Refund received. Item arrived later

Hi!

I placed a refund request for an item I had not received. I got my refund. Surprise! Later the item finally arrived.

Should I pay back the seller?

If so, how should I proceed?

manfred99 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Yes you should pay back your seller.  It is the right & honest thing to do.  I've had this happen to me a few times when ordering from China. It can take up to 2 months to get. Let the seller know that you have received the item & want to pay him back. They can either send you a new invoice or you can send funds to them directly from PayPal using their e-mail address.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@manfred99 wrote:

Hi!

I placed a refund request for an item I had not received. I got my refund. Surprise! Later the item finally arrived.

If so, how should I proceed?

manfred99 

I can't believe that is a question! Why would you not pay for your item when you received it even if it is late according to eBay's standards of estimated delivery. Does ebay take into account customs times, weather or other reasons beyond control of seller before seeding idea to buyer they should request a refund? Even with tracking items show delay and sellers get blamed. By the way sellers know who cheats them because they do not get item back as returned mail...

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Go to Paypal-> Send Money-> and enter the email address attached to the original payment and the subsequent refund.

Because there was a Claim, you can't leave feedback, but if any feedback is still in place, you can add a Response to the FB.

"Perfect item held up in shipping. Refund repaid." for example.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@manfred99 wrote:

Was the item shipped with the Global Shipping Program (GSP)?

If it was, then no repayment is due because the seller kept the money from the sale. If you feel uneasy about keeping both the item and the money, you can always donate that amount to a charity that matters to you.

If the item was not shipped with the GSP, then the proper thing is to repay the seller, as the other posters have already said.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I had the same sort of thing happening to me bought something ,didn't receive it on the expected date, filed a claim, got refunded, two weeks after my refund the item arrived, refunded the seller but for some reason the seller did not take the money  and was is still in my paypal  account a week or so after,

I'm sure there's a logical explanation..

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Was GSP involved? If so, the seller did not pay for the refund, GSP/Pitney Bowes did and the seller was not out any money.
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

No the GSP was not involved,it was a direct transaction between me and the seller.
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Hello 'patken', 

<<...bought something ,didn't receive it ..., filed a claim, got refunded, ... item arrived, refunded the seller but for some

reason the seller did not take the money  and was is still in my paypal  account >>

If you just used the Send Money option and did not contact the seller first to arrange the refund, likely he saw the 

'You've got money' email and suspected a phishing scam.  After all, it is extremely rare for a person to pay back a refund.

The reason for filing premature claims is to get freebies when some poor seller uses cheap untracked shipping and then 

cannot "prove delivery".

So if you want to pay back your seller and shock him into cardiac arrest (heh), send him a kindly worded message of 

apology and explain that you have tried to repay him with no luck.  If it was really low cost and you are super sweet 

he might even tell you to keep it.  

I had that.  I ordered a DVD from France that was taking forever.  This was when the "file by" date was 45 days.  

On day 43 I whined to the seller, he asked if I wanted a refund or replacement.  I secretly wanted my money because 

I suspected him of forgetting to mail it but if I said "refund" he would assume I was just another bad buyer looking for 

a freebie.  Besides, I wanted the movie.

So just over a week later it arrives, -- the first one!  Sure enough, a few more days later and the second one arrives.

I apologized profusely, saying I wanted to repay him.  He thanked me for my honesty with equal enthusiasm, and

said not to bother.  I asked him to resend the invoice, and he refused.  I said I would buy more items and he could

take the 'multiples' discount off and I would pay full price.  He said no, if I want more I can have the same discount as

everyone else.  This other one was a gift, he insisted.  

Well, it sure beats ending up on a blocked list. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

ay656
Community Member

Happened to me once,

I went to eBay, bough exact the same item and immediately left positive feedback. I then wrote to the seller and told him what I did and explained that he doesn't need to send me anything because I already have my item. He thanked me. Guess what, two months later I receive the second item!

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

<<Happened to me once,   ...  wrote to the seller ... and explained that he doesn't need to send me anything because

I already have my item. He thanked me. Guess what, two months later I receive the second item!>>

Haha, thanks for sharing!  That gave me really good giggle. Smiley Very Happy

(I love a happy story) 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

"If you just used the Send Money option and did not contact the seller first to arrange the refund"
I did contact the seller,she acknowledged I was planning to refund her,she did receive the refund but reversed it 2 days later and gave no explanation as to why.
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

hp2go
Community Member
I wish my buyer from Thailand was as honest. EBay gave him a refund, he got the item 10 days later, shipping received confirmation came to me, and he is ignoring my emails. EBay will not do anything for me, and I am out $330 USD. I am absolutely devastated!
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

ay656
Community Member

@hp2go wrote:
I wish my buyer from Thailand was as honest. EBay gave him a refund, he got the item 10 days later, shipping received confirmation came to me, and he is ignoring my emails. EBay will not do anything for me, and I am out $330 USD. I am absolutely devastated!

May be it is worth contacting PayPal?

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I bet you filed a item not delivered when it was out of the control of the seller.. because of shipping being delayed.. give the seller his money..  Thats the right thing to do...   this is why most sellers will not ship out of there own country..  all it takes is one time..

if you have intentions of paying the seller.. talk to those involved and make it right.. 

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

Belated happy first birthday, thread!

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

This is not as simple as it seems.

I am in this same situation.

I was refunded and the item arrived later.

I want to pay for the item but there are 2 issues.

1) I do not have the seller's emails address. I paid through ebay. I had multiple items in my cart and paid with paypal via ebay. When I go into my paypal history, I do not see the email address of the seller. I see only their ebay user name.

2) I have asked the seller to send me an invoice but this may get them into trouble with ebay as their seller fees would have been refunded and ebay may say that this is circumventing fees.

I sent a message to ebay explaining the situation but I did not get a response.

What gives? Would ebay rather I rip off the seller just because they are not getting their fees?

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@thermos1 wrote:

1) I do not have the seller's emails address. I paid through ebay. I had multiple items in my cart and paid with paypal via ebay. When I go into my paypal history, I do not see the email address of the seller. I see only their ebay user name.

2) I have asked the seller to send me an invoice but this may get them into trouble with ebay as their seller fees would have been refunded and ebay may say that this is circumventing fees.

The seller only got his fees back if he cancelled the transaction. A simple refund does not give the fees back to the seller. Unless he calls eBay. But most sellers won't bother.

On the transaction details in PayPal, you should be able to see the email address by clicking on "View on old version" or something along that line. I don't remember the exact wording.

By the way, this is an old thread. Another thread should have been opened.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

eBay won't get involved in a situation like that. 

When you made the purchase and when you paid you should have received an email from PP and eBay...perhaps the sellers email address is on one of the email??

The seller definitely has your email address from when you made the purchase so probably the easiest thing to do is to tell the seller that you received the item and you would like to repay him.  Let him figure out how to send you an invoice.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Of course,   you should pay, what a question.  Happened to me twice this year

Message 20 of 23
latest reply