Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

pvcdmv
Community Member

Has anyone ever purchased an item that was shipped via the Global Shipping program and still had to pay duty when the item arrived?  UPS collected the full duty on an item that was shipped from the USA to Canada. The seller listed the item using the Global Shipping program so I have paid Pitney Bowes and UPS for the same item.  I understand that cross border shopping will incur a duty but having to pay twice is cruel and unusual.

Message 1661 of 3,104
latest reply

"UPS collected the full duty on an item that was shipped from the USA to Canada. "

That happened because the seller did not use GSP despite listing it as such.  The seller should have shipped to the eBay Distribution Centre in Kentucky as instructed by PayPal.  He did not.  Instead he shipped directly to you.

Contact the seller to confirm his error.

Then file a claim with PayPal for the amount paid to Pitney Bowes.

Message 1662 of 3,104
latest reply

The first step in any problem is to contact the seller. Have you done that? I take it he confirms that he sent your pastels.

So the next step is to escalate. This lets the seller off the hook, since he can show that he sent the parcel to Kentucky. He made no error.

The dispute will now be with Pitney Bowes/GSP. They usually don't want the problem items back either, so they just refund.  You get the money (Yeah!) and the books (hmm.)

Keep in touch with your seller. Ask politely if you can try again, this time without the GSP. This is especially important if the value of the chalks is under $50 or even $100. Let him know that he can ship directly to you using USPS First Class International and be covered by Delivery Confirmation. Often it is the DC that seals the deal for nervous US sellers.

The books may not have anything to do with your seller. Lord only knows who shipped them and who bought them. If you don't want them, once all the smoke has cleared, donate them to your local Friends of the Library bookstore.

Message 1663 of 3,104
latest reply

xtkax
Community Member

Hi, this is my first post.  I don't do a lot of buying on ebay, but i have never had to deal with this 'import charge' in the years that i have used this site until just this week.  I brought this up with the seller and they knew nothing of it.  I did some research on it, and have paid duty on imported items when they arrived at the post office to be picked up, but refuse to pay this extra fee at the ebay checkout, when there is no guarantee that it wiill offset that duty cost.  I managed to find an alternate way to purchase the product i was looking for, but will be keeping a keen eye open for this 'import charge' in the future, and flat out refusing to support it by not purchasing the product.  In my opinion, this 'import charge' seems like a greedy scam, which serves to line someone's pocket, resulting in less sales for sellers by and alienating potential buyers who will be put off by the outrageous cost (which is quite expensive).  This is just my humble opinion.

TL:DR version:

I refuse to support GSP/Import charges on ebay.  Please remove it, or i'll go elsewhere.

Message 1664 of 3,104
latest reply

I really don't like the GSP, so I'd prefer that all of us potential buyers contact the sellers before bidding, and come to an agreement where the item is shipped via USPS instead. This will alert the American sellers to the troubles with the GSP - that they don't even know they're enrolled in half the time, lol. On the other hand, if everyone who dislikes the GSP decides to leave ebay entirely (rather than asking politely to use USPS instead) then I suppose I'll be getting even better deals, with considerably less bidders to wrangle with. Hmmm....Cat Tongue

Message 1665 of 3,104
latest reply

but refuse to pay this extra fee at the ebay checkout, when there is no guarantee that it wiill offset that duty cost.

There is such a guarantee. However, in general you are right. Avoid it.

Message 1666 of 3,104
latest reply

Global Shipping Program.

You were told about the GSP import charges before you agreed to pay.

The import charges cover duty, provincial and federal sales taxes (HST), and a service fee of about $5 to PitneyBowes who run the program.

Any import valued at $20 CDN* or more can be charged applicable tax and duty.

It's the place of manufacture not the place of purchase that is important for tax. Your US made sweater may be dutyfree (NAFTA) but your Chinese made sweater, purchased from a US seller is not. Both are liable for sales tax.

*About $18 USD

Message 1667 of 3,104
latest reply

Thank you for the information.

Message 1668 of 3,104
latest reply

The Global Program is taking more money for duty than is required by the Canadian Border Services. Just one example is an item worth $20 requires $1.18 duty, plain & Simple, right? Nope!

Ebay is FORCING an import duty of over $8, when my government asks only $1.18. So, ebay is essentially adding 30% to the cost of the $20.

Another way to make profit at the expense of non us citizens. I know this will be removed as it is telling a truth ebay/kalvin do not want you to know.

Message 1669 of 3,104
latest reply

"Ebay is FORCING an import duty of over $8, when my government asks only $1.18"

???

Nobody is forcing anything on anyone.

Most Canadians correctly do not like to buy from sellers using GSP.  Solution: avoid those listings.

As far as taxes (not duty) are concerned, the charge by Pitney Bowes is lower than you would have paid through Canada Post.  While Pitney Bowes charges about $4/$5 handling fee, Canada Post charges a flat $9.95, when taxes are charged,  regardless of the amount of taxes payable.

Here is the link (one more time) to the official Government of Canada website on the subject:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Message 1670 of 3,104
latest reply

"when my government asks only $1.18. "

It should be noted that the tax (GST/HST) rate varies from province to province.

While the GST is only 5% on AB for example, folks in NS pay 15% HST, ON 13% HST, etc....

Message 1671 of 3,104
latest reply

Question 1:

Why is ebay charging $8 + for 'import charges' on a $20 item? The Canadian government requires only $1.12 for duty on a $20 purchase. That is over 25% to the total.

With the GSP cost of $27 for shipping + $8.50 'import duties' = the original $20 for item = $55.50!

Question 2: How can you/ebay justify this?

So ebay is getting $6.82 for essentially nothing. Yet another cash grab at the expense of the buyers from non u.s countries.

Message 1672 of 3,104
latest reply

Please read the two posts above.  They clearly answer both questions.

Message 1673 of 3,104
latest reply

rlcat
Community Member

does  Ebay  global shipping mean shipping by postal services rlcat

Message 1674 of 3,104
latest reply

Items do not travel internationally by post. They go as airfreight.

Message 1675 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi, I requested combined shipping from the buyer to which they assured me they could do it, however I have now been told it is out of their hands due to Global shipping!! Which now puts the postage at approx. $10.00 more than the two items combined in price! Is there away to combine the shipping to avoid these outrageous shipping fees? Thank You 🙂
Message 1676 of 3,104
latest reply

With GPS you are screwed. All the extra fees etc. will be charged to you. Avoid GSP!

Message 1677 of 3,104
latest reply

why is there a $20 charge on my invoice by a pitney bowes on a item i bought in the usa   i paid seller all fees  import shipping whatever  so what is that 

Message 1678 of 3,104
latest reply

Once they reach Canada, they go by either CanPar or Canada Post.

Message 1679 of 3,104
latest reply

@sylvster3 wrote:

Question 1:

Why is ebay charging $8 + for 'import charges' on a $20 item? The Canadian government requires only $1.12 for duty on a $20 purchase. That is over 25% to the total.

With the GSP cost of $27 for shipping + $8.50 'import duties' = the original $20 for item = $55.50!

Question 2: How can you/ebay justify this?

So ebay is getting $6.82 for essentially nothing. Yet another cash grab at the expense of the buyers from non u.s countries.

Could you please give us an item number that shows a situation like that.

Message 1680 of 3,104
latest reply