correctly. This way, you will get all of your money back, including the portion that went to PItney Bowes. The seller will keep the money from the sale and will not be penalized.

If your item arrives after your refund, it will be a free item because the GSP does not support returns and the seller has been paid.

Do not contact the seller for a resolution. He/she is out of the loop at this point and can only confuse matters. However, out of courtesy, you may let them know that their funds will be frozen for a few days (this is how the GSP operates, although no one knows why) before being released. It is strictly up to you whether you want to do this.

Message 2711 of 3,104
latest reply

@00nevermind00 wrote:

Forget calling Pitney Bowes, they could give you the runaround.

For what it's worth, both those telephone numbers were obtained from posts to this discussion board where the posters concerned mentioned that they received very helpful service from the CSR on the line.

Message 2712 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi there, where can I track my order? I need to find out if I'll receive my items before the weekend. If I dint can I refuse the order? Also, how dues reimbursement work? If I get it before Friday everything will work out perfectly! 🙂 thx!
Message 2713 of 3,104
latest reply

@marimastroiann-0 wrote:
Hi there, where can I track my order? I need to find out if I'll receive my items before the weekend. If I dint can I refuse the order? Also, how dues reimbursement work? If I get it before Friday everything will work out perfectly! 🙂 thx!

No, you can not refuse the order.  This is mail order, and that means it will be slow.  GSP items tend to be especially slow.  If you need things by a certain date it is up to you to buy them well in advance.

If this is a GSP order you should have been given a tracking # for the FIRST  leg of the journey where the parcel goes from the seller to Kentucky.  It will show "delivered" to Kentucky, but that is only Part 1. 

You should be getting email updates about tracking on a regular basis after that.  Some here would have us believe you'll be drowning in tracking info, but I have a bit of trouble with that one, myself. 

You can always call Pitney-Bowes and give them your purchase info if none of the "tracking" links work and you have not been given any updates. 

If you are foolish enough to think you can refuse your parcel, the internal tracking (the package IS tracked, its just that you are not always given the info) will show you refused it and you will not get your item or your money.  Buyers are not allowed to order things, refuse them, and then demand refunds.  If you try and file a claim for Not Received, the internal tracking will show the item is on its way and your claim will be denied. 

If you REALLY do not receive an item  the tracking will show that it either got lost or wasn't sent  and THEN you can file a legitimate claim. 

Message 2714 of 3,104
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

You should be getting email updates about tracking on a regular basis after that.  Some here would have us believe you'll be drowning in tracking info, but I have a bit of trouble with that one, myself. 

When I ordered an item through the GSP back in September, I received 4 e-mail updates:

1. arrived in Erlanger

2. departed Erlanger

3. cleared customs

4. delivered

Whether or not that can be considered "drowning in tracking info" is a matter of personal opinion.

Message 2715 of 3,104
latest reply

@thestuffofchris wrote:
When I ordered an item through the GSP back in September, I received 4 e-mail updates:

I am glad it worked out so well for you and that you had a happy time of it.  It's just that your experience has not been shared by most users, including marimastroiann-0.  I'm reluctant to take 1 or 2 people's experience and conclude that the system is "New & Improved" and will be really good from now on.  But like you said, a matter of opinion. 

Message 2716 of 3,104
latest reply

Another poster worked this out for buyers who have not yet received their GSP shipment.
TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery

Message 2717 of 3,104
latest reply

I understand and, believe me, I'm definitely not in the camp that believes it is "New & Improved". I have only used the GSP twice, and although my experiences were mostly positive (not perfect, mind you), I used the knowledge of everyone else's negative experiences to carefully weigh my options before even considering using it.

I was just posting my experience with the update e-mails specifically to provide some insight into the buyer's after-purchase experience, since I know many users have purposely avoided the GSP and may not know what a buyer sees.

Message 2718 of 3,104
latest reply

Can someone tell me why a smartwatch would be a restricted item from the US and what I should expect now? KY has had my item for 14 days. I have opened an item not received case but ebay just put it on hold because tracking still says in transit. GSP is saying "special handling review". How long should I have to wait to know if it is going back to seller or cleared to me? This is my first bad experience buying a product through ebay.
Message 2719 of 3,104
latest reply

Not really.

But they might be checking to see where the watch was made, which affects duty (but not sales tax). Sellers often put down their own locations rather than the place of manufacture.

It is also possible that this kind of item generally, or the seller specifically, has been flagged for counterfeits.

How long should I have to wait to know if it is going back to seller or cleared to me?

Fourteen days does seem a long time. Even if it arrived in Erlanger on Oct. 31, that's nine business days.

The GSP is poor at letting the recipient know where the shipment is after they complete their assessment.

It's very likely that your item has already passed and is now in transit again.

Another poster worked this out for buyers who have not yet received their GSP shipment.
TRACKING SYSTEM FOR GSP
It's not user friendly... But I found how to track your package via the global shipping program, once it gets to Canada you need to:
- Log on to eBay.ca
- Under the My eBay menu select Purchase History
- Under your orders find the specific order.  It should have something like the following:
        Estimated delivery Mon, Jan 11 - Thu, Jan 21
        Tracking number: Tracking number UPAAB000000#########
- Click on the UPA number.  This should open up a Shipment Details window, which should contain something like this:
     This shipment has been transferred to CPC for delivery to the final destination # 70351#########
-Click on the Canada Post number to see where the Canada Post Tracking history and expected delivery

However, the normal practice if a counterfeit is discovered by customs officials (or as in this case thier subcontractors) is to destroy the product.

Not to worry.

If you do not receive your watch by the last estimated delivery date that eBay gave you, go to the Resolution Centre and open an Item Not Received Dispute.

The first suggestion is to contact the seller. While this would be polite, this is nothing to do with her.

In the Dispute, state that the shipment was being handled by the Global Shipping Program.

If the GSP cannot prove delivery, you will be refunded.

Message 2720 of 3,104
latest reply