Questions about the Global Shipping Program

Do you have questions about the Global Shipping Program? Please post here & I'll do my best to track those answers down for you!

If you have any comments about the program, use this forum instead.

Thanks,

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 3,104
latest reply
3,103 REPLIES 3,103

Pitney Bowes charges all these custom and duty fees when the merchandise never went through customs and would not provide any paperwork from customs to substantiate all those so called fees paid to customs.

You will not see a customs form on your delivered package, but this does not mean it did not go through customs. It was cleared as just one item in a skip or container load of items.

Technically, PB is the importer of all GSP items, only they have any fiscal responsibility to or from Canada Customs.

Message 1721 of 3,104
latest reply

"but these have all been for items purchases without the GSP option."

Did you pay duty/import fees when item was delivered to your door?  If so, you would likely need to contact Canada Border Services to find out if they refund "import fees" on returned items. That's where all but $10 (carrier fee) went. I highly doubt you'll get the carrier fee back, as they did their duty (no pun intended).

Message 1722 of 3,104
latest reply

thetic72
Community Member

What to do next?

I purchased an item thorugh ebay and paid the shipping charges through the GSP (US to Canada).  That part is fine, I consider it part of the cost of the item I was bidding on.

My issue is:

-I paid the shipping charge to GSP (Pitney Bowes) and the Import Charges (for Duty and Taxes)

My package was NOT cleared by Pitney Bowes as per the agreement and I was charged again for Brokerage and Taxes upon delivery (if I did not pay the fee, the item would be sent back to the buyer).

I phoned multiple times to the ebay resolution centre and received the response ... we will call you back (they never do).

I was instructed to fax a copy of the import documentation I paid (which I did immediately) ... with no follow up from ebay.

I sent e-mails to ebay (through their issue resolution) with no reply.

Since Pitney Bowes did not act as my clearing agent, I am requesting a refund on the import charges (logical request).

I will not file a claim against the seller as they did not do anything wrong and funds for shipping were not paid to them.

ebay does not provide any issue resolution protocals for the GSP (even though it is a separate transaction)

paypal does not provide any issue resolution protocals for the GSP ( I haven't phone paypal yet, just tried their on-line dispute).

My GSP tracking on the item clearly indicates that import charges (duty and taxes) were required upon delivery.

Who do I need to contact to get this issue resolved?

Thank you

Message 1723 of 3,104
latest reply

I will not file a claim against the seller as they did not do anything wrong and funds for shipping were not paid to them.

Just about the only way this could have happened is if the seller sent to you directly.

What exactly does the tracking show? Either copy and paste it of do a screenshot and post that or at least confirm that tracking shows delivery to Erlanger, KY.

GSP items are cleared imwards in bulk,  by the time the local carrier gets them to deliver they are taxes paid imports. No GSP item will have a customs form CN22 on it.

Message 1724 of 3,104
latest reply

@thetic72 wrote:

What to do next?

My issue is:

-I paid the shipping charge to GSP (Pitney Bowes) and the Import Charges (for Duty and Taxes)

My package was NOT cleared by Pitney Bowes as per the agreement and I was charged again for Brokerage and Taxes upon delivery (if I did not pay the fee, the item would be sent back to the buyer).

I phoned multiple times to the ebay resolution centre and received the response ... we will call you back (they never do).

I was instructed to fax a copy of the import documentation I paid (which I did immediately) ... with no follow up from ebay.

I sent e-mails to ebay (through their issue resolution) with no reply.

Since Pitney Bowes did not act as my clearing agent, I am requesting a refund on the import charges (logical request).

ebay does not provide any issue resolution protocals for the GSP (even though it is a separate transaction)

paypal does not provide any issue resolution protocals for the GSP ( I haven't phone paypal yet, just tried their on-line dispute).

My GSP tracking on the item clearly indicates that import charges (duty and taxes) were required upon delivery.

Who do I need to contact to get this issue resolved?

Thank you

Depending upon the amount small claims court might be an idea. If what you state is correct then PB/eBay violated their own T&C in that what you had already paid was to cover that amount. The fact they have not responded is a good indication that they know they are in the wrong and figure if they ignore you long enough you will go away.  How much are we talking about? Did you talk to CBSA about getting hit twice for the duty and taxes, they might be able to help you.

Kind of makes you wonder how many people this has happened to and if they all started comparing notes  some smart lawyer could file a class action on it (pipe dream I know, but my pipe dream).

Message 1725 of 3,104
latest reply

I am going to contact the seller in to confirm they sent it via the GSP.  The only reason I kept on phoning ebay's customer support was the information I was given on my first call.

There is obviously the option that the seller didn't follow the instructions and did not send it via the GSP (even though payment went through Pitney Bowe).

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.

Message 1726 of 3,104
latest reply

You say you have tracking. This would make it entirely obvious if the item went by GSP or not. You have the package, did it have a CN22 form or not? (could be part of an ebay generated USPS label.

There is no need for uncertainty here.

Message 1727 of 3,104
latest reply

@afantiques wrote:

You say you have tracking. This would make it entirely obvious if the item went by GSP or not. You have the package, did it have a CN22 form or not? (could be part of an ebay generated USPS label.

There is no need for uncertainty here.

There was no CN22 form with the package. 

Based on all the comments, I sent a message to the seller. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.  

Message 1728 of 3,104
latest reply

I made a fairly large purchase from Canada using the Global Shipping Program (about $300). On top of that I paid exorbitant shipping and import fees, as per usual for that lovely program. When I received the item, I had to pay duty of $36.00 to receive my item. DOES THAT HELP?!?! (As you may surmise: NOT HAPPY!) - Groggy

Message 1729 of 3,104
latest reply

There was no CN22 form with the package. 

In that case who charged you the brokerage and taxes, and on what did they base it, since there was no item ID or value on the package?

Message 1730 of 3,104
latest reply

I made a fairly large purchase from Canada using the Global Shipping Program (about $300). On top of that I paid exorbitant shipping and import fees, as per usual for that lovely program. When I received the item, I had to pay duty of $36.00 to receive my item. DOES THAT HELP?!?! (As you may surmise: NOT HAPPY!) - Groggy

It sounds like the seller sent the item direct to you. Have you still get the packaging? Have you any tracking evidence for the item being sent to Erlanger.

Message 1731 of 3,104
latest reply

Hi,

I need the communities help. 🙂

After countless positive purchases on ebay and couple of bad ones resolved thru dispute center, I finally hit a snag:

I purchased an item from a seller located in the US who used the GSP to send the item to me. Everything went well until Canada Post "delivered" the item: I never received it! Canada Post insists it was delivered and that only the sender can file a complaint. The problem is that the "sender" is Pitney Bowes. 😕

What am I suppose to do now?! I sure ain't going to file a complaint against the seller... It's not his fault CP delivered it to someone else. This is a major problem if ebay has no recourse for the buyer/seller.

Any thought??!

Thanks!

Sim

Message 1732 of 3,104
latest reply

File the INR claim. The seller will not suffer as long as the item made it to the KY. depot. This will cause PB to sort it out with Canada post, or more likely simply refund you.

Any problems with the GSP as far as damage or non delivery go should attract a case being opened with Paypal, the sellers will not suffer because of GSP foul ups.

It happens too often that buyers do not want to see the seller suffer, but if they understood the rules of the program they would know the seller is not the one to make the refund.

Message 1733 of 3,104
latest reply

Directed to ask this question in this thread, though the question is about searching eBay listings.

If it is possible, how do I limit my search results to exclude items listed with GSP?

Message 1734 of 3,104
latest reply

How are the fee's collected by Ebay transferred to the country the product is shipped to? If Ebay US collects IMPORT fee's then they must be paying the country of entry. Can you please explain how this is done?

My guess is they do not pay anything and keep this fee.

Message 1735 of 3,104
latest reply

The whole "Global Shipping Program" seems to be a SCAM ... at least for items going from USA to Canada

via USPS ... typically for items less than $100 that arrive by mail, they just get delivered - no brokerage, duties, taxes, nothing! Perfect!!

If  the seller has signed up for the Global Shipping Scam, then eBay tacks on a pile of extra $, sometimes as much $50% it seems (nothing to do with our 13% HST) and who knows where that money goes!

And for low value items, UPS, FedEx, etc all add on a "brokerage fee+duties+taxes" that typically turns any  good deal into NOT such a good deal !!!

Best is no Global Shipping, and USPS for US to Canada ... painless !!!

Message 1736 of 3,104
latest reply

Can anyone give me some help? I have 2 seperate packages from 2 different sellers from 2 different parts of the U.S and yet supposedly they were both delivered last Friday October 17 @ 6:27 pm at the same time!!! Yet I haven't received either? That's just from eBay package tracking but that's all I have get to go on so.
I contacted my post office and Canpar and neither knows anything about them!
These are/were toys for my boys and so this is a first and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth considering I've been buying from eBay since 2008. UPAAA000000077273133 & UPAAB000000077834210
Message 1737 of 3,104
latest reply

PB and GSP are total jokes.

I have no clue why I keep supporting ebay and their idiocy. 

I bought a Sony Receiver via GSP this time and sure enough PB, instead of forwarding it to CP to have it delivered via Xpress Post since it comes from the US via USPS Priority as per the auction details, sent it via the cheaper route with CANPAR via 5 business day ground!?

So it left on the 15th from Toronto and I am still waiting for it to arrive.

Clearly this shows they are choosing whatever makes them the biggest profit and not following ebay nor the sellers' auction claim of specific shipping.

I should have had this on the 17th but instead I paid $60 for the priority shipping plus $40 in fees and it ships via ground???

What a joke...I wish Google would set up a proper awesome auction site with Google Checkout for payment, ebay & PP are crooks.

Message 1738 of 3,104
latest reply

@wheele44 wrote:
@Can anyone give me some help? I have 2 seperate packages from 2 different sellers from 2 different parts of the U.S and yet supposedly they were both delivered last Friday October 17 @ 6:27 pm at the same time!!! Yet I haven't received either? That's just from eBay package tracking but that's all I have get to go on so.
I contacted my post office and Canpar and neither knows anything about them!
These are/were toys for my boys and so this is a first and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth considering I've been buying from eBay since 2008. UPAAA000000077273133 & UPAAB000000077834210

Oh no...you had something delivered via CANPAR too!?

This now makes me really worried...**bleep** is PB doing using CANPAR ground on items we are paying for Priority!?

Message 1739 of 3,104
latest reply

eBay is into making money.  If they can have different "partners" all making money for them, eBay will never get too enthusiastic towards mistakes that cost other people.  I hope sellers will opt out of the GSP because they would only have more dissatisfied customers when things go wrong as the GSP is a very questionable program that would not supply paper work to justify all those so-called custom duties and taxes collected from Canadian buyers when most of the time the purchases never went through Canadian Customs to be billed.  It is always so much cheaper for sellers to use local postal service as they can request a signature and track the delivery progress.

Message 1740 of 3,104
latest reply