Replacement for defective item never came, buyer orotection expired

So I buy this Pokemon game for my gbc, from Canada. Shipment says 2-16 days. I receive it lil late but I receive it.

the game works for a few days, then stops working. Took about a week of arguing with the seller to finally have him ship a replacement. I didn't open a ticket then. And I thought It would be fine.... but... still haven't got the replacement and,
its been now so long that I'm waiting, that my buyer guarantee expired. I opened a request but it's too late. Before opening the ticket, the seller admitted that the item was shipped from china! But the listing states that the item is located in Canada and that was why I paid 11$, to avoid shipment issues, because I could have bought it for 3$ from china!!

eBay requested shipping information from seller, seller gave a fake shipping number. And seller is now ignoring my refund request.

So, it was on February 18, that I was promised replacement for the defective game and, I was told that the item was going to be Here in 10 business days. It never came.
March 13 I asked seller if he had a tracking number. I was told no tracking number, the item came from China, and that they would call customs same day and let me know. March 16, I still had no news. I sent a message, saying I was waiting, nothing. So I had to send another message, and explain that I was about to request a refund. The seller replied on March 19, saying that it passed customs. No details about when it did, but I know that he supposedly contacted them March 13. The parcel is still not here now. I filled request for refund. Seller gave a fake tracking number, and is ignoring my request for refund.

1- Item was defective, took seller a week of arguing to finally send replacement.
2- Seller item is located in China (usually up to 2-3 months shipping), NOT Canada as advertised with only 2-16 days shipping...
3- New item never came,
3- Seller gives eBay fake tracking information. Seller admitted in message to me through eBay not having any tracking number. Just by looking at the number, you can tell it's fake. I still tried it but of course it came out as invalid and parcel not found or not received.
4- Buyer guarantee expired... I'm guessing eBay won't refund.
5- Seller ignores my request for refund, of course, knowing that I can't rate anymore.

I had time to buy from someone else and receive it lol 😕

eBay phone contact isn't clickable, I can't even rate the buyer anymore either.
I can't even find how to message eBay about this specific issue (there's a lot to explain), it keeps sending me to resolution center, where the seller is ignoring me and I get no news from eBay.

What I'm I supposed to do now, besides waiting for something that I paid for but may most likely never arrive, and I may not get refunded either. I may seem impatient, but I can't help but thinking that the seller knew what he was doing from the start.

Im just glad it was not anything expensive.

Still scary and not fair. I'm going to make sure that this kind of issue never gets to this point anymore.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Go directly to Paypal. Open a case there. You will have to prove Return Shipping on a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD). It sounds like your seller gamed you there by fobbing you off with an offer to replace that never came and stalling you until ebay Buyer Protection ran out.

Now you're stuck with paypal Buyer Protection which is good for 180 days BUT, if you want a refund on the original purchase price, will require you to prove you have returned it to the seller with tracking. Is the cost of the game higher than your TRACKED cost of postage to send it back? I sincerely hope so.

At best, you get most of your money back on this. That being the difference between the cost of the game and the cost to return it. If you call paypal and give them your side of the story and you are a good customer without any claims on your profile, they might throw you a bone. You cannot count on that but Customer Service Reps often have some leeway with cases when buyers and sellers take the time to call and talk to them about it.

At worse, you have learned an expensive lesson. Don't get into a discussion with your seller unless it is someone with whom you have a prior working relationship and know they can be trusted. Don't accept an offer to replace from your seller unless it is someone with whom you have a prior working relationship and know they can be trusted. Instead, take your refund ASAP and try again.

What should have happened with an ebay Moneyback Guarantee (MBG) claim is that you open a SNAD case and the seller is obligated to send you postage for the return. You send it back, they refund you. The end. The clincher is that the ebay MBG is only good for 30 days form the final estimated delivery date. It sounds like this was pushing it to start.

Good luck and let us know how this works out for you. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

you have 180 days to file with paypal..

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

That's good news, now will PayPal just take the fake shipping tracking number and say that the seller doesn't have to refund? Or are they really going to investigate?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Go directly to Paypal. Open a case there. You will have to prove Return Shipping on a Significantly Not As Described (SNAD). It sounds like your seller gamed you there by fobbing you off with an offer to replace that never came and stalling you until ebay Buyer Protection ran out.

Now you're stuck with paypal Buyer Protection which is good for 180 days BUT, if you want a refund on the original purchase price, will require you to prove you have returned it to the seller with tracking. Is the cost of the game higher than your TRACKED cost of postage to send it back? I sincerely hope so.

At best, you get most of your money back on this. That being the difference between the cost of the game and the cost to return it. If you call paypal and give them your side of the story and you are a good customer without any claims on your profile, they might throw you a bone. You cannot count on that but Customer Service Reps often have some leeway with cases when buyers and sellers take the time to call and talk to them about it.

At worse, you have learned an expensive lesson. Don't get into a discussion with your seller unless it is someone with whom you have a prior working relationship and know they can be trusted. Don't accept an offer to replace from your seller unless it is someone with whom you have a prior working relationship and know they can be trusted. Instead, take your refund ASAP and try again.

What should have happened with an ebay Moneyback Guarantee (MBG) claim is that you open a SNAD case and the seller is obligated to send you postage for the return. You send it back, they refund you. The end. The clincher is that the ebay MBG is only good for 30 days form the final estimated delivery date. It sounds like this was pushing it to start.

Good luck and let us know how this works out for you. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I filled case with PayPal. I'm pretty sure the shipping will be lower than 11,99$. When they will ask for return, I won't use tracking (costs less) and I will take a small video (cuz anyone could photoshop) of receipt and send it to PayPal.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

That won't suffice. It has to be Tracked or you don't get your money back, period.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

It's automatic. Delivered equals refund. No confirmation of delivery and the case will close without you getting your refund.

That's the reason I encouraged you to call PayPal about it. To see if MAYBE they'll give you money to fund the cost of return postage.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I will try that tomorrow then. Ty 🙂

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Explain everything you went through with the seller on eBay. Maybe PayPal will understand your position. Good luck.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

You ship it to the seller, not to the shipper.

If the seller is in Canada , you ship tracked (which includes Regular Parcel and Expedited Parcel) to the Canadian address.

Although a lot of stuff is made in China, it is made for , to the standards of, and shipped to the Western company.

If you are being shipped directly from China, there is a very good chance that you were sold a counterfeit. Which would explain why it broke down within days.

BUT YOU MUST USE TRACKING.

Fortunately, the only Canada Post services that don't include tracking are Letter and Light Packet. If your game is over 2cm thick or 500 grams, you can't use those anyway.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I have almost the exact same problem. It has been going on for about six months. The seller claims to have shipped the replacement for the defective item twice but I still have not received it.  When I agreed and then asked for a promised refund they don't. They just keep going round and around in circles. I have saved all of the message history because it seemed shady from the start. But  what the heck do I do now? 

image.pngimage.png

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

If your seller can't prove that they sent a replacement, I'm thinking that they may have no proof that you received your original item, either.

If your seller sent your item with no tracking, I'd say you're within your rights to file an "item not received" claim with PayPal, assuming you still have time to do so.

If your seller has proof that you received your original item, you'll have to file a "not as described" claim with PayPal, and that may be a bit dicey if you've returned the item by a non-trackable shipping method.

Again, this is assuming that you're still within PayPal's six-month window for non-receipt or damage claims.

Good luck.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

If your seller can't prove that they sent a replacement, I'm thinking that they may have no proof that you received your original item, either.

Or that neither the original nor the replacement ever existed or ever was sent.

The PAYPAL Resolution Centre is under Tools at the top of your PP account page.

The first suggestion is to contact the seller.

You already have, so skip that and escalate to a Claim.

If the seller cannot prove DELIVERY (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Femme, the buyer wouldn't know that their item was defective if it never had been sent in the first place. 😉
Message 14 of 14
latest reply