Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Just so everyone knows, in Canada you do not pay duty on any item valued at under $60.

This Global Shipping  (Don't  bleep me) is a HUGE scam and most US sellers I have spoken too don't even know they are in it.  Ebay is currently losing money due tot he fact MOST Canadians refuse to buy from US sellers using a program that scams more money from us.

GET RID OF THE GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM NOW!!!!

There is no need for it at all, there never was.

Message 1461 of 3,104
latest reply

"Just so everyone knows, in Canada you do not pay duty on any item valued at under $60."

Maybe you should have a discussion with the federal government.  The law states $20, not $60 (except for imports that you bring personally if you cross the border, then the exemption is $200, but that is a different story)

From the government of Canada website: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

This link has already been offered in several posts earlier on this long thread.

Now, that is the law.  In practice, several shipments valued at less than $100 may be waived through by Canada Customs without taxes being levied.  However, if a Customs inspector decides to charge tax on a $21 shipment... the importer (buyer) has no choice but to pay the tax and the flat $9.95 service charge levied by Canada Post.

On the other hand, when imports come through couriers (UPS, Fed-Ex, etc...) or forwarders (Pitney-Bowes and many others) they are obligated by their bond to charge taxes (and duty if applicable) as per schedule.  They have no flexibility.  They would lose their rights to clear goods through Canada Customs if they did not obey the law.

eBay has advised American sellers not to use GSP for transactions averaging $50 or less.  Unfortunately, looking at most eBay search results, the majority of American sellers do not pay attention and use GSP when not appropriate to do so.

"Ebay is currently losing money"

You may want to check the most recent financial results published by eBay last week.  Their profits are still going up despite the many problems they face.

Message 1462 of 3,104
latest reply

My comment above is NOT an endorsement of GSP.  Far from it.

I believe GSP is flawed. From the beginning I have blamed eBay for not educating American sellers properly on the proper use of the program and its consequences on foreign buyers.

eBay has made no effort - and they could if they wanted to - to prevent sellers from listing low priced items where GSP is not appropriate for the buyer.

Yes, there is a need for GSP for some American sellers in some circumstances. However, that is not the way eBay implemented it.

Some improvement has been made by allowing American sellers to exempt some countries (Canada for example) from the program but most sellers are not aware they could do that or why they should. 

All sellers can think about is making additional sales - outside their country - without having to worry about Customs paperwork and without risk to their DSRs ---  and all that at no cost whatsoever to themselves since all additional costs are paid by the foreign buyers.

Message 1463 of 3,104
latest reply

I did post an answer to your question last night. I'm not sure if you saw it...post 1454.

Message 1464 of 3,104
latest reply

GSP non delivery, I did open dispute today. Within hours dispute is escalated by Paypal and closed: "In response to your claim, the seller has provided proof of shipment
indicating that the item was shipped to you. Because the seller was able to
provide proof of shipment, we cannot reverse this transaction or issue a
refund. We encourage you to continue to work directly with the seller to
amicably resolve this matter. " Seller clearly provided USPS shipping info to Erlanger, not to the final destination, which is Canada. He knew Pitney Bowes tracking is not showing departure. What about proof of delivery? Isn't that what matters?

So much for "protection". What is next for me? Call paypal, open ebay case? Appeal claim decision? I will not use GSP or maybe even ebay/paypal if this is not justly solved...

Message 1465 of 3,104
latest reply

I recently shipped an item to Australia using eBay's Global Shipping Program.  The item arrived at the U.S. center in Kentucky and was sent off as it should have been.  However, when the buyer received the item, it was badly damaged (he provided photographs).  This could only have been done during shipment from the U.S. facility to its destination.  I know that the shipping center is supposed to be responsible at this point, but I don't know how to handle the situation.  Who should be contacted and how do I ensure that both myself and the buyer aren't losing out on funds due to this?   I currently have great feedback and would like to resolve the situation without sacrificing my track record.  

Message 1466 of 3,104
latest reply

This case was incorrectly resolved, and it looks like you  will have to call Paypal. Ensure that the rep understands the GSP ships items from Erlanger that are covered by buyer protection, and if they do not understand this ask ro speak to a supervisor till you find someone who does understand what the rules are.

It may be advisable to read the full terms and conditions for buyers relating to the GSP, and print off the relevant paragraphs about buyer protection if you need to quote them.

Be calm and factual.

Message 1467 of 3,104
latest reply

The buyer can file an item for not as described. They may hold your money until they investigate but once they decide that the damage is their responsible, they will refund the buyer from their own funds and then take off the hold on your money.  You don't receive a defect for a gsp claim and a negative would be taken off....that's assuming that it is a problem caused by the gsp.

You can try phoning ebay and asking if they'll do the refund automatically but they might just advise you to tell the buyer to file the claim.

Message 1468 of 3,104
latest reply

As per the people at the post office it's 60 dollars, not 20.

As for my quote "Ebay is currently losing money"  You only quoted part of it.  They are losing money, from people who refuse to purchase from those using the GSP.  So yeah, while they are making money, they could have been making more money.

I'll stick with the fact I know I'm right and you are wrong.

Message 1469 of 3,104
latest reply

"As per the people at the post office it's 60 dollars, not 20."

Please take a good look at the official Government of Canada website:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

The exemption is $20.00 (except for "gifts" where it is $60)

Message 1470 of 3,104
latest reply

For readers who do not wish to click on the Canadian Government website link above, here is what it states:

Under the provisions of the Postal Imports Remission Order, if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, you don’t have to pay duty or taxes on the item.

If the item is worth more than CAN$20, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item’s full value.

Message 1471 of 3,104
latest reply

I haven't visited EBay for a while, and now that I scan thru, I'm seeing many sellers charging import fees that the shipper (Purolator or UPS etc) will also charge you on arrival.  Also seeing a lot of "Taxes and Duty" on used items that were never required to pay duty and certainly not taxes.  Looks like a money grab from here.

Message 1472 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi I was just wondering why my item said it would arrive by july 31 to aug 09 now it says unknown?
Message 1474 of 3,104
latest reply

Start an item not received claim with Paypal.

Be quite merciless with GSP items as the GSP,  not the seller will pay any refund.

The more complaints and refunds, the more likely the whole thing is to go away.

Message 1475 of 3,104
latest reply

I bought a guitar and now it is in Erlanger. On my order details page it said: Exception: Undeliverable-SYSTEM_ RESTRICTION. I live in Canada and bought the item from a US seller. So I don't really know wants going on there.

Message 1476 of 3,104
latest reply

see your other post.

Message 1477 of 3,104
latest reply

Good day guys! Pls help me out with my issue regarding pitney bowes inc. First I was trying to order watch to ebay. While proceeding with check out error occurred in the connection while login with my paypal acct. Suddenly when I check my paypal acct. Pitney bowes deducted me $56.16.right after I tried to refresh the purchase yo proceed for check out. Sadly pitneybowes deducted me again $56.16 total of $112.32. I contacted seller and responded the transaction didn't recorded with them. The problem is there is no item #, I couldn't file a complain on ebay. Pls advise me thanks a lot.
Message 1478 of 3,104
latest reply

First and foremost is to NEVER buy from any seller using the "Global Shipping Program" scam. Any auctions with it will say: 

Customs services and international tracking provided. Avoid these!

You will have to contact ebay and Pitney Bowes. The seller wont' be able to assist much if even at all.

Message 1479 of 3,104
latest reply

The problem is there is no item #, I couldn't file a complain on ebay.

If you ordered through eBay there is a transaction number. It is usually on the right side, below the box with contact information and near the item specifics.

Go to your Paypal account and check that you were indeed charged twice.

If you were:

Go to Paypal's Resolution Centre. Explain the problem-- which seems to be a duplicated charge. Ask that both charges be removed. You might also tell them that the ordered item has not arrived, but at this early point that is not useful, since teleportation machines are not much used to deliver parcels.

Often these glitches solve themselves or are even part of the program. For example, in my bank today I was charged a service fee which was then immediately removed. Both actions were automatic. Neither the teller nor I had to do anything.

Message 1480 of 3,104
latest reply